Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed software update bricked my 2020 X today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X is now bricked. Power reduced, can't drive, service required. Screen turns on for a minute and shows tons of warnings, power reduced, won’t drive, needs service. I scheduled the software update this morning, it failed and now this. Firmware issue I assume. I tried to power the 12V battery thinking it drained but it’s fine. I can open doors and lights work but nothing else, black screens. Accessible through app.

I contacted roadside service, no remote diagnostic available. So I had it towed to service center.

Anyone else having this issue with newest update? Beware!

Sounds like some components went bad at the wrong time. Good guess on the 12v as I had an issue with one during an OTA when the DC-to-DC is 'off' due to software subsystems updating.

Sorry for your trouble. Certainly, it is not a common problem as a significant number of vehicles have updated with it. I use TeslaFI as a prox with 17K vehicles (10K+ is statically important) ... 42+% have it.

WIlJMUy.jpg

My X is now bricked. Power reduced, can't drive, service required. Screen turns on for a minute and shows tons of warnings, power reduced, won’t drive, needs service. I scheduled the software update this morning, it failed and now this. Firmware issue I assume. I tried to power the 12V battery thinking it drained but it’s fine. I can open doors and lights work but nothing else, black screens. Accessible through app.

I contacted roadside service, no remote diagnostic available. So I had it towed to service center.

Anyone else having this issue with newest update? Beware!
I had a similar issue and turned out it was due to bad 12v battery! It took 2 tows to service center for them to figure that out as I never had any warning.

Had the same issue back in 09/21. Mobile tech came and repaired.

View attachment 774029
Same problem for me! I wonder why the SD cars failed during software update.

Verified customer concern. Found vehicle had internal failure in the das ecu. Perform 12v disconnect and isolation procedure. Remove glovebox. Remove and replace das ecu and send firmware to vehicle. Re install glove box and connect power back on. Test drive vehicle to verify alerts. No abnormality found advise customer das ecu still needs to be calibrated.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Disconnect 12V Power
Correction: Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive
Correction: Firmware Update - Garage
Correction: Module - Autopilot - ECU - 3rd Generation (Remove & Replace) Correction: Glove Box (Remove & Install)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty
Concern: During diagnosis found sd card issue.
Reformat sd card and send firmware> No problem found after repair.
Correction: SD Card - Media Control Unit (Reformat) Correction: Firmware Update

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Curious what happens when the car is out of warranty. Tesla used to (can’t find this verbiage anymore) claim that not installing software updates in a timely manner can be cause for denying service. Now a software update can require replacing an MCU? That’s not cheap if you’re out of warranty.