Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Rear Lower Control Arm / Service Bulletin SB-19-31-001

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to learn more about this, as my car is a Aug 2013 build

In this rear suspension photo, the arrow points to the place of failure. Correct?

Does anyone know where the part number is located on this part? I am curious if a previous owner already fixed this on my car.

Attachments

• 2020-09-03 16_06_28-Window.jpg
    2020-09-03 16_06_28-Window.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 268
The part numbers are on stickers. You can rub the numbers off while cleaning, so take pictures first. Hope your stickers are present and readable!

I’m not sure about your cartoon. It’s a weird perspective for me. It looks more like this part (circled)

BB1BA3E5-05BE-4614-A1EC-9016C800243F.jpeg

Last edited:
@demundus
You made your own control arms? Can you reply with a drawing or how you made the part?
How much did it cost?

Theres a drawing floating around on the forum that I modified to fit my needs and then went to a water jetting place locally and explained the tolerances and we got a pair jetted up. I don't know where MY drawings have gone, its been a few years and two computers later. The other ones are under lolachamp's post on the forums. I used that as a starting point. Understandably, he wants nothing to do with syndicating the drawings due to liability. So search, use, modify, cut, at your own risk.

Please, tell me this isn't true or that the OP has embellished the story?

Sadly, my suspicion is that it's 100% accurate.

@TSLA Pilot: Yes, you're correct -- this is accurate and not embellished in any way. I really, really wish it weren't true.

@No CO2: Yes, your black arrow points to the large boss that cracked and failed. My car is an August 2013 build just like yours. I am guessing that Tesla Service would be able to tell you if your lower control arms have already been replaced with the updated part. For reference, the new control arm assembly costs $350 and installation at Tesla is $205, so having them replace both sides will run $1110. My total bill for replacing both sides plus damaged air spring and half shaft and other bits is now $4500, so I would recommend replacing both control arms before one fails, as it only gets more painful after the fact. And, of course, there's the small matter of safety....

@airsailor , can you make out the part number in the original lower arms? In the SB the new partnumber is listed as 1027459-99-A, I wonder if the original weak one is without the -A suffix?

Just checked the part numbers on my 2013 P85+ and they both are 1027459-99-A, so perhaps they are already replaced and I'm safe? :)

@Zuikkis, the car is still at Tesla and won't be ready till middle of this week. I've instructed them to save all the parts they R&R so once I have the failed control arm in hand I will let you know what that part number is if I can make it out. Your part number matches the upgraded replacement part number, so if it were my car, I would assume the arms have been replaced already. Couldn't Tesla review the service records for you car and let you know date of their replacement? And, why is it that we don't all have access to the complete Tesla service records for our car? Wouldn't it make sense for that to be part of the app or otherwise shared with current owners? Kind of like the difficulty accessing electronic medical records!

BTW, Tesla service is now telling me that during the repair they found a coolant hose that was chafing and that must be replaced, once they get the replacement hose in stock. My used MS is getting more expensive by the day. I have a cousin who is a used car dealer and he says: "If you can't afford a new Jaguar, you definitely can't afford a *used* Jaguar!" I am coming to the conclusion that this applies to Teslas equally!

@airsailor , can you make out the part number in the original lower arms? In the SB the new partnumber is listed as 1027459-99-A, I wonder if the original weak one is without the -A suffix?

Just checked the part numbers on my 2013 P85+ and they both are 1027459-99-A, so perhaps they are already replaced and I'm safe? :)
The A suffix is the first version of a part. The base (numeric) part number would need to be different.

The SB calls out part number 1027459-99-A as the updated part to replace the original control arms with. That appears to be what's already in @Zuikkis car.

The Service Manager told me that they have a later TSB about this issue that doesn't include the USA or Canada and lists only a few European countries, and he said as a result SB 19-31-001 doesn't apply. I asked him if the later SB specifically supercedes SB 19-31-001 and I didn't get a clear answer, so I have a hard time believing that's the case. He said he "opened a case" with his higher-ups and is waiting to hear if they will show me some consideration. In my phone conversation he agreed that this is a safety issue and that I am right to expect the suspension not to spontaneously fail, but he lead me to believe that he is powerless to make a decision about making this, or some part of this repair, a goodwill fix. I still think this should probably be a recall item. Wait and see mode continues.

Reactions: hpartsch and croman
So here's Tesla's resolution: I pay for the failed control arm and all the parts damaged in the collapse of the suspension: $3,921. They will replace the other side control arm as a goodwill gesture, which would cost $555. They are also replacing a coolant hose that they discovered has been chafing, gratis. Finally, they are discounting my bill by 10% to $3,529. So not a huge goodwill gesture, but not nothing. Of course I am still out-of-pocket a non-trivial amount for a suspension failure that I think should never have occurred.

So here's Tesla's resolution: I pay for the failed control arm and all the parts damaged in the collapse of the suspension: $3,921. They will replace the other side control arm as a goodwill gesture, which would cost $555. They are also replacing a coolant hose that they discovered has been chafing, gratis. Finally, they are discounting my bill by 10% to $3,529. So not a huge goodwill gesture, but not nothing. Of course I am still out-of-pocket a non-trivial amount for a suspension failure that I think should never have occurred.

Sorry if I missed this; just quickly scanned this thread again, but when you say you bought it from a used dealership and not privately did you bring it to their attention? Don’t dealerships typically offer at least a 30 day warranty? Hit them up for some of the repair bill or smear your experience all over social media threat?

I filed a report with NHTSA on August 29th, before any of this discussion with Tesla Service occurred: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment I haven't had any contact from NHTSA yet and don't really expect to.

The failure occurred just outside the 30 day power train warranty from the NJ used car dealer. I'm going to let them know about it, but I honestly don't think it's their fault in any way. They did share the cost of replacing the eMMC which restored my MCU.

The letter I FedEx'd to Service Disputes in Palo Alto was just delivered yesterday. I don't know if I will get a response or if they will decide that the matter is settled, once they have my payment. I'm running out of steam and will probably just chalk this up to bad luck and poor customer service, although I persist in thinking this should be a recall -- I can't fathom how Tesla can know these parts are subject to failure and just leave them in customers' cars....

Just found this thread after the service centre replaced my rear control arms while I had the car in for some other work. I agree this is rather scary and should have been a recall. For me at least, they did it as warranty work.

My car is a 2013 S85, delivered in October 2013, P23170. I do have the ESA on this car too.

upload_2020-9-24_13-42-12.png

Once upon a time many years ago, I had an issue with a german car company. Short version: a common failure of a particular gasket in the engine. The rubber composition wasnt compatible with the german car companys OEM coolant. Car was out of warranty (I purchased the car brand new) and dealer charged me 1500 or so total to have them fix. (That was a fair amount of money to me back then). I tried working with the dealership (asked kindly in a letter for goodwill service since I had my own records of every two year coolant changes using the OEM brand coolant) but they declined.

I felt it was very unfair especially since it was widespread and there was a TSB out on it. So in my case, I filed a case in small claims court against the car company. Had their state agent/representative served the court papers. Within less than a week, I received a call from the law firm hired to represent them for my state (Maryland at the time). The lawyers first question: "what do we need to do to make this go away?". My reply "send me a check for the full amount of the repair". We agreed to that.

To which I would have added, " . . . and add another $3k to that for my aggravation, time, and trouble, and for having to serve you with these legal papers, especially since I have all records showing that I maintained my car to factory specifications."

Gotta ask, what brand was it?

I'll guess it was Porsche or BMW?

Just found this thread after the service centre replaced my rear control arms while I had the car in for some other work. I agree this is rather scary and should have been a recall. For me at least, they did it as warranty work.

My car is a 2013 S85, delivered in October 2013, P23170. I do have the ESA on this car too.

View attachment 591888
Mine car is a 2013 S85, manufactured in 6/2013....

April 2019: I inquired about this concern and received the following on my invoice:
Client requests rear lower control arms be inspected for cracking as described in SB-19-31-001 (attached). Please note this vehicle has not been identified as an affected VIN. Technician inspected both rear lower control arms and verified no replacement necessary Correction: Raise Vehicle - 2 Post Lift

I'm wondering if I need to look into this again...? I bought a Tesla jack pad -- so I'll try to find out what part number I have shortly after it arrives...

View attachment 591888

Please file a complaint and upload your Service Invoice to the complaint (if you didn't already).
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

@DGates, Thanks for posting this -- really good to see that someone had these parts repaired under warranty. Would you be kind enough to let me know which Service Center did the work for you and when that occurred?

I picked up my repaired car on Sept 12 but the Service Center said they were revising my bill to reflect a 10% goodwill discount as well as free replacement of the left side lower rear control arm -- the side that hadn't failed. I am now expecting a bill of approximately $3600. They told me to take the car and they would be in touch when the bill was ready, and that hasn't happened yet. I am wondering if the letter I sent out to "Repair Disputes" in Palo Alto has them reconsidering, but that is likely just wishful thinking.

upload_2020-9-24_13-42-12-png.591888

Two shots of the failed control arm removed from the car by the SC. Interestingly, no one at the SC made any noise about this being impact-related damage -- it's clear to them that this thing just cracked like the Service Bulletin says it might. The crack farthest away from the arm is oxidized, suggesting that it occurred some time ago and the part held together until the other two cracks nearest the arm occurred and the part failed completely. I am struck by how lightweight the material is -- the two broken parts of the circular boss weigh almost nothing. My non-engineer impression is that the material simply doesn't seem strong enough to deal with the huge amount of load it has to carry. In this particular case it wasn't. One last note: these original arms are PN: 1021416-00A and the SC replaced them with PN: 1027459-99-A, which I am hoping is the latest revision.

c.jpg
d.jpg