Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed to go into reverse.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I have experienced a seriously frightening bug!

I was in the process of parallel parking on a very busy 2-lane road. I pulled up parallel to the car which was directly in front of the open spot into which I intended to park. The first indication I had that something was wrong was that I could not activate the right side blinker. I tried a few times, thought that was odd, then proceeded to put the car into reverse in order to back into the spot. However, the car refused to go into reverse!! I tried several times without success. I put the car into park and then tried again to put it in reverse without success. Finally, while blocking traffic, I turned on the 4-way flashers, and did a two scroll reset. After what seemed like forever but was probably only 2 minutes or so the car re-booted. I was then able to put the car into reverse and to safely park. I could not, however, enter a bug report because the voice detection feature would not work nor did the car report any LTE service even though my phone showed 4 bars of service. After about 5 minutes, and without any further action from me, both systems were restored.

Anybody else ever experience anything like this. Particularly the inability to put the car into reverse gear!?

2018 MS 100D with about 17,000 miles.

Long ago in my previous Model S I had the CID and MCU screen freeze. It took me a few second to realize it. The speedo number was frozen even though I was speed up or slowing down. You don't hear the blinkers. My guess is that your gear shift probably did work, but the display didn't. And the blinker probably worked, but you didn't see it flashing on the CID nor hear it. Two-button reset solved the display and sound.

Long ago in my previous Model S I had the CID and MCU screen freeze. It took me a few second to realize it. The speedo number was frozen even though I was speed up or slowing down. You don't hear the blinkers. My guess is that your gear shift probably did work, but the display didn't. And the blinker probably worked, but you didn't see it flashing on the CID nor hear it. Two-button reset solved the display and sound.

Hmmm, maybe. I was pretty rattled since I was blocking traffic. I can't say for sure that I tried to step on the accelerator even though the display showed that I was still in Drive so what you hypothesize might be the answer. If it ever happens again, and I sincerely hope it does not, I will try to drive.

Maybe get your driver's seat occupant sensor looked at.

Also, is your key being detected reliably all the time? Maybe change the battery if it's been a while.

Either would prevent shifting into any gear.