Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory tow hitch blinker speed issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying out our factory fitted M3 towing kit for the first time (bought 11/2019).
Seem to have a strange lighting issue with the indicators / hazard lights.
On Hazard, the car blinkers go at normal speed and the bike rack ones go at about half speed.
On Turn Signal, the car blinkers go at 2x normal flash rate and the bike rack goes at approx 1/4 speed.

Bike rack bulbs are NOT LED, they are tungsten / resistive type.
Other bike rack lights (side and brake) are fine.

Being in trailer mode makes no difference.

Car is on 2022.12.3.2 in UK

Anyone seen this and know what might be wrong?

Last edited:
Factory two hitch? For the 3? Is that something Tesla used to sell but discontinued before I purchased in March 2021? Does it include a "tow mode" like with the Model Y hitch so that the rear proximity sensors aren't constantly complaining?

Yes in 2019 it was factory fit option for UK. Yes includes Tow mode.

While this is totally appropriate in the model 3 subforum, being a model 3 topic and all, you might get a better response in the UK and Ireland subforum. The model 3 has never had a factory tow hitch in the US, and most "UK and Ireland" discussion happens in that subforum. Since this was available there and not here, you might get more response there.

Reactions: Jejunjm and rpiotro
While this is totally appropriate in the model 3 subforum, being a model 3 topic and all, you might get a better response in the UK and Ireland subforum. The model 3 has never had a factory tow hitch in the US, and most "UK and Ireland" discussion happens in that subforum. Since this was available there and not here, you might get more response there.
Thanks - good point. I’m not a frequent poster and had missed the UK forum. Now cross linked to there.

Whenever I've had a fast blinker, ie 2x the normal speed, it's been a blown bulb somewhere.
This was going to be my reply as well. In addition to an actual blown bulb, I’ve had this happen on my 3 with a corroded connector in the 3rd party wiring extension. I believe it boils down to the system anticipating a certain degree of resistance in the loop for the LED, and if there is more than anticipated, it interprets that as a bulb out.

Reactions: KenC