Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAILED removal of lowering link. HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was attempting to remove my lowering link in preparation to bring it to a service center and the ball joint snapped on me.

I was supporting the ball joint with plyers and pulled with my hand and heard a snap.

Not sure what to do now.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200504_182644.jpg
    20200504_182644.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 413
Since its plastic, its possible you could drill it out, and put a new ball end there with a through bolt. It will be a challenge to get the right size ball end I'll bet. Glue...maybe for a day or 2 long enough to get you to the SC.

Honestly, its broke... replace it

Since its plastic, its possible you could drill it out, and put a new ball end there with a through bolt. It will be a challenge to get the right size ball end I'll bet. Glue...maybe for a day or 2 long enough to get you to the SC.

Honestly, its broke... replace it
I'm pretty new to the Tesla universe. Is this a part I can just get and replace? I def thought about drilling threw and getting a ball joint replacement

The ball joint and the arm are not available as separate parts. You will need to order a new ride height sensor.

Also, when removing and installing the lowering links, if you have Blox (or similar) you MUST remove the locking pin prior to installing or removing! This is not a tension spring, it is a locking pin. You will break more ball joints if you do not do this.

blox-racing-blo-bxss-60100-13441270448198_4000x.progressive.jpg

blox-racing-blo-bxss-60100-13441270448198_4000x.progressive (1).jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: shthpnz and All In
what kind of link were you removing that snapped it?
Blox. I had the locking pin removed.

I think the lesson learned when removing links in general is that a pair of needle nose plyers should be used at the base of the ball joint when removing. This would have applied support to the ball joint and the pressure of pulling the link off the ball joint would have gone against the plyers and not where the ball meets the sensor arm.

I have a 2017 and it looks like tesla changed the ball joint on the ride height sensor to a plastic one piece on 2017+.
1027941-00-A | Tesla OEM Parts | Products | HSR Motors

In Tesla's 2016 and before the ball joint was actually a metal ball screw where the ball attaches to the sensor arm. I'm guessing this is why I did not read more about this happening in other posts about ppl removing links and/or ppl not removing links that often.
Tesla Model S 2012-2016- AIR SUSPENSION RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR - FRONT- 6006514-00-B | eBay

I actually found a similar ball screw from summit racing. I'm going to attach that to the arm like it is in previous ride height sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSedan
Subscribed. How did you end up resolving this issue? I have a 2017 and was about to install my 3D printed one this morning but luckily I ran into this thread. With all the hassle you dealt with, would you suggestion the expensive Unplugged lowering brackets or just to install the lowering links carefully?

That tool definitely looks like it could help. The very first one you do I would recommend taking off the sensor and then removing the link where the link meets the strut. Then use your tool to remove the link from the sensor when it's off the car.

The sensor is only held on by a screw or two so it's a fast removal from the car.

Depending on how comfortable you feel after that your could change the links on or off the car using your tool if it worked well.

Where did you get that tool? Let me know how it works for you.

Going back to your first question... Would I go unplugged or link. If cost isn't a issue then unplugged seems less error prone. No fussing with adjustments but I also don't have them

I too wanted to remove my blox links prior to returning to the service center. Tried to remove one of my blox links this afternoon and ended up breaking the ball joint/sensor arm. I did remove the clips prior to trying to remove the blox link. Can I just run to the service center and pick up a new ride height sensor? Or does this part have to be ordered? Just trying to get it replaced asap.

I still have to remove the other link on the other side of my car. How did you guys do it? Thought about the heat gun but haven't tried it. I could see that working on the oem link since it's kind of rubberish. The blox ends links are metal from what I can tell. I guess it would expand just slightly to help remove the link from the sensor.

oh sad times for me. It was very easy to put on... maybe I need to spray a little lube in the ball socket prior to trying to remove. Not going to try the other until I see if the sensor is available at the SC tomorrow.

Silly question but you did remove the locking pin right? And yes.. I would try to spray some lube in there before doing the others. I use grease in mine before I installed them (and I remove/re-install every winter/summer tire changeover).