Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure to drive off lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think you’ve added anything useful to this thread except for insults. Good to know there are people that still get heated over a random stranger on a forum.
No issues at all just like to call out people that like to inflate non issues to feel like the are wise. Like having No issues yet they pile on to Any issue or problem for no reason other then to stoke the fire.

Well, if you wanted the huge discount, you'd have to take delivery of it, then get it fixed. Which shouldn't be a problem, (if you get a loaner, you're still leaving with a car) just really sucks that you'd have to buy a car that is DOA. Stuff happens. And no, there's really no excuse for it... but it comes down to whether you want $7500 off one of the best EVs you can buy or not. It sounds like you missed the boat on the $7500 now.

It says you took delivery, but then says you refused to take delivery. Is the car yours or not?
Will he definitely miss the boat on the $7500 credit? I think it's back on for Tesla for quite a while under the new law, isn't it? Also, even if it does expire before he can get a replacement vehicle, he should force Tesla to discount the price. I wouldn't accept the vehicle, personally. Too much risk and also having to waste time with potentially repeat Service Center visits. Not sure how he could accept an all-but-undriveable vehicle, anyway.
Tough call
It's not even remotely a tough call in my view. One absolutely should not accept delivery of a new vehicle that has what sound like significant electrical and electronic faults before delivery...lol. Especially not a Tesla, based on my 2.5 years of owning an MY. It's been a pain the a**, honestly.
Define reputation. A handful of issues on a forum? Have you reviewed other OEM car forums? It’s a mechanic device, stuff happens.
Literally LOL'ed at this one and woke up my dog.

A "handful of issues in a forum"? Seriously? LOL.

Tesla vehicles have consistently ranked at or near the bottom for reliability in every meaningful survey. They were last place in Consumer Reports' survey one year, and 27th out of 28th another year. And no, just because Musk had Big Madz about it doesn't invalidate the results.

Tesla's fit, finish, and almost comical assembly mistakes are pretty much universally acknowledged by everybody, including Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Eletrek, and others. It's a running joke at this point.

Apart from the known build quality issues, there are endless vetted news articles in trusted media, confirmed by reporting over the past few *years* about much more significant reliability and design problems with Teslas. There's the issue with the doors freezing shut, the one about the heat pumps failing in cold climates, about nearly every issue under the sun. Too many to even list here and waaaaay more than you see for other BEVs in terms of sheer quantity of significant issues.

Even if one ignores all that, which one really can't, any attempt to dismiss the 1,000s of high-participation threads about tons of different problems on this site alone as "a handful of issues on a forum" with a straight face just comes across as totally non-objective. It's not a serious comment at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikola91423
Will he definitely miss the boat on the $7500 credit? I think it's back on for Tesla for quite a while under the new law, isn't it? Also, even if it does expire before he can get a replacement vehicle, he should force Tesla to discount the price. I wouldn't accept the vehicle, personally. Too much risk and also having to waste time with potentially repeat Service Center visits. Not sure how he could accept an all-but-undriveable vehicle, anyway.

It's not even remotely a tough call in my view. One absolutely should not accept delivery of a new vehicle that has what sound like significant electrical and electronic faults before delivery...lol. Especially not a Tesla, based on my 2.5 years of owning an MY. It's been a pain the a**, honestly.

Literally LOL'ed at this one and woke up my dog.

A "handful of issues in a forum"? Seriously? LOL.

Tesla vehicles have consistently ranked at or near the bottom for reliability in every meaningful survey. They were last place in Consumer Reports' survey one year, and 27th out of 28th another year. And no, just because Musk had Big Madz about it doesn't invalidate the results.

Tesla's fit, finish, and almost comical assembly mistakes are pretty much universally acknowledged by everybody, including Car & Driver, Consumer Reports, Eletrek, and others. It's a running joke at this point.

Apart from the known build quality issues, there are endless vetted news articles in trusted media, confirmed by reporting over the past few *years* about much more significant reliability and design problems with Teslas. There's the issue with the doors freezing shut, the one about the heat pumps failing in cold climates, about nearly every issue under the sun. Too many to even list here and waaaaay more than you see for other BEVs in terms of sheer quantity of significant issues.

Even if one ignores all that, which one really can't, any attempt to dismiss the 1,000s of high-participation threads about tons of different problems on this site alone as "a handful of issues on a forum" with a straight face just comes across as totally non-objective. It's not a serious comment at all.
You can't grab posts on a forum and make them representative of the vast majority of owners/ users for any product. Think about it. Unless you are an enthusiast why would you make an account here to share your good experience? Meanwhile people with issues search the internet and find a forum where they can get help. I really believe you fail to realize this fact not to mention you don't even seem to understand the EV tax credit in regard to MY. Since you have had such a nightmare experience why didn't you sell the car? You would've sold it for more than you bought it

Reactions: 804son and Yelobird
He has already missed the boat on the $7,500 Credit. There have been a couple of people on the forum stating that they have tried to get the credit after expiration. None have been successful.
Yes, he should just march in there and "force" Tesla to discount the price. Let me know when that happens 🤣

Last edited:
He has already missed the boat on the $7,500 Credit. There have been a couple of people on the forum stating that they have tried to get the credit after expiration. None have been successful.
Yes, he should just march in there and "force" Tesla to discount the price. Let me know when that happens 🤣
I think he meant the EV tax credit rather than the $7500 discount incentive given by Tesla themselves. As we know the IRS made horrible decisions and the 5 seat MYLR doesn't qualify because the MSRP is more than 55K.

• Helpful
Reactions: 804son
As we know the IRS made horrible decisions and the 5 seat MYLR doesn't qualify because the MSRP is more than 55K.

I keep reading statements like this on this forum. Where was the IRS's decision-making in this process? Congress passed a law that had different rules for cars vs. SUV/trucks/vans. While I don't necessarily agree with the details of the law, all the IRS did was take the legal definitions of those categories and apply them to the specs submitted by the manufacturers. It doesn't appear that they 'decided' anything.

Reactions: Magnus0322
Define reputation. A handful of issues on a forum? Have you reviewed other OEM car forums? It’s a mechanic device, stuff happens.
Hear hear! WTF! Bad reputation! When any manufacturer of any product can boast nil issues with a new product ever, that's the time to talk about reputations for unreliability.

God knows, I would have been pretty devastated had it happened to me, particular as "achieving" a Tesla had taken me 7 years. However, after a bit of calming down and an S Plaid :) loaner plus $7,500and 10K SUC in your, pocket might have been the way to go. Also you would have got back a Y that had been checked down to the molecular level. There will always be Monday cars.

Anyway, I do hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction (I would do some polite negotiation on the $7,500 and 10k). The Tesla guys were, IMHO, negligent in not explaining the monetary loss consequential on your not accepting the car.

P.S. Did you know about this poor reputation for reliability when you clicked the buy button?

Reactions: DrGriz
I keep reading statements like this on this forum. Where was the IRS's decision-making in this process? Congress passed a law that had different rules for cars vs. SUV/trucks/vans. While I don't necessarily agree with the details of the law, all the IRS did was take the legal definitions of those categories and apply them to the specs submitted by the manufacturers. It doesn't appear that they 'decided' anything.
Yeah I saw on Twitter that guy that explained the CFR that applies to SUVs and I understand now why Model Y 5 seater doesn't qualify. Hopefully this all gets sorted out. I don't qualify for the EV tax credit and that's why I rushed to get the $7500 from a Tesla inventory car. If I was waiting for a Tesla though I'd give myself until later this year to let the dust settle. Perhaps if demand slows enough Tesla will react. I fully anticipate Tesla will be lowering MYLR prices even more than they did for the Q4 push and it will be a really good deal for those who can get the EV tax credit

Reactions: DrGriz
Yup, price might drop even more plus there will be more features. This is very volatile with tech, gov't and other things changing fast. It's hard to predict where the ball will be next.
Unless there is scarcity, technology will tend get cheaper or be better at the same price points in the long run. Whether that’s computers, smart phones, tvs, or EVs.

I just bought a Sienna. The sienna solves more problems and was the car i originally wanted to get (640m range on a full tank, 35mpg, and can haul all the camping gear). The model Y is attractive for other reasons (electric, self driving) but has its problems (service, road trip range). If service is bad now, i can only imagine how much worse it will be when there are that many more Teslas that need service. It's also hard to justify spending $100k on cars when i work from home and as we are headed into recession.

I tend to agree. I believe it's mostly subjective and will usually jump to the company's defense when people try to paint ALL Teslas as terrible or ALL service centers are garbage, etc.

That being said, there is a ton of compelling evidence that they have quality control issues, and have had them for a long time. And for the money we're paying, that should not be the case. I've heard people say that it's not fair to compare a $70,000 Tesla to a $70,000 BMW because the Tesla is such a paradigm shift away from a 'normal' car. This is straight up, Grade A bullsh!t. You can only penetrate a market so far with early adopters. I tell people considering a Tesla, or really any BEV, that you need to allow for *very* different issues compared to your old cars, including paying a premium for being an early adopter. If that scares you, don't buy it.

I tend to agree. I believe it's mostly subjective and will usually jump to the company's defense when people try to paint ALL Teslas as terrible or ALL service centers are garbage, etc.

That being said, there is a ton of compelling evidence that they have quality control issues, and have had them for a long time. And for the money we're paying, that should not be the case. I've heard people say that it's not fair to compare a $70,000 Tesla to a $70,000 BMW because the Tesla is such a paradigm shift away from a 'normal' car. This is straight up, Grade A bullsh!t. You can only penetrate a market so far with early adopters. I tell people considering a Tesla, or really any BEV, that you need to allow for *very* different issues compared to your old cars, including paying a premium for being an early adopter. If that scares you, don't buy it.
Last year we had a jolly thread here devoted to the hoped, dreams and life and times of all things Tesla as we waited for our dream mobile to be delivered. The forgoing could suggest opticians experiencing a run on Rose Tinted Spectacles.
The etiquette was that we stated the config of the eagerly awaited vehicle.

Now, there is no requirement to be a Tesla owner or owner in waiting to post here. However, I think it would be a value add for posted to declare their drive.
Just sayin....,

Last year we had a jolly thread here devoted to the hoped, dreams and life and times of all things Tesla as we waited for our dream mobile to be delivered. The forgoing could suggest opticians experiencing a run on Rose Tinted Spectacles.
The etiquette was that we stated the config of the eagerly awaited vehicle.

Now, there is no requirement to be a Tesla owner or owner in waiting to post here. However, I think it would be a value add for posted to declare their drive.
Just sayin....,
PS I wish the mobile version allowed editing for my multitude of typos🙄.