Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Tour at Fremont Model 3 pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
We're picking up our Model 3 Friday at Fremont. Has anyone who's picked up theirs in the last few weeks been offered the factory tour when you get there? Do you have to request it ahead of time? Is it even offered for M3 like it was for our Model S pickup?

--josh

Hi Josh. Factory tour is available to the most 3 highest expensive model owners so far (which is not Model 3):

See:

Factory Tour Inquiry for Model 3 Reservation Holder
"Thank you for your interest in visiting us at the Tesla Factory in Fremont! Currently, our tour program is only available for Roadster, Model S and Model X owners. It is not open to Model 3 reservation holders, shareholders, or the general public at this time. "
That response from Tesla was to an inquiry made in February. Back then, there were no Model 3 owners since the car hadn't been released yet. In general, merely having a reservation (non-owner) would not qualify you for a tour, regardless of the model reserved. Now that there are Model 3 owners, is there any indication they would not also be eligible?

Hi Josh,
It seems you already own a Model S (and/or Roadster) -- Correct?

If so, as a CURRENT OWNER, you are allowed to tour the factory one time a calendar year, with up to three guests.
Typically, there is a (slight) two-four week window of time before your visit to Fremont to confirm the day and time for your factory tour with the Tour Coordinator.
Your local Service Center can provide the current contact information, or they can contact the factory and the Tour Coordinator may be able to reach out to you.

If they do not have the space on a tour (most of the other people who will be picking up their cars on Friday are probably also current Roadster, Model S or Model X owners and their guests), adequate staff due to the holidays or the factory is not open, Tesla might NOT be able to accommodate you this Friday.

This is really a short window of time to contact and confirm, so the likelihood of this happening (one day notice) is very slim.

The tours are typically available Monday to Friday, and not on several major holidays.

I requested a tour four days before our 12/26 pick up and received the email below:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Factory Tours! We can’t wait to show you our ground breaking facility and how we make our revolutionary vehicles. Due to the overwhelming amount of tour requests we receive, our team will respond to you within the next 48 business hours. Our schedule fills up 3 to 4 weeks in advance so unfortunately, last minute requests cannot be accommodated.

If you are a Tesla owner, please provide us with your reservation number or VIN for us to reference your account.

Thank you and we look forward to your visit.

Tesla Tours

Hi Josh,
It seems you already own a Model S (and/or Roadster) -- Correct?

If so, as a CURRENT OWNER, you are allowed to tour the factory one time a calendar year, with up to three guests.
Typically, there is a (slight) two-four week window of time before your visit to Fremont to confirm the day and time for your factory tour with the Tour Coordinator.
Your local Service Center can provide the current contact information, or they can contact the factory and the Tour Coordinator may be able to reach out to you.

If they do not have the space on a tour (most of the other people who will be picking up their cars on Friday are probably also current Roadster, Model S or Model X owners and their guests), adequate staff due to the holidays or the factory is not open, Tesla might NOT be able to accommodate you this Friday.

This is really a short window of time to contact and confirm, so the likelihood of this happening (one day notice) is very slim.

The tours are typically available Monday to Friday, and not on several major holidays.

"you are allowed to tour the factory one time a calendar year, with up to three guests."
I didn't know this, I thought you only got one tour as a Tesla owner, I didn't know you could go multiple times. So each year you can request another tour?

I can concur that they don't offer the factory tours as part of the pickup of your Model 3. I pick my Model 3 up tomorrow and asked that question yesterday that if I want the factory tour, I would need to schedule it 3 to 4 weeks in advance. This was not the case when I picked up my Model S.

I can concur that they don't offer the factory tours as part of the pickup of your Model 3. I pick my Model 3 up tomorrow and asked that question yesterday that if I want the factory tour, I would need to schedule it 3 to 4 weeks in advance. This was not the case when I picked up my Model S.

The tours can be busy, we had to book over a month in advance when we got our Model X

It's a valid argument so let's look at the wording again:

"Currently, our tour program is only available for Roadster, Model S and Model X owners."

Now, it is December, I suppose the policy could be revised to include Model 3 owners but I haven't heard any change just yet!
Sorry to belabor the point, but the Model 3 wasn't included in that sentence because there was no such thing as a Model 3 owner when that statement was made. The only possible Tesla owners at the time were those for the Roadster, Model S and Model X. I don't think a policy change is necessary to include Model 3 owners... they just need to start delivering the cars so the "Tesla owner" criterion is met.

I guess we'll know for sure once non-owners start getting Model 3 deliveries and they try to schedule a factory tour (not necessarily on delivery day). ;)

Last edited:
In any case, if I’m not mistaken, the factory is not running this last week of December so, there’s probably not much to see of interest.

I had my first tour in early-Jan 2013 on a day when, as I recall, the factory workers got the time off after a crazy finish to 2012. With no lines running, it wasn’t as interesting as when we had a tour in late 2014 when we picked up our second S when we saw all the big robots and the main assembly line in action.

I didn't know this, I thought you only got one tour as a Tesla owner, I didn't know you could go multiple times. So each year you can request another tour?

My first Factory Tour was 2014, then 2016, then again in 2017.
Only two more factory tours, and I get a Jacket. (jk)

Each tour time, there are more areas revealed and then to (visually) learn and discover.

First tour was overwhelming: lots of product (glass for windows, racks of stamped metal, seats, etc.) stored inside, major portions of the old factory needed to be "Freshened Up", somewhat constrained assembly line (figure-8 configuration!). Lots of employee/workers on bicycles inside the plant. We were allowed to walk amongst two Roadsters (one was only a model) and three early versions of Model S at end of tour.

2016 Factory Tour, just prior to Gigafactory opening party: A Mini-United Nations assemblage of tour participants: Germany, Australia, Finland, England, Russia, maybe France (?), Canada, etc. Even a Model S owner I know from DFW was there with her family (unplanned meeting--serendipity). Major portions of the factory have been completely repainted and refurbished. Model S and Model X on same assembly line, left-hand drive and right-hand drive units all mixed together, (as previously stated: it was like a mini-UN). End of tour had same two Roadsters and three Model S, and a bit of history about each.

2017 Factory Tour. The BEST. Very small group, only five tour participants. So with the tour Guide, it was six total. He drove us to more remote parts of the factory because the vehicle was a single four-wheeled cart, and it could reverse and turn around, not the extended tram (as on previous tours) with multiple carts attached. I had previously met one of the other tour participants (from Austin, TX), and met his wife. Saw beginnings of Model 3 Assembly Line. No sign of the Roadsters and the Model Ss at the end of the tour. We were wowed by TWO Model 3s in the parking lot (employee's cars).
In my Opinion, Smaller tour group is best due to direct interaction with the Tour Guide and seeing several things up close that a tram would not be able to get near.

Worth IT.

Plan ahead, make it happen for YOU!!!

Good. I would be very disappointed if I couldn't do the factory tour. I'm planning on doing a factory tour as part of my delivery in Fremont. I understand the delivery center is separate from the factory now, which is fine, but wanted to do them both. I'm fine with coordinating it a few weeks or months ahead.

Is there any reason you would not just let them deliver to you and then just drive your Tesla up to the factory at a later date once you've scheduled the tour? I'm in LA area and figure this means that I get to drive the Tesla BOTH ways...

Well, since you asked... Here's a great way to expire multiple avian critters at the same time, those being a) removing the variables of transportation and delivery *twitch*, b) seeing some schweet scenery that's otherwise largely inaccessible on the way up, and c) having a proper shakedown cruise/run back to LA, with more than adequate support along the way (SCs at Atascadero, Buellton, Oxnads, with more on deck - useful to have multiple options especially if you want to leverage the coast as much as possible).

From LA, get thee hence to Union Station after having made advance reservations for the Coast Starlight - this specific train is an important distinction, as it has restored 1930s parlor cars. Also, whether 1 of you or 2 of youse, I strongly recommend a sleeperette, which a) counts as first class accommodation, b) includes meal service to your seat(s) and a friendly porter who will attend to your every whim, and c) is a decent size for a day trip well away from the teeming GUM* in coach. For bonus points, figure out upon which side of the train to sit to ensure an ocean view during the trip north from LA to San Jose.

From the San Jose train station, it's an easy Uber to the well-appointed Marriott that's across from the factory, and from there a free shuttle across the freeway in the morning. Don't forget to schedule the paperwork for *first thing* when they open, and even then there may not be enough time to complete a proper inspection, due bill negotiation for what they can fix there and then versus back in LA, and so forth (including a request for them to supercharge the car to 90%-100% before it's time for the mid-morning tour. Ensure a mid-morning tour (well in advance as noted above) since thereafter you can finish up whatever details remain and still get on the road midday and back to LA in time for a late dinner.

* GUM = great unwashed masses, which may or may not include screaming urchins and, as bad, the occasional and dreaded CK**.
** Chatty Kathy.