Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Tour - My opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took the tour at the Fremont Tesla Factory and I left with mixed feelings.

The good news: First, I really like my Tesla. The people at the factory were very friendly. I left feeling good about buying a car made by a 100% American Company. I feel good about supporting Tesla by buying their products and I really hope that Tesla succeeds and grows.

However, I would suggest to Elon that he has his team clean up the factory. If the purpose of the tour is to showoff Tesla's quality then the factory really needs to be more pristine. Yes I know Fremont is an older factory, but the factory floor had dirt, bolts, and trash throughout. Trashy and Quality don't fit well together. The condition of the factory reflects the pride put into the car. I've been in many domestic and import car factories, and the Tesla Factory looked surprisingly messy.

• Informative
Reactions: Anzir
I recently took the tour at the Fremont Tesla Factory and I left with mixed feelings.

The good news: First, I really like my Tesla. The people at the factory were very friendly. I left feeling good about buying a car made by a 100% American Company. I feel good about supporting Tesla by buying their products and I really hope that Tesla succeeds and grows.

However, I would suggest to Elon that he has his team clean up the factory. If the purpose of the tour is to showoff Tesla's quality then the factory really needs to be more pristine. Yes I know Fremont is an older factory, but the factory floor had dirt, bolts, and trash throughout. Trashy and Quality don't fit well together. The condition of the factory reflects the pride put into the car. I've been in many domestic and import car factories, and the Tesla Factory looked surprisingly messy.
Remind me not to invite you to my home

I'm surprised. When I toured a few years ago, it was close to pristine.

I toured yesterday. It looked clean to me. Full of smiling and waving employees. The overall mood there was very positive and upbeat. I wish the tour had been longer. I was sad for it to end.
Same feeling I had (Aug 17 tour). I wanted to go back and get in line for the next tour. Twas not to be. As to the OP, I could have eaten off the floor when I toured, so I suspect it's a recent issue that can (or has) been rectified by now.

Hm... I've been there several times over the years (all the way back to 2013) and have never seen it look like you describe it... Not saying it can't look like that but I'm saying that seems to be the exception and not the norm...

Jeff

The drone fly-overs seem to show increasing numbers of what appear to be piles of debris, refuse, scrap, construction spoils, etc. located through-out the site. Once Tesla emerges from its current level of production hell, some house-keeping might improve efficiency.

Reactions: Enginerd
We were there first week of May and had the completely opposite feeling about the factory. In fact we commented among ourselves and friends we were with that it looked really clean. I remember when I was a kid touring a GM plant where my dad worked and that was kind of dark and depressing as I recall. The white of the factory had a nice clean look and loved the Tesla red accents. We went away pretty impressed with the process, the factory and the car.

The drone fly-overs seem to show increasing numbers of what appear to be piles of debris, refuse, scrap, construction spoils, etc. located through-out the site. Once Tesla emerges from its current level of production hell, some house-keeping might improve efficiency.

I see a lot less "debris" in this video than I've seen in past ones.

All operations generate scrap, and it doesn't teleport itself away.