Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Failed to Load" error when attempting to log into Tesla app on iPhone 13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others have had this problem, but I've tried all the "fixes", none of which work (re-boot, re-install the app, turn off VPN, ensure that the latest iOS version is installed, etc.).

I had the problem once before. The app failed to load for almost a month and then, all of a sudden, it started working again. Although the key card works, the app is much more convenient and provides access to features remotely.

There must be something going on with your phone setup. I have an iphone 13 and my wife has an iphone 10, and I have no issues whatsoever (and havent).

"Turn off vpn" sounds like you have a vpn running. Failing to load for almost a month would be something on your end. There have not been systematic reports of iOS tesla app not loading, so this is on your end.

Problem solved after an hour with Apple support.

VPN not only must be disengaged, but the setting that makes VPN available also needs to be turned off. Otherwise, the Tesla app fails to install the required "locations services" settings.

Here's how to fix the problem on iOS: Go to settings, VPN and turn "VPN Configurations" and "Personal VPN" to "Not Connected".

If you use VPN, the only downside is that you'll need to remember to load your VPN manually when not using the Tesla app.

Peter Butzin's suggestion about changing VPN setting worked great for me (running Proton VPN on an iPhone 13). After a vacation in Europe, the Tesla app wouldn't connect to my Model 3. I tried many things including repeatedly turning off Proton VPN, but it kept turning itself back on. So I deleted the Tesla app and re-downloaded it, then I got the "Failed to download ..." error. Following Peter's suggestion, I got to settings by clicking the Proton VPN icon once, then found settings in lower right corner of the screen. The "Always-on VPN" option was gray and wouldn't change (my first clue Peter had the answer.) After tapping "Netshield" parameter button, I put the setting to "Off." The Tesla app loaded. Then I went back and selected "Block malware, ads, & trackers" and everything works fine. Thanks, Peter.

Attachments

• IMG_4412-1.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4413-1.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 42