Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Car Charge = Upgraded HPWC v3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's been a while since I've been on the thread (life and all). But I am still happy to say that we are still Tesla Fans. We have had our cars going on 4 Years and have not had any major issues until now. My 2016 Model S started to only charge at 24 Amps instead of the normal 48 Amps. At first I thought that the V1 HPWC was failing (I was hoping :oops:) but that was not the case. I was able to rule that out right away since the V1 HPWC worked perfectly on my wife's Model X. So I began my dreaded online journey to find out what the issue was. All of the online forums I read stated that the car charger needs to be replaced. I finally made an appointment with the service center and they were able to confirm my suspicions. The grand total was $2510 to replace :(. How could this be with a car with only 74K miles. I was not happy but given the fact that I had the car close to 4 Years with little to no issues I was not going to complain (especially in comparison to Audi & BMW maintenance). The good news is that I could now upgrade to the 72 Amp charger since it was the same cost as the 48 Amp charger installation. Finally a silver lining; so I thought.

The installation took 2 days and I was back on the road. Tesla thoroughly tested the charging capabilities of the 72 Amp charger and I saw that I was getting 45 mph vs 30 mph charging (at the service center). I get the car home and plugged in my V1 HPWC and it faults right away. I reset it and try again; same thing. I tried it with my wife's Model X; no issues. I see that the car is still set to 72 Amps I reduce it to 48 Amps and everything is working again; or is it. Long story short the V1 HPWC would only work with the 72 Amp charger installed in the car if I manually set it to 48 Amps in the vehicle, plug in the cable and start charging manually. If I schedule the charge to occur at a specific time or initiate a car heat-up from the app the car resets to 72 Amps and faults the V1 HPWC. None of these issues occur with the V2 HPWC my wife uses to charge her Model X. So now I have a new car charger and a useless HPWC. And yes, I know my wife and I can just switch the sides that we park on and we would be golden. But I like my side of the garage :D. Anyway I reached out to Tesla's Home Charging support team and they confirmed that the 72 Amp charger is not compatible with the V1 HPWC. The troubleshooting process was all performed by reviewing the logs remotely (another reason to love electric cars). Within 24 hours they informed me that they would be sending me a new V3 HPWC (V2 HPWC are no longer in stock) and I should receive it within the week (great customer service never gets old).

I appreciate the time that the Home Charging support team took to make certain that I was fine with the fact that the V3 HPWC Maxes out at 48 Amps (Which is fine since that is all I need). Many dealerships would have seen this as an opportunity to make more money but Tesla saw this as a chance to make certain that after spending money I would not have a degraded experience. They understand the correlation between customer support and customer loyalty.

Reactions: jmaddr and gbailey
So it's been a while since I've been on the thread (life and all). But I am still happy to say that we are still Tesla Fans. We have had our cars going on 4 Years and have not had any major issues until now. My 2016 Model S started to only charge at 24 Amps instead of the normal 48 Amps. At first I thought that the V1 HPWC was failing (I was hoping :oops:) but that was not the case. I was able to rule that out right away since the V1 HPWC worked perfectly on my wife's Model X. So I began my dreaded online journey to find out what the issue was. All of the online forums I read stated that the car charger needs to be replaced. I finally made an appointment with the service center and they were able to confirm my suspicions. The grand total was $2510 to replace :(. How could this be with a car with only 74K miles. I was not happy but given the fact that I had the car close to 4 Years with little to no issues I was not going to complain (especially in comparison to Audi & BMW maintenance). The good news is that I could now upgrade to the 72 Amp charger since it was the same cost as the 48 Amp charger installation. Finally a silver lining; so I thought.

The installation took 2 days and I was back on the road. Tesla thoroughly tested the charging capabilities of the 72 Amp charger and I saw that I was getting 45 mph vs 30 mph charging (at the service center). I get the car home and plugged in my V1 HPWC and it faults right away. I reset it and try again; same thing. I tried it with my wife's Model X; no issues. I see that the car is still set to 72 Amps I reduce it to 48 Amps and everything is working again; or is it. Long story short the V1 HPWC would only work with the 72 Amp charger installed in the car if I manually set it to 48 Amps in the vehicle, plug in the cable and start charging manually. If I schedule the charge to occur at a specific time or initiate a car heat-up from the app the car resets to 72 Amps and faults the V1 HPWC. None of these issues occur with the V2 HPWC my wife uses to charge her Model X. So now I have a new car charger and a useless HPWC. And yes, I know my wife and I can just switch the sides that we park on and we would be golden. But I like my side of the garage :D. Anyway I reached out to Tesla's Home Charging support team and they confirmed that the 72 Amp charger is not compatible with the V1 HPWC. The troubleshooting process was all performed by reviewing the logs remotely (another reason to love electric cars). Within 24 hours they informed me that they would be sending me a new V3 HPWC (V2 HPWC are no longer in stock) and I should receive it within the week (great customer service never gets old).

I appreciate the time that the Home Charging support team took to make certain that I was fine with the fact that the V3 HPWC Maxes out at 48 Amps (Which is fine since that is all I need). Many dealerships would have seen this as an opportunity to make more money but Tesla saw this as a chance to make certain that after spending money I would not have a degraded experience. They understand the correlation between customer support and customer loyalty.

I am in NY also, would you mind telling me which service center you use?
Thanks