Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faded Tiles on Front of Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I checked and didn't see anything), but our Solar Roof install included a small section of tiles on our front porch entryway (so highly visible from the street) and it appears that there has been some kind of fading on those tiles. I have opened up a ticket with Tesla but given their support track record, i'm not expecting a quick or effective response. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I am not seeing it because I have nothing to compare it to in your pictures. I agree they are not as dark as I would expect from a fresh install.

Is the metal trim faded too? It looks to be about the same shade as the solar glass. And is it faded in one exposure and not another?

BTW I would actually like mine to gray a bit as I have an area I left as asphalt shingles and the Tesla Solar Roof is a bit to black IMHO.

IMG_1679.JPG

Here is a picture of an brand new uninstalled tile that does not look too different than your pictures IMHO.

20201217_151725.jpg

@aesculus

I "think", that the white parts in the OPs picture that look like light hitting the tiles, is actually the fading they are talking about. OP would have to confirm, but even though it looks like light through trees, one of the pics looks like that is actually not "light through trees" but chalkiness etc on the tile.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Does not look right. Even sunlight hit on the tiles normally do not look like this.
Almost looks like they were spot painted black and that is fading. Are these the newer metal versions of the tiles, or are they made of glass?
I assume they are not active.
I would make sure it is not something (pollen or debris) that is easily able to be removed.
Otherwise, would call Tesla to come out and take a look.

@aesculus

I "think", that the white parts in the OPs picture that look like light hitting the tiles, is actually the fading they are talking about. OP would have to confirm, but even though it looks like light through trees, one of the pics looks like that is actually not "light through trees" but chalkiness etc on the tile.
OK. My brain immediately thought that was just light reflections. Now I see the issue. But still looks like light to me. ;)

From the pictures it does appear it affects both the glass tiles and the metal panels so I agree with others that it is something external staining the roof, like oxidized paint or some coating that has been deposited and degrading ...

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I checked and didn't see anything), but our Solar Roof install included a small section of tiles on our front porch entryway (so highly visible from the street) and it appears that there has been some kind of fading on those tiles. I have opened up a ticket with Tesla but given their support track record, i'm not expecting a quick or effective response. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened here?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

View attachment 794625

View attachment 794626

View attachment 794627

It looks like spray paint to me, not sure what is actually going on here.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I guess it could be something from the planter boxes and/or fading paint above but I have not witnessed anything loose or coming down from that area. I appreciate the thought about the valley and the tiles both experiencing the same discoloration, so yes perhaps it's from an external source vs a manufacturing defect.

I am waiting for a response from Tesla on how they want to approach and will keep everyone posted. Thanks again, I really appreciate the collective wisdom of this community.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. I guess it could be something from the planter boxes and/or fading paint above but I have not witnessed anything loose or coming down from that area. I appreciate the thought about the valley and the tiles both experiencing the same discoloration, so yes perhaps it's from an external source vs a manufacturing defect.

I am waiting for a response from Tesla on how they want to approach and will keep everyone posted. Thanks again, I really appreciate the collective wisdom of this community.

At least if Tesla ends up telling you that "its not the tiles, its coming from XXX" you will have seen that opinion someplace other than the people who might be trying to avoid paying for something (lol).

I would also love to see a picture of the front facia of your home, simply because the little we see there is amazingly detailed. It looks like a heritage home or something.

Planter boxes? Do you have any plants in there that might be leeching out something through the bottom, like lime or some fertilizer?

Reactions: jboy210
Planter boxes? Do you have any plants in there that might be leeching out something through the bottom, like lime or some fertilizer?
No, the planter boxes are empty so that wouldn't be it.

And yes, I'm starting to think spray paint might be the issue. I'm unaware of them using it but it makes sense to me and I know our project was far more complex and time/resource consuming than Tesla originally planned so our team was pretty anxious to finish and move on by the end. (I honestly think our project was a factor in Tesla adding roof complexity variable to their pricing when they jacked up their prices just a few weeks after completion of our project).

I did speak with a Tesla service agent yesterday who told me she would get back "with a quote" for repairing the damaged tiles. I told her that was unacceptable as the install is just over a year old and there is no way this kind of visible degradation should be happening and the default should be a warranty claim here. Will see how this shakes out.

No, the planter boxes are empty so that wouldn't be it.

And yes, I'm starting to think spray paint might be the issue. I'm unaware of them using it but it makes sense to me and I know our project was far more complex and time/resource consuming than Tesla originally planned so our team was pretty anxious to finish and move on by the end. (I honestly think our project was a factor in Tesla adding roof complexity variable to their pricing when they jacked up their prices just a few weeks after completion of our project).

I did speak with a Tesla service agent yesterday who told me she would get back "with a quote" for repairing the damaged tiles. I told her that was unacceptable as the install is just over a year old and there is no way this kind of visible degradation should be happening and the default should be a warranty claim here. Will see how this shakes out.
Keep us apprised on how it goes. I had some tiles that appear to be not all the way down. Tesla came out and replaced them and also patched a small opening in flashing that the gutter cover installers noticed. This was done at no charge

Does not look right. Even sunlight hit on the tiles normally do not look like this.
Almost looks like they were spot painted black and that is fading. Are these the newer metal versions of the tiles, or are they made of glass?
I assume they are not active.
I would make sure it is not something (pollen or debris) that is easily able to be removed.
Otherwise, would call Tesla to come out and take a look.
They are made of black glass. The color is through and through. They broke several tiles on our installation and inspected the shard pretty closely.