TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Factory Tour - My opinion

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Walter A, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Walter A

Walter A Member

I recently took the tour at the Fremont Tesla Factory and I left with mixed feelings.

The good news: First, I really like my Tesla. The people at the factory were very friendly. I left feeling good about buying a car made by a 100% American Company. I feel good about supporting Tesla by buying their products and I really hope that Tesla succeeds and grows.

However, I would suggest to Elon that he has his team clean up the factory. If the purpose of the tour is to showoff Tesla's quality then the factory really needs to be more pristine. Yes I know Fremont is an older factory, but the factory floor had dirt, bolts, and trash throughout. Trashy and Quality don't fit well together. The condition of the factory reflects the pride put into the car. I've been in many domestic and import car factories, and the Tesla Factory looked surprisingly messy.

• Informative x 1
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe the result of "production hell"? Hopefully, once production stabilizes, there will be opportunity to return it to a more pristine state.

• Like x 4
  3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Re-member

I was there in January '17 and thought it was quite clean. So I'm guessing indeed, "production hell" had something to do with it on your visit.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

I took the factory tour in Oct'16 and also thought the place was very clean. So yeah, +1 for the production hell idea

• Like x 3
  5. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Remind me not to invite you to my home

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 1
  6. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

I'm surprised. When I toured a few years ago, it was close to pristine.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I toured yesterday. It looked clean to me. Full of smiling and waving employees. The overall mood there was very positive and upbeat. I wish the tour had been longer. I was sad for it to end.

• Like x 4
  8. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Same feeling I had (Aug 17 tour). I wanted to go back and get in line for the next tour. Twas not to be. As to the OP, I could have eaten off the floor when I toured, so I suspect it's a recent issue that can (or has) been rectified by now.

9. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Hm... I've been there several times over the years (all the way back to 2013) and have never seen it look like you describe it... Not saying it can't look like that but I'm saying that seems to be the exception and not the norm...

Jeff

10. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

The factory was quite clean the past 3 years I have been there. Most recently was in May.

I've been there when it was Nummi. It was dark and dirty, the complete opposite of today.

11. Cartegena

Cartegena Member

The drone fly-overs seem to show increasing numbers of what appear to be piles of debris, refuse, scrap, construction spoils, etc. located through-out the site. Once Tesla emerges from its current level of production hell, some house-keeping might improve efficiency.

• Like x 1
  12. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

We were there first week of May and had the completely opposite feeling about the factory. In fact we commented among ourselves and friends we were with that it looked really clean. I remember when I was a kid touring a GM plant where my dad worked and that was kind of dark and depressing as I recall. The white of the factory had a nice clean look and loved the Tesla red accents. We went away pretty impressed with the process, the factory and the car.

13. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

I see a lot less "debris" in this video than I've seen in past ones.

All operations generate scrap, and it doesn't teleport itself away.