TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Failed Rear Lower Control Arm / Service Bulletin SB-19-31-001

Discussion in 'Model S' started by airsailor, Aug 31, 2020.

1. David.85D

David.85D Active Member

I talked to one of the techs about this about a year ago. He said the upper A arm and fore (lower) link don't require removing the battery and the aft (lower) link does require removing the battery. I asked them to replace those as owner pays, and they said they would, but returned the car without doing it and didn't charge me. They did find play in the sway bar links and replaced those under warranty. Strange days...

And FWIW, the wheel liner is pretty easy to remove - much easier than on my MINI Cooper S.

2. airsailor

airsailor Member

I was surprised to finally hear something back from NHTSA yesterday in response to the complaint I filed on August 29. They requested service records and the "Manufacturer's Complaint Number." I sent them the +/- $4000 invoice and the two letters I sent to Tesla in Palo Alto, which haven't been responded to, along with two more photos of the failed arm. I told them I have the failed arm available for inspection if they happen to want it. I might actually point them to this forum so that they can see that others have had the same issue, and that in some cases the arms are being replaced by Tesla as good will or warranty.

So now, in the first six months of owning this car, and the first 10,000 miles of driving, I've dealt with replacing the failed chip that bricked the MCU, this failed control arm, the 12V battery, the TPMS sensors which had failing batteries, and the back-up camera, which had corroded seriously, due, I think, to galvanic corrosion. I'm hoping I can have a few months in which nothing else wears out or fails -- knock wood. Driving a used 2013 MS with no warranty seems to be uncharted territory -- a bit of a crap shoot. But the car is such a pleasure to drive that I still have no regrets at all. I just really wish Tesla stood behind the vehicles as they should.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. dark cloud

dark cloud Active Member

Thanks for contributing to the efforts for Tesla to be a little more proactive on their suspension issues. I love driving this car, but everytime I get in it I think to myself: "is this the day the links break?" Not very confidence inspiring.

TPMS sensors batteries are good for about 7 years, so those were bang on for the expected life.

• Like x 1
  4. Yurand

Yurand Member

You have an amazing attitude considering all the crap you've had to deal with. I hope you have better luck from now on.

• Like x 2
  5. aerodyne

aerodyne Active Member

Well since there is no VP of Tesla sales and service anymore, I guess you could tweet Elon.

Come to think of it, if enough Tesla customers do that, he might actually decide to delegate that job to someone else.

I have heard he is in a good mood after success like a SpaceX launch, or good stock news like the S&P 500 inclusion, so now would be a good time I think.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1