Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Failed to turn on climate" - Help [solved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Just got my M3P last week. Trying to activate climate control through the appt, and keeps coming up with the message " Failed to turn on climate "

Any ideas ? Have read a few things about it being a faulty sensor - anyone else had the same issues ?

R

Mehul

A couple of suggestions.

Is car in reliable wifi/lte location? We often park in a semi covered car park and car access via app is intermittent.

Are there any messages when you look at the HVAC controls screen in the car? A subtle message on the left hand side of the on screen dashboard?

A couple of suggestions.

Is car in reliable wifi/lte location? We often park in a semi covered car park and car access via app is intermittent.

Are there any messages when you look at the HVAC controls screen in the car? A subtle message on the left hand side of the on screen dashboard?
Hiya

The car is in a reliable area for wifi/LTE etc, and all the other functions of the app work.

R

Mehul

Hi All

Just got my M3P last week. Trying to activate climate control through the appt, and keeps coming up with the message " Failed to turn on climate "

Any ideas ? Have read a few things about it being a faulty sensor - anyone else had the same issues ?

R

Mehul
More likely to be a communication error between the app and the car. A sensor issue would be apparent when controlling climate when in the car not just via the app.

Hiya

The car is in a reliable area for wifi/LTE etc, and all the other functions of the app work.

R

Mehul
Has the app never worked for this function? Does it work if the car is well out of range of wifi and just on LTE? (the reason I say well away from wifi is to discount the possibility of an intermittent wifi reconnect when trying to test the LTE function.

Mine does this every now and again. I normally close the app fully (swipe up on ipnone) and re-open a minute or so later. That normally sorts it but on the rare occasion it doesn’t then opening the car door fixed it as a last resort (that obviously makes the remote pre-heating pointless though).

It tends to happen to me more if I’ve not been to the car for a few days.

A couple of suggestions.

Given the recent warm weather I've tried to pre cool my car several times over the last week or so and I'm having the same issue OP mentions. Sometimes I can get it to come on for a moment before tripping off then after that it always displays the failed to turn on climate message on the app. Unlike the OP however, I do occasionally notice the subtle climate keeper unavailable due to system fault message on the car display I think you're referring to. Any ideas how to rectify this please? The feature used to work when I first picked the car (2021 M3 LR delivered Dec 20). The car has already been in for the heat pump sensor recall, unless they've messed that up somehow... Thanks in advance!

I've been having this issue too recently. Never noticed it before (had my car over 18months) but in this hot weather I've had it happen over half a dozen times.

Each time the car has plenty of charge and reception seemed ok.

The app overall has seemed a bit slow recently now I think about it. I would be interested to know if anyone finds a fix.

Unlike the OP however, I do occasionally notice the subtle climate keeper unavailable due to system fault message on the car display I think you're referring to. Any ideas how to rectify this please? The feature used to work when I first picked the car (2021 M3 LR delivered Dec 20). The car has already been in for the heat pump sensor recall, unless they've messed that up somehow...

If it persists, I would raise a service request. We had it first drive after winter lockdown (causing the little known sauna mode), but just the once. I put it down to during part of that lock down the car was covered in snow and what was on the windscreen was just left to thaw naturally through the ventilation duct possibly causing the car to register high humidity or something. It was a pretty exceptional set of circumstances.

tbh, yours sounds more like the issue that the recall should have dealt with, so not sure why you still have it.