Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Model 3 HV Battery - Out of Warranty - DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!
Help me please. What is this cable on your photo? Are it’s available to disconnect it from other side from charger?

Attachments

• A4BC6AA4-FB95-497B-87B5-E1E07C6D851D.jpeg
    A4BC6AA4-FB95-497B-87B5-E1E07C6D851D.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 215
Any update on how this vehicle is doing?
So far it's doing great. I plan to provide a more in-depth update after a longer period (probably after a year) but essentially:

Driven 7,500+ miles, multiple road trips (probably 10-15 supercharging stops total), reaches 250kW and tapers like normal, rated range fluctuates around 303 miles.

CAC imbalance is usually between 3-4Ah, brick voltage imbalance is usually 4-10mV.

No issues whatsoever. Haven't driven it through a lake but have driven through many deep puddles without issue so I'm very confident in the sealant job we did.

Last edited:
@AlphaTango11,

Did you have to program the new pack to the car in any way? Did you need to use toolbox, or even enter the service mode?

Thanks!
The only thing needed was a software update (or reinstall) to match the BMS and PCS firmware with the rest of the car.

I am not sure what would be necessary in alternative scenarios like using the original high voltage controller or PCS, but I think it would mostly be the same, a firmware reinstall at most.

So far it's doing great. I plan to provide a more in-depth update after a longer period (probably after a year) but essentially:

Driven 7,500+ miles, multiple road trips (probably 10-15 supercharging stops total), reaches 250kW and tapers like normal, rated range fluctuates around 303 miles.

CAC imbalance is usually between 3-4Ah, brick voltage imbalance is usually 4-10mV.

No issues whatsoever. Haven't driven it through a lake but have driven through many deep puddles without issue so I'm very confident in the sealant job we did.
Your previous post showing the SoC screenshots in the car also shows the car name and a Supercharging session date/time. Are you concerned if Tesla see this thread and use that information to identify the car they might disable Supercharging?

Your previous post showing the SoC screenshots in the car also shows the car name and a Supercharging session date/time. Are you concerned if Tesla see this thread and use that information to identify the car they might disable Supercharging?

Not particularly. The car was never a salvage title and honestly I'd say it's just as safe to work on as any other Model 3.

Regardless, they could easily (and maybe do) track this battery replacement as having been done outside of a service center, but disabling cars for such a repair would be bad PR and legally unwise for them.

Tesla's practice of disabling Supercharging on salvage vehicles is extremely stupid anyway, especially since the cars have fantastic battery health/integrity checks and the network is being opened up to third party vehicles that could be in any sort of physical condition. I really hope they get challenged in court one day and at least CCS could be enabled on S/X (I think it works on 3/Y?).

Reactions: Phlier and NewbieT
This thread is so crazy! It makes me really consider a post warranty scenario. For now my diesel truck is so cheap and easy to fix. This is a whole new world ...

The same question remains, new Y or used X and will I be back on here fixing batteries.

Thanks everyone. As a quick update, the car is still doing great nearly 2 years and 25k+ miles later. CAC imbalance is around 3 Ah, Max CAC is 204 Ah, internal and external isolation is still great (≥4500 kOhm).

No issues with the car whatsoever, aside from a deer I hit in June (and the car handled it very well, with only minor hood, fender, and fascia damage).

Attachments

• OhDeerEdit-1.png
    OhDeerEdit-1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230606_192538.jpg
    20230606_192538.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 31