Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Rear Lower Control Arm / Service Bulletin SB-19-31-001

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They did of course not offer to cover any of this, and I will keep the invoice, but I doubt that they will ever cover this repair.
Well, they will eventually as this very much appears to be a safety related defect and the EU NHTSA equivalent should take action.

Please report this failure as it won't be addressed until there's a recall. You could save a few lives so please do this!

Reactions: rickyjb
So, this just happened to my car. Scary as I felt a small shimmy on the freeway the night before, then the next morning my backend kicked over a foot when going over some railroad tracks. I got to my destination, and it completely failed when I was slowly backing up (seems this is the same for many). So glad this did not happen at freeway speeds!

My P85 was delivered in Feb 2013 and has a VIN in the low 4000s.

My service center said:
1. SB does not address my VIN (says vehicles approximately June 2013 to Feb 2014)
2. Right side link is also corroded and needs to be replaced.
3. Don't see any signs of stress or damage to left side.
4. I've never seen a rear control arm crack before

I replied that it was clearly the same issue, the SB said both need to be replaced, the problem is corrosion - not outright damage, and this is all over the forums and the NHTSA site. I got no reply for 24 hours until my third follow-up. I finally got a quote to fix the one side for about $2k (he said he emailed it the day before, but did not), and I approved it in order to get my car back. I'll have to decide if I want to proactively replace the other side later.

I will submit a NHTSA complaint after repairs are complete.

Overall, like others, I am frustrated that Tesla does not take more ownership of these obvious defects.

Attachments

• TeslaRearControlArm.jpg
    TeslaRearControlArm.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 325
So, this just happened to my car. Scary as I felt a small shimmy on the freeway the night before, then the next morning my backend kicked over a foot when going over some railroad tracks. I got to my destination, and it completely failed when I was slowly backing up (seems this is the same for many). So glad this did not happen at freeway speeds!

My service center said:
1. SB does not address my VIN (says vehicles approximately June 2013 to Feb 2014)

I replied that it was clearly the same issue, the SB said both need to be replaced, the problem is corrosion - not outright damage, and this is all over the forums and the NHTSA site. I got no reply for 24 hours until my third follow-up. I finally got a quote to fix the one side for about $2k (he said he emailed it the day before, but did not), and I approved it in order to get my car back. I'll have to decide if I want to proactively replace the other side later.

Overall, like others, I am frustrated that Tesla does not take more ownership of these obvious defects.
This is unacceptable. A engineering student could see at once the parting plane for this forging is going the wrong direction, and the adverse short transverse grain direction is very susceptible to stress corrosion cracking.

Oh, and no protective finish at all on the suspension parts. And a absurdly small lug to hole diameter ratio. 0.875 is off the charts, and this is smaller than that!

Pull a copy of the SB off the NHTSB site. I believe your serial number is covered. Only the cars with redesigned links should be exempt.

Find another SvC and confront them with the facts.

My service center said:

Did they list all the parts and labor in your quote? I’d be interested to see the breakdown

Reactions: rickyjb
Annoying that after accepting a quote in the Tesla system, you can no longer view it.

I got another email saying they ordered these parts. There could be other parts that they had in stock, but these do look like the main ones.

1. BOLT HF M12x1.75x100 [10.9]-U-G720
    Part #: 2007075
  2. RR SUSP INTEGRAL LINK ASSY - S3, S2
    Part #: 6006895-00-A
  3. BOLT HF M12x1.75x70 [10.9]-U-G720
    Part #: 2007078
  4. RR SUSP STABAR LINK ASY
    Part #: 6007100-00-A
I can verify when I get the final invoice.

It's really extraordinary that this part is failing in exactly the same way on multiple vehicles. Also amazing that some service centers are replacing the control arms gratis and others are not. But what is most amazing to me is that the letters I sent via FedEx to Tesla in Palo Alto, on Sept 2, 2020 and on Oct 20, 2020, have not been responded to whatsoever. I own 100 shares of TSLA and have high hopes for the company, but I'm dumbstruck at this utter failure in terms of customer relations. Totally unacceptable.

BTW, apparently the only way to actually register a complaint about the vehicles or service is by snail mail to:

Tesla Motors, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California 94304
Attention: Vehicle Service

Amusing that everything else in the Tesla universe happens via the app, or by text or email -- when you want to register a complaint only snail mail will do!

This TSB was issued after all the affected cars were out of warranty. The TSB applies to my car based on VIN and date range, which was confirmed by the manager of the Paramus service center. If you look through this thread, you'll see that a number of service centers are replacing the control arms at no charge, while others are charging full freight.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I got another email saying they ordered these parts. There could be other parts that they had in stock, but these do look like the main ones.

1. BOLT HF M12x1.75x100 [10.9]-U-G720
    Part #: 2007075
  2. RR SUSP INTEGRAL LINK ASSY - S3, S2
    Part #: 6006895-00-A
  3. BOLT HF M12x1.75x70 [10.9]-U-G720
    Part #: 2007078
  4. RR SUSP STABAR LINK ASY
    Part #: 6007100-00-A
I can verify when I get the final invoice.
This list does not correspond to the items that others have mentioned when they made their repairs. I believe these are the levelling links on air suspension as all the parts previously mentioned by others have different part no.

I’ve had to have the control arms replaced 4 times. $1000 each time. Tesla says these are normal wear items and need to be replaced every 50k miles. I call bullshit but whoami. This should really be a recall.

Fancy German cars typically have over-complex suspensions with soft bushings to minimize NVH. They sometimes only last 50k miles and often the only way to replace the bushing is to replace the metal part as well as the bushing. In Germany, someone puts the car on a lift and uses a microscope to inspect everything for wear annually. In the US, even with "inspections" the wear is identified by tremendous clunking sounds or broken ball joints that haven't had boots for 3 years. My wife's 2013 Q5 has had some front bushings / a-arms replaced at 70k miles because of clunking.

It's my understanding that the earlier S platform has an almost entirely Mercedes Benz derived suspension.

I've had my car (pre-facelift 90D) in for service where I said "do the annual inspection and do whatever's necessary" and they didn't suggest replacing anything. I'd much prefer paying $1000 every 4-6 years or 50k miles to having a wheel whomp around or worse.

That said, "the metal part breaks and the wheel falls off" is not a good failure mode.

Are newer parts prone to these same failures?

Last edited:
Suspension parts seem to not be Tesla's strong suit. This was the rear upper (camber) control link from my 2015 P85D. "Standard wear and tear" was the claim.

1642259275741.jpeg

Pretty cheap extrusion to me. At least it was only $100 for a used part and 20 minutes for the repair, which I did myself *in the Tesla Service Center parking lot.*
1642259696564.jpeg

As for the OP's lower link, it's clear the engineers didn't expect it to take any tensile loads. There's no way that tiny ring around that huge bore takes any pull force. At least it looks like the rear link is under compression for forward driving, hence why I'm guessing these all happen while in reverse.