Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure on 4th day of ownership of M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery this past Tuesday of a M3 and absolutely love the car, On Friday, I reversed out of my garage, put it in drive and nothing happened. The screen said "unable to drive" I reset by pushing the toggles, no resolution. I opened the door to get my wife's car and everything turned back on, no message anymore and normal. The two options online, they said they would schedule someone out the following Friday, and "chat" went dark and didn't respond. Not satisfied with a couple of long trips coming up, I contacted the local service center and they said to bring the car in immediately which I did. Apparently, its a drive module. They gave ma an X loaner and the app says 10 days before I can get my car back. I want to think this is an exception to the rule and I got bad computer module. Anyone else had experience with such a problem?

I've had my M3 since September of 2020. I had one of the cameras fail within three weeks. Tesla sent someone out to my house. He was there only a few minutes before he found the problem: a cable had become unplugged. He said it probably hadn't been installed properly at the factory. Obviously your problem is more critical. Electrical failures can be much more inexplicable than mechanical failures, but your car is new - under warranty - and once fixed., the odds are it won't happen again.

Upvote 0
Our Teslas are, after all, big rolling computing machines. Infant mortality, while increasingly rare with modern manufacturing and testing methodology, does still happen. Seems like you just got the short stick on this one. I'm coming up on three years and 45k next month and have had very few squawks (AC condenser fan motor x2, upper control arm rattles). Suggest you let them fix it and go back to enjoying your new ride!

😎

Upvote 0
I had a controller board fail in my Model Y after 8 months of ownership. I had to drive two and a half hours to the nearest service center to get it fixed. Overall it was a positive experience. I'm glad the car could give me an error message and continue to function normally. The people at the service center were great. They treated me really well and they fixed a few other minor things free of charge.

I don't expect cars or people to be perfect. As long as they respond well when things go wrong, I'm satisfied.

Reactions: AZAV8R and Mithgul
Upvote 0
Happened to my Model 3 P about 2 hours after getting it. I got a VC_front xxx error that would clear after a day or so then return. It never caused any problems with driving the car and once they replaced the bad component all was fine.
The service center and everyone there were very helpful and easy to work with. This is my 3rd Tesla and the first "problem" I ever had.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Infant mortality (if new). Unfortunately happens with electronics. Does your invoice say exactly what needs to be done? Sounds like you need a new drive unit (motor), not just a “computer module”. Would be fine after they replace it; Tesla’s got that process down.
"infant mortality" only happens when the company selling the product has sh*t Quality Control. Legit companies run products through testing to catch this type of crap. Imagine how less service would be if there was proper testing & validation *before* parts/cars shipped from the factory?
With my venting aside, it does seem like this is become a more frequent issue with MY/M3 as of late???

Upvote 0
I took delivery this past Tuesday of a M3 and absolutely love the car, On Friday, I reversed out of my garage, put it in drive and nothing happened. The screen said "unable to drive" I reset by pushing the toggles, no resolution. I opened the door to get my wife's car and everything turned back on, no message anymore and normal. The two options online, they said they would schedule someone out the following Friday, and "chat" went dark and didn't respond. Not satisfied with a couple of long trips coming up, I contacted the local service center and they said to bring the car in immediately which I did. Apparently, its a drive module. They gave ma an X loaner and the app says 10 days before I can get my car back. I want to think this is an exception to the rule and I got bad computer module. Anyone else had experience with such a problem?
The good thing with well built components is that if they are going to fail, they will fail very quickly, if they don’t, then they last forever

Upvote 0
Infant mortality (if new). Unfortunately happens with electronics. Does your invoice say exactly what needs to be done? Sounds like you need a new drive unit (motor), not just a “computer module”. Would be fine after they replace it; Tesla’s got that process down.
They said it was a firm wear issue, nothing they could do and if it happens again, to hit the buttons and rest.

Reactions: karkrazy
Upvote 0
"infant mortality" only happens when the company selling the product has sh*t Quality Control. Legit companies run products through testing to catch this type of crap. Imagine how less service would be if there was proper testing & validation *before* parts/cars shipped from the factory?
With my venting aside, it does seem like this is become a more frequent issue with MY/M3 as of late???
Picked up after the "repair" and just completed a 400 mile round trip, no more issues. Loving the driving experience.

Upvote 0