Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed Software Update (2020.44)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the notification that 2020.44 was ready for installation this evening. So started updating.

But for the first time, the update actually failed.

Since I hadn't ever seen this happen before (complete with ugly red-lettered pop-up box on the center display), I kind of figured it would be like a phone update that failed - you just run the installation again. Except, no way to do that.

I may be naive to this problem, but will Tesla automatically re-push the update back to me in a timely manner? Or do I need to make a service appointment?

I should say that the IC is telling me that AutoPilot (both driver assist and safety features) are currently disabled. So I guess the failed installation has FUBAR'd AutoPilot :-(.

Looking to the wisdom of the crowds here as to whether I should just book an appointment or hope that Tesla re-pushes the update soon. While lack of Nav on AP isn't something I can't live without for a few days, I don't like the idea that the safety feature side of AP is also disabled.

Thanks

Well, it would be disappointing if the MCU needs to be replaced as I just got a new MCU2 earlier this year :-(.

They actually did try to push me the same update a second time. Which, unfortunately, failed a second time. So they then confirmed I do need to come in to the service center.

To your point about the MCU potentially having a problem, they did tell me they could not do mobile service as mobile service was limited to 2 hour maximum - and they said this would be "longer than 2 hours". So while they didn't tell me what they thought the problem was, I guess they have a good idea and it may very well be involving some kind of hardware replacement.