Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed to turn on climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to get the "failed to turn on climate" message from Tesla iPhone app only on rare occasions, but now I am getting it frequently. I don't know if it is firmware version related or something else. I am on 2020.4.1
Car is plugged in and wifi working fine. Everything else connects fine, unlocking, etc.

Anyone else ?

EDIT: If I go into car, climate turns on. If I leave the door open, it says on. When I close door, it turns off and app won't turn it one.

Last edited:
I just started seeing this for the first time last night in our Model S that was also last to receive the new update by a week or two compared to the other two. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but the behavior I experienced was:

Opened app to turn climate control on to heat car (it's like -9 right now in Colorado) and both other cars responded instantly but I was unable to get the car in question to even acknowledge the app. Had the wife try and same result. I finally went out to the garage to manually enable heat, turn heated seats/wheel/windshield/defroster on. When I got in the car everything seemed normal. No weird messages, no warnings... nothing. Set everything manually and when I went to enable leaving it on so I could get out and go back in the house there was a weird message I've never seen. Right to the right of "Off, on, dog, camp" options was a message in gray (didn't stand out against a black background like a warning normally might) that simply read:

"Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault"

Nothing else. No warnings. No further instruction. Nothing to even indicate any other aspect of the car was even aware of this "system fault" which sounds fairly ominous.

I attempted a reboot while on our way to dinner and even after it came fully back online the same behavior persisted. I rebooted again before we went inside to eat and at the end of our meal everything had returned to normal. No explanation and seemingly for no reason. I said to my "Because Tesla" which seems to be about the only explanation I've come up with to date.

This is the first time I've ever experienced this behavior.

20200205_175235.jpg

I'm in the same situation. I made a service appointment, they want a screen shot of the alert on the phone or perform a bug report on the vehicle so they can research the alerts. Without a timestamp, they are lost and can't do anything.

Now I need to reschedule my appointment.

I'm having the same issue as above, and just started noticing it this week(first week of Feb-2020) running in a 2018 Tesla Model S on firmware version 2019.40.50.7 with hardware v2.5. After noticing the error message I upgraded to firmware 2020.4.1 yesterday and the problem persists. I submitted a service ticket with Tesla this morning and the rep came back with the following info:

"We have looked into your concern and wanted to let you know this is a known characteristic of the current firmware and will be changed in a future firmware. What is happening the the current firmware doesn't allow remote access to climate controls if the refrigerant drops below a certain pressure. With the cold weather we are experiencing the refrigerant can drop below that pressure and not be an indication of a problem."

To which I responded:

"Ok, that’s logical. One last question. You mentioned the lack of refrigerant pressure is causing the issue. Is it possible I have a slow refrigerant leak, and the current refrigerant level is just low enough to where it causes the pressure to dip below threshold when the car is cold?"

Their follow-up response was that the refrigerant level in my vehicle was not below normal limits, based on the remote data they could gather about the car. I'm not sure if this is everyone's issue or if mine is unique, but thought it was worth sharing. It's also worth noting that I don't have a heated garage for my car and it seems unreasonable to expect that as a prerequisite environmental requirement in order to preheat the battery for winter driving, especially since the car will likely be parked outside in a non-climate-controlled area when I drive to work, store, or anywhere away from home. The rep went on to say that the issue "should" be fixed in firmware v2020.8

I started facing this issue since the last firmware update. Exactly the same message in the car as well. Unfortunately I am out of warranty on my 2017 MS..so I don't want to know how much it will cost to get this issue resolved. I hope it isn't a hardware issue and it is only a software issue.

I had the exact issue on our mid 2018 MX. Started in the fall of 2019, went away after a S/W update and then started being persistent at XMAS at the time of the 50.X updates. Made an SC apmt and used it also to get our HW3 upgrade and they reset the controls for the HVAC and so far it is ok after a couple of remote enables and depart at settings. Super irritating as we have a dog that travels with us fairly frequently and obviously we would never want to leave her in a boiling or freezing car which is a situation in CA that can occur quite easily.

Update on this, after two mobile service visits, they claimed that it needed a new HVAC Case and that needed to go to the service center which is over 3 hours away. I finally made that appointment and it turned out to be that same inlet that they couldn't fix on the two prior visits and they charged me $427 for that fix. At least it has been working since then.