Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed repair of broken charge port cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla had a feature to disable the touch opening of the charge port.

A woman brushed up against the rear driver's side of my MY when I was retrieving some items from the trunk. The charge cover opened, startled her, and somehow ended up broken. A few threads here mentioned a $250 replacement, so I thought I'd endeavor a repair myself. I post here some notes and pictures of my failed attempt for posterity.

I planned to use JB Weld Plastic Bonder to reattach the cover to the arm. It was challenging to keep the port cover arm up and stable, but the arm retracted too far to make contact with the cover for gluing when closed. Plus, when closed, adjusting the cover kept triggering the cover arm to extend.

So I raised the arm, plugged in my charger, and clamped the cover arm to keep it from moving. I drilled a small hole in the cover and arm to try to keep them together for gluing, but I was unable line up the pieces and drill a clean pilot hole. I gave up on the screw, mixed the JB Weld epoxy and thought I had the pieces properly aligned, then pressed them together with a carefully arranged 2lb weight while the epoxy set. Alas, when closing, the cover is about 1/8" too high.

The JB Weld epoxy seems stronger than the original plastic, impeding an attempt to separate the pieces to try again.

Attachments

• MY 1 broken lid.jpg
    MY 1 broken lid.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 131
  • MY 2 charge port sans lid.jpg
    MY 2 charge port sans lid.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 72
  • MY 3 screw attempt.jpg
    MY 3 screw attempt.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 75
  • MY 4 glue attempt.jpg
    MY 4 glue attempt.jpg