Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure of audio from phone - help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sudden failure of audio playing through the car that had been working fine. phone call placed in phone does play through car speaker. streaming audio plays as does usb audio. Car shows as if audio is playing but no sound (eg it shows pause control and if I hit it the audio stops playing on the phone)
Set up apt in app. Now 1 day before mobile scheduled they cancelled apt b/c they don't think mobile can fix it.

1 everything has been reset (hard, soft, disconnect bt from phone and reconnect)
2 I found a very old phone and it did pair and audio from that phone did work through the car
3 The phone has no trouble playing through a bluetooth headset

So - I don't understand how a phone call audio can transmit and work through the car but audio from the same phone doesn't. I don't understand how the bt from the phone works with a headset but not through the car speakers?

Any help or thoughts????

I'm a bit confused. What are you expecting versus what is actually happening?

Bluetooth audio (for things aside from phone calls) only works if you have bluetooth selected in the media options. If you're on Spotify, FM Radio, etc. then you won't hear anything from your phone even though it's being sent to the car.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I can edit this post but not the original one.

I was always able to hear my music, books, etc. (from my phone) on the car when paired through bt. Now that has changed - it was working then suddenly the sound stopped.
My phone is able to be selected to play media on the car (as it always was) but now no sound is coming through the car.

Last edited:
Since it seems to be specific to your phone, here's a few ideas:
  • In addition to just disconnecting, unpair the devices. Make sure you do this on your phone. Go through to pairing process again and see if it works.
  • Try different apps for audio. Music player, YouTube, browser, different music apps.
  • If you feel adventurous and have Android, enable developer options and play with the Bluetooth codecs. They recently improved something with Bluetooth audio in the Model 3, and it may be selecting an improper codec somehow.
EDIT: Also ensure media is enabled for the Tesla BT device in your phone. Calls and media are separate settings.

Already did the first 2 (multiple times), don't feel confident to do the codecs. I do have android and the old phone I tried that did work is also android.
The thing that I don't understand is that it just stopped working in the middle of a trip - eg it was working, got out of car, got back in later and audio didn't seem to switch to the car. Never worked since then, but the phone works with the bt headset it always worked with. So the bt FROM the phone is working, but just not the the car.
Note this did not happen just after an update (eg I had updated a few days prior)

Couple of things on this because I had similar issues:

- I was able to isolate it to a bluetooth compatibility issue.
- Android - Samsung S10+
- Car communicates with phone perfectly, under any configuration, until I change the phone's bluetooth setting to play audio through the phone instead of playing audio through the car.
- 3 options on the phone's bluetooth settings: phone, audio, contacts
- once audio is deselected at any point during a session, it permanently interferes with the pairing. The car will constantly drop and attempt a reconnect of the entire device.
-the only way to get it functional again is to remove the pairing from both devices, and re-pair them.

No clue if this is on Tesla's side, or, if it's Samsung/Android. Both people involved will blame each other. However, I can state that the S10+ with no other changes, connects perfectly fine 100% of the time to our Kia and our Ford.

The thing is that it worked fine for months. So I am not deselecting audio at any point and the phone is connected.

Now when I'm listening on bluetooth headphones and approach the car it switches the bt to the car, but instead of continuing the audio (as it has for months) it silences the phone (eg switched the bt connection to the car) but does not broadcast from the car speaker. I can reconnect to the bt headset to continue hearing the audio -
I have a samsung 8 and I didn't ever have a problem for 3 months- I've tried repairing, hard reset, power off, removing the bt headphone from pairing (based on a short thread a few years ago) and nothing works.
What is the most frustrating is that unless I turn bt off (and can't use the phone as a key) as soon as I open the door the audio in my headset stops but continues to play on the car - but I can't hear anything (I can see the audio continuing to play on the phone). On the car I can stop the play (and see it is paused on the phone).

I just skimmed these posts - have you rebooted the car? Or is that what you meant by hard reset?

I had this happen once, rebooting the car fixed it - when the phone wouldn't connect as a phone, rebooting it fixed that.. Sad but true, seems like every once in a while the hardware needs a kick in the butt.

Yes I've rebooted, soft, hard (with brake) and even tried power off - not sure if that is the same or different from the 2 buttons plus brake. The funny thing is that the phone connects through the car when used as a phone but no audio from anything else.

I have this very same problem, everything was working fine and now the apps does not play on the car speakers I noticed the problem started the very same day my Premium Connectivity expired. I thought this was what it was? I renewed the premium connectivity and it did not fix the problem.
I have two teslas and this problem is just with one car the other one works fine. Any Ideas?

I have this very same problem, everything was working fine and now the apps does not play on the car speakers I noticed the problem started the very same day my Premium Connectivity expired. I thought this was what it was? I renewed the premium connectivity and it did not fix the problem.
I have two teslas and this problem is just with one car the other one works fine. Any Ideas?
Out of curiousity, what phone do you have? I have a Galaxy S20 Ultra. I also noticed this same problem when my Premium Connectivity expired. What's odd is that the audio from my phone calls are transmitted perfectly through the Tesla. Not the same story for Spotify or other audio, I just get silence. I tried to follow Teslas troubleshooting instructions (forgetting both devices, and restarting the monitor), to no avail. The amount of effort required to fix this may exceed the $100 fee for Premium Connectivity, so I will probably cave. Maybe that's the idea.

It's weird to me that playing music over bluetooth to the car should care about connectivity since it shouldn't be using any cell data from the car. Feels like some other bug 🤷‍♀️
correct, it doesn't care about connectivity. And I agree it is likely some other bug with how Tesla interfaces with audio from certian Bluetooth devices.

There is also another known bug with Tesla not automatically remembering to connect to saved Wi-Fi networks/hotspots. This one forces me to manually connect to my phone's hotspot every time I want the car to have internet so I can use the Spotify app on my Tesla.

Two separate unrelated bugs both pushing customers toward paying for Premium Connectivity if they wish to listen to music in their car. I don't believe in coincidences.

Reactions: Msjulie