Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed trying to replace console lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They came with a pry tool to take out the old lights but I had no luck trying to use it. Couldn't even get it edged in beside the light.

I quit before I broke something to come ask for advice on how to do this.

Anyone changed their dim console lights for brighter ones?

What is the trick to prying the old one out?

They came with a pry tool to take out the old lights but I had no luck trying to use it. Couldn't even get it edged in beside the light.

I quit before I broke something to come ask for advice on how to do this.

Anyone changed their dim console lights for brighter ones?

What is the trick to prying the old one out?
Will take a look when I get home, did you replace them with brighter LED lights?

Fred

IMG_20190225_225906.jpg
One is easy, the other is not. The one with the 12v plug you can use an automotive mirror and a flat head screwdriver bit and it should come right out. It's much easier when you can see what you're doing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Discovered this morning that my 3 has completely different lights. The light in my console are half the size of the replacements I bought that are supposed to fit the 3. My roof lights are little round light not rectanglular lights as shown in the video from the maker.
Don't know when, but at some recent point it appears Tesla made the lights even cheaper. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Got mine on Feb 16 2019 so if you have a 2019 Model 3 make sure you check what lights you have before ordering replacements.

I was stupid and didn't. I just presumed they would be right since they were advertised as being for the Model 3.

EDIT: Just checked and the replacements look like they will fit the trunk lights and probably the puddle lights under the doors, but I didn't plan on replacing the puddle lights because I don't need those anyway. Perhaps the footwell lights but I didn't get down and try to look at those.

Will possibly have to take it to SC to get the front console light replaced.

Last edited:
Discovered this morning that my 3 has completely different lights. The light in my console are half the size of the replacements I bought that are supposed to fit the 3. My roof lights are little round light not rectanglular lights as shown in the video from the maker.
Don't know when, but at some recent point it appears Tesla made the lights even cheaper. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Got mine on Feb 16 2019 so if you have a 2019 Model 3 make sure you check what lights you have before ordering replacements.

I was stupid and didn't. I just presumed they would be right since they were advertised as being for the Model 3.

EDIT: Just checked and the replacements look like they will fit the trunk lights and probably the puddle lights under the doors, but I didn't plan on replacing the puddle lights because I don't need those anyway. Perhaps the footwell lights but I didn't get down and try to look at those.

I don't think anything has changed.

Those rectangle you have likely go under doors (puddle lights)and the trunk.

I’ve not seen upgrades for overhead lights.

Not sure what’s under the dash there is probably upgrades for those as well.

Those rectangle you have likely go under doors (puddle lights)and the trunk.

I’ve not seen upgrades for overhead lights.

Not sure what’s under the dash there is probably upgrades for those as well.

I have not seen upgrades for the overhead lights either, but like you, have seen the puddle / console lights. I also dont think the lights have changed. Maybe OP can post a link to the product ordered?

I have not seen upgrades for the overhead lights either, but like you, have seen the puddle / console lights. I also dont think the lights have changed. Maybe OP can post a link to the product ordered?
==========
There are several lights that the replacements I bought WILL fit, including the glovebox / the trunk / and probably the puddle lights. I haven't laid down on the driveway to look under the doors or in the footwells. My main concern was about the ultra dim lights in the console. But since I have these replacements I will change out the trunk lights and possibly the frunk too if they fit and the glovebox. Meantime I'm looking for replacements for the console lights.

The trunk, foot-well, and puddle lights are all the same.