Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory tour worth the trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Pennsylvania, but will be headed to the west coast in a few months. I'm considering making a stop for the factory tour - assuming a mere reservation holder is eligible. Has anyone taken the trip recently? I heard it's all on a tram now. Anything else in the area worth checking out? Thanks!

I'm in Pennsylvania, but will be headed to the west coast in a few months. I'm considering making a stop for the factory tour - assuming a mere reservation holder is eligible. Has anyone taken the trip recently? I heard it's all on a tram now. Anything else in the area worth checking out? Thanks!

I have also heard that the factory tour is like winning "Willy Wonka's magic ticket".
So, I reached out to the factory, and have been informed by the manager in charge of tours that factory tours are typically available Monday - Thursday, excluding major holidays.
The LAST tour is Monday June 30th as the month of July is completely blacked-out, and tours begin again on Monday August 4th.
PM if you need the contact info.

Other things to check out in North California (my short list):
Muir Woods Monument
Sausalito
San Francisco (at least 3 days)
Harbor Cruise
Alcatraz
Point Lobos
17 Mile Drive
Monterrey Aquarium
Carmel
San Jose Winchester Mansion
Berkeley
Livermore (tons of wind-turbines, every configuration imaginable)
Napa and Sonoma Valley Vineyards

If you have some extra time:
Mid-Coast California, Big Sur Park
Post Ranch Inn (must be guest to be on grounds)
Ventana (right across the road)
Hearst Castle (near Cambria)
Pacific Coast Highway, headed North (inboard-side) from Cambria
Yosemite National Park

I have also heard that the factory tour is like winning "Willy Wonka's magic ticket".

I might have been the one with the 'Wonka's Chocolate Factory' reference, though I'm sure there have been others. But, for the record:

1. I am unequivocally not equating Tesla factory workers to Oompa Loompas.
2. I am not saying any of your children resemble Augustus Gloop or Violet Beauregard.
3. I am categorically convinced Elon is Willy Wonka.

Go on the tour, it's awesome!

I went on the tour in January. it is a gigantic facility...I knew going in it was big but couldn't appreciate its size without actually being there. The tour itself was educational and interesting, there were several things I was impressed with.

Mike's Original By The Bucket on Stevens Creek Blvd in San Jose - Bill Gates eats there.

I'm sitting in the bar one night, and Bill Gates walks in. The bartender is a beautiful ex-Raiderette. Beautiful but, oh well, Bill talks to her for few moments..........and says, you don't know who I am. Do ya? I smile every time I think of that moment.

Just went on the tour a couple weeks. It was awesome to see the birthplace of my car! The tour is via tram but you do get off in a few places to walk around. The tour groups are small so it's easy to ask questions. To me, it's a must see for every Tesla owner or soon-to-be owner! We saw everything from the presses all the way to the test drive area plus the newly covered up/hidden Model X production area...lol

Having vague thoughts about eventual factory pick up when I purchase a Gen3. Is it worth trying to do (along with a tour)? Are there any cost savings for driving back to the East Coast versus having the car shipped, or added costs related to California tax?

Having vague thoughts about eventual factory pick up when I purchase a Gen3. Is it worth trying to do (along with a tour)? Are there any cost savings for driving back to the East Coast versus having the car shipped, or added costs related to California tax?

When I tried to do the same last year for my MS pick-up at the factory, I was told that if the car is picked up in California, regardless of the state it is going to be registered in, the buyer has to pay California sales tax. Needless to say, I've picked the car up in my home state...

One thing I did not research, is whether other states neighboring California have the same draconian rules.