Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failsafe Dashcam Save Trick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I'd honked the horn and also pressed the dashcam save button (to document a snowy scene), but when I got home, there was no saved footage. I reformatted the drive on my Mac, and next time I tested, it worked fine.

Others have reported similar problems that caused them to not have important footage of an accident or other event.

Here's a kludge that would prevent this: After a very important event or an accident, remove* the USB drive. That way, you'll be sure to have the last sixty minutes of video.

Any problem with that?

*Dismount it first by pressing and holding the Record button on the Controls screen.

Yep, it's a long running bug that the last one minute clip may get corrupted by the save action. Unplugging is a safer way. I would add to keep another drive in your car as backup (so you can plug that in while your original drive is unplugged).

Other option if you couldn't unplug is to restore deleted clips with a file recovery tool (I document it here):

However the recovery doesn't work on clips that were corrupted (only on the deleted ones that were deleted by the one hour dashcam loop).

Hello, all, new user here. I was trying to find video of a recent accident. To my dismay, it appear that my dashcam was off?! I thought I had addressed it early on with the car, but something happened. Anyhow, I stopped recording and removed the stick which I have here is the house. Car is over ran hour away. When I look at the factory stick, 128mb, all I see is 46 or so mb used. When looking through the files most of that is old sentry clips. Nothing in recent or saved that pertains to the date of the accident. So, my question is?

Is there always a 1 hour loop running? If so, is it possible that the file does not show as used space on the Thumb Drive?

I also have my insurance company working on pulling my black box data which should indicate I was not at fault for this accident.

I thought for sure I was going to have video... Why would it NOT record? Privacy preferences?

Thanks anyone/everyone. I did not want to start another thread

Hello, all, new user here. I was trying to find video of a recent accident. To my dismay, it appear that my dashcam was off?! I thought I had addressed it early on with the car, but something happened. Anyhow, I stopped recording and removed the stick which I have here is the house. Car is over ran hour away. When I look at the factory stick, 128mb, all I see is 46 or so mb used. When looking through the files most of that is old sentry clips. Nothing in recent or saved that pertains to the date of the accident. So, my question is?

Is there always a 1 hour loop running? If so, is it possible that the file does not show as used space on the Thumb Drive?

I also have my insurance company working on pulling my black box data which should indicate I was not at fault for this accident.

I thought for sure I was going to have video... Why would it NOT record? Privacy preferences?

Thanks anyone/everyone. I did not want to start another thread
The loop would be in the Recent clips folder. If you have not plugged the drive back in, you may be able to recover the deleted footage using this process:

The loop would be in the Recent clips folder. If you have not plugged the drive back in, you may be able to recover the deleted footage using this process:
So even if I did not have dashcam enabled, it Should be there? I checked out Recuva earlier and it looks like its windows only? Have not plugged USB back into car. Here's hoping.... TY

So even if I did not have dashcam enabled, it Should be there? I checked out Recuva earlier and it looks like its windows only? Have not plugged USB back into car. Here's hoping.... TY

There are other file recovery alternatives for Mac, like Disk Drill. The process however might be a bit different. Also the way to determine the recording date of the recovered file may vary also.
Best 7 Recuva Alternatives for Mac: Compared & Tested

The Ultimate Data Recovery Software for Mac & Windows