Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure to drive off lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So…. I bought a model Y on December 30th and took delivery on the 31st…. But the car wouldn’t drive off the lot. Once I shifted the car into drive, I started getting warning messages like “electrical system does not support all accessories, system cannot restart, etc.”. Anyone else experience that? The sales guy told me I should schedule a service call (for a call that hadn’t even been driven!) and take a loaner. I refused to take delivery of the lemon, despite assurances that the car would be fixed. WTF. I can see why Tesla has so many disillusioned customers now.

Well, if you wanted the huge discount, you'd have to take delivery of it, then get it fixed. Which shouldn't be a problem, (if you get a loaner, you're still leaving with a car) just really sucks that you'd have to buy a car that is DOA. Stuff happens. And no, there's really no excuse for it... but it comes down to whether you want $7500 off one of the best EVs you can buy or not. It sounds like you missed the boat on the $7500 now.

It says you took delivery, but then says you refused to take delivery. Is the car yours or not?

Most likely, it's a module that needs replacement, and the car will be fine afterwards. But, I'd be willing to bet they won't honor the $7500 off now if you went back to finalize the deal after they repair it. If it wasn't "yours" by midnight on 12/31, the discount can't happen.

That was a tough decision. On one hand, you had a car in hand with a $7,500 discount and 10K Supercharger miles. But, there was the unknown of the issue - it could have been as simple as a low LV battery. On the other hand, you delay to get a car TBD without any discounts. But, it might not have any initial issues.

Have you reordered your car yet and recieved a delivery date or VIN?

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe everything I read. My experience was poor though and frankly really disappointing. Ive personally heard mixed opinions about people’s teslas — I’ve also had a friend who died when their model x was on autopilot as the car drove him into a divider.

Define reputation. A handful of issues on a forum? Have you reviewed other OEM car forums? It’s a mechanic device, stuff happens.
I'm sure he's going to quote Consumer Reports, in which case I'm not sure why he's buying the car anyway, if he's that concerned about 'reliability' - most of which has to do with things like panel gaps and fits, which has nothing to do with reliability....

Maybe it would be just a module that needs replacement or maybe it would be something that was faulty not covered by the warranty. Who knows.
EVERYTHING would be covered by warranty if you never even drove the car. C'mon, you're just making stuff up now. Yeah, it sucks that that happened but there's no reason to believe they would not fix the car back up to spec. And as others have noted, you're on the hook for an additional $7500 now. That's not insignificant.

Maybe it would be just a module that needs replacement or maybe it would be something that was faulty not covered by the warranty. Who knows.
There's nothing that can be wrong with a brand new car that wouldn't be covered by warranty. However getting it fixed to your satisfaction can sometimes be a challenge.

You gave up $7500 and 10k in supercharger miles for something that would have been fixed under warranty. Things happen, even to new items, that’s why you have a warranty. Cars are module, something breaks, it can be replaced without a negative affect on the car. I’d be more worried if it were a major paint issue or dent. It’s harder to get paint blended then replacing an internal part.

Reactions: richyrich
I'm sure he's going to quote Consumer Reports, in which case I'm not sure why he's buying the car anyway, if he's that concerned about 'reliability' - most of which has to do with things like panel gaps and fits, which has nothing to do with reliability....
Yeah, i was going to bring up Consumer Reports -- and I, like you, thought it only had to do with panel gaps and fits. Buying a new car that doesnt drive though isnt a shining beacon of reliability though, is it?

Tesla is known for its poor initial build/inspection quality, but after the initial period, it becomes much smoother. I empathized with this poor first impression, in my first few weeks of ownership 5 years ago, I actually drove the loaner more than my own car. Overall, I still count Tesla as reliable, the price is premium but the initial build quality and service are only average.