Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed tire Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having a spare tire has bothered me. I decided to order a slime tire repair kit and then I also ordered this beast. Motorman 11000 lb Hydraulic Jack. I got it last Friday. I left my vehicle with a friend so that he could wrap it for me over the weekend. He got a lot done but there is more to do. When I went to pick up my vehicle from his place, he had taken his father and daughter for a ride. While standing in his driveway, I hear a weird sound as he is pulling up. Sure enough the Right Rear tire had no air. Turns out the run flat worked so well, he didn't know it was flat. He new it was reporting low but had no idea there was no air in it.

We pulled out this jack I had just got 2 days before and it worked flawlessly. Using a the jack pad and this jack, the car lifted right up effortlessly. We plugged it. It was a shoulder puncture. The Nail or what ever didn't remain in the tire. Was just a big hole. I got the tire replaced but was so happy that :

a) The run flat tires worked so well.
b) The Jack and Jack pad performed well.
c) The Slime kit worked well enough to allow normal use with the occasional refill.

I learned that, the Model X Lug nuts are below fake lug nut caps. I couldn't get the tire off at the time because I didn't know this. We patched it while it was still attached to the car.

So basically, if you keep run flats, you don't need a spare. You really don't need the repair kit and jack unless you want full normal operation for a period of time. The run flat will get you safely somewhere near by without a fuss. I'm still happy I purchased the jack though. It did allow me 3 days of use till i could get the tire replace.

Reactions: Maxv
If you look around, you will see all sorts of advice to not use the slime repair stuff, except in case of emergency. This will gum up your tire pressure sensor, which will need to be replaced. If the tire is repairable (or would have been) and you use the slime,... uh oh, it is no longer repairable.

Slime is only useful as a short term emergency patch with an expensive outcome for the proper fix.

If you look around, you will see all sorts of advice to not use the slime repair stuff, except in case of emergency. This will gum up your tire pressure sensor, which will need to be replaced. If the tire is repairable (or would have been) and you use the slime,... uh oh, it is no longer repairable.

Slime is only useful as a short term emergency patch with an expensive outcome for the proper fix.

Its just a plug kit. It has a tool to clean the hole, Another to plug it with a piece of rubber. I'm assuming you are thinking of the liquid flat repair stuff. That's not what I'm using and there is no way this will mess with a tire sensor. I used this Slime repair kit

I think you're mistaken, the OEM tires are indeed Continental CrossContact LX Sport (this is the link to correct tires) but you linked to CrossContact LX Sport SSR. OEM tires are not run flat

You are correct sir. Thanks for the clarification. I'll update the primary message.

edit: Update. Apparently I can't update the original message.

Basically I got lucky he didn't damage the rim while driving on it. I have to say the side wall seemed fairly stiff for the last of air in the tire..

Last edited: