Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failure to drive off lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is denying that Ford reliability is shoddy..

But how many recalls did Tesla have in 2022?
  1. Ford: 67 recalls, 8,636,265 units
  2. Volkswagen Group: 45 recalls, 1,040,885 units
  3. Fiat-Chrysler/Stellantis: 38 recalls, 3,041,431 units
  4. Mercedes-Benz: 33 recalls, 969,993 units
  5. General Motors: 32 recalls, 3,371,302 units
  6. Kia: 24 recalls, 1,458,962 units
  7. Hyundai: 22 recalls, 1,452,101 units
  8. Tesla: 20 recalls, 3,769,581 units
  9. BMW: 19 recalls, 1,000,455 units
  10. Nissan: 15 recalls, 1,568,385 units

Ford, 67 recalls with 40 different models - Normal

Tesla, 20 recalls with 4 models, realistically only 2 (The amount of S and X on the road is minimal) - Not Normal

So 20 recalls for basically 2 models in a year. Hmmmmm

• Disagree
Reactions: 804son
Mods
stop feeding the trolls, this is nothing but a troll thread.

So…. I bought a model Y on December 30th and took delivery on the 31st…. But the car wouldn’t drive off the lot. Once I shifted the car into drive, I started getting warning messages like “electrical system does not support all accessories, system cannot restart, etc.”. Anyone else experience that? The sales guy told me I should schedule a service call (for a call that hadn’t even been driven!) and take a loaner. I refused to take delivery of the lemon, despite assurances that the car would be fixed. WTF. I can see why Tesla has so many disillusioned customers now.
One has to wonder how they got the damned thing onto the truck.

Reactions: YNoVA
Completely makes sense. I to love to grind on my mistakes and keep repeating them. This pizza makes me sick, give me another slice!
Hey man, guess I'm crazy for buying a good product but also being able to criticize its flaws. The only reason I bought a second Tesla was because the first one I owned had no issues and I had a good experience with it. Thankfully I haven't had any issues on either of my Tesla's but you can't deny the wide-spread reliability issue that is impacting other owners which shouldn't be shrugged off.

Reactions: Gy2020
Hey man, guess I'm crazy for buying a good product but also being able to criticize its flaws. The only reason I bought a second Tesla was because the first one I owned had no issues and I had a good experience with it. Thankfully I haven't had any issues on either of my Tesla's but you can't deny the wide-spread reliability issue that is impacting other owners which shouldn't be shrugged off.
No one is shrugging off that Tesla has issues. What should be noted is the majority of users with good experiences rarely populate these types of forums. That applies for Tesla or any other product. For example on AVSForum I created a thread on the Onkyo RZ50 and if you read it you'd think the RZ50 is a POS but the reality is the vast majority of owners are satisfied and there is a large minority who have issues who make posts to seek help or sympathy etc.

Just look at your experience. You yourself just said you have 2 Teslas with relatively no issues. My MY came with a chipped Backlite glass from the factory. Should I have been that way? Of course not. Tesla is fixing it. I hope my first mobile service experience is as good as my delivery experience.

No one is shrugging off that Tesla has issues. What should be noted is the majority of users with good experiences rarely populate these types of forums. That applies for Tesla or any other product. For example on AVSForum I created a thread on the Onkyo RZ50 and if you read it you'd think the RZ50 is a POS but the reality is the vast majority of owners are satisfied and there is a large minority who have issues who make posts to seek help or sympathy etc.

Just look at your experience. You yourself just said you have 2 Teslas with relatively no issues. My MY came with a chipped Backlite glass from the factory. Should I have been that way? Of course not. Tesla is fixing it. I hope my first mobile service experience is as good as my delivery experience.
Exactly.. For every 1 horror story you here there are thousands of happy, issue-free owners.

Tesla delivered 400,000 vehicles in Q4. There are obviously going to be some factory defects but I'm positive a vast majority of those new owners have cars that drive perfectly.

Whenever someone has an issue with a product or service, they want to make their voices heard. This is why you always see a post about someone's Tesla shutting down, not turning on, etc. You don't see people saying "My car works perfectly fine!" because that's normal.. we'd see thousands of those posts. People are generally more inclined to post negative feedback rather than positive, which is why people may be skewed to believing Tesla delivers inferior products when in fact they do not.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Exactly.. For every 1 horror story you here there are thousands of happy, issue-free owners.

Tesla delivered 400,000 vehicles in Q4. There are obviously going to be some factory defects but I'm positive a vast majority of those new owners have cars that drive perfectly.

Whenever someone has an issue with a product or service, they want to make their voices heard. This is why you always see a post about someone's Tesla shutting down, not turning on, etc. You don't see people saying "My car works perfectly fine!" because that's normal.. we'd see thousands of those posts. People are generally more inclined to post negative feedback rather than positive, which is why people may be skewed to believing Tesla delivers inferior products when in fact they do not.
I also think the lack of scummy stealership interactions can't be discounted. I think the reason Tesla gets so much flak is because this is the most expensive car people have bought (I know it is the case for me) and they expect perfection for their money. It's like when regular people buy a first class on an airline. They expect private jet charter service because they're not used to spending so much money for a product that isn't truly luxury

• Informative
Reactions: whisperingshad
Why didn't the SC check it out. It would've been in Tesla's interest as well as the buyer to spend 20 minutes to make everyone happy. Why? We can only speculate.
I think the rain was a big factor in it. It was pouring that day -- parts of the bay area had 10 inches of rain, which made it a record rainfall ever kind of day. The service guy probably didnt want to try to move a immobile car into service in those conditions. That, and i dont think it was super clear what the issue was since there were multiple errors popping up on screen. Errors that he had never seen before. The tesla sales guy and service guy said they had never seen this happen before.

Reactions: zoomer0056

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t believe everything I read. My experience was poor though and frankly really disappointing. Ive personally heard mixed opinions about people’s teslas — I’ve also had a friend who died when their model x was on autopilot as the car drove him into a divider.
So you realize someone unhappy with a panel gap falls into the reliability section...

"Owners of the Model Y reported that they faced issues with the climate system, paint, trim, body integrity, body hardware, power equipment, and in-car electronics."

This is hilarious. The bold section probably accounts for 90% of the rating. Not real issues... based on this rating in a group of 10 people 8 would have a problem. I know over 10 owners of Y's with over 36k miles and none have these issues.

No, when did I mention the door problem or battery fuse? Unless you read the wrong post. I'm talking about the 20 recalls that Tesla had for the year.

Yes, Ford may have had 67 recalls, but Ford also has 40 different models while Tesla has 4. You can't really compare the metrics.

Also Tesla has a fairly high number of recalls, especially considering their sales volume.

HTV8elS.jpg
Sorry to get back to you so late. One of the recalls in your "20 Tesla recalls of 2022" was for the door window problem. So, in fact, you mentioned it. I guess maybe you never looked to see what the recalls you brought up were. You are welcome. Glad to help out.

Anyway, I agree with what other have said in that we all wish Tesla would do better. I am realistic about that. But I think it is a stretch to call Tesla "the most unreliable car ever made" for things like that. Maybe that was a little hyperbolic on your part.

Sorry to get back to you so late. One of the recalls in your "20 Tesla recalls of 2022" was for the door window problem. So, in fact, you mentioned it. I guess maybe you never looked to see what the recalls you brought up were. You are welcome. Glad to help out.

Anyway, I agree with what other have said in that we all wish Tesla would do better. I am realistic about that. But I think it is a stretch to call Tesla "the most unreliable car ever made" for things like that. Maybe that was a little hyperbolic on your part.
Bingo!! Along with 100 of his other posts. Lol

• Funny
Reactions: YNoVA and DrGriz

Well put

Reactions: DrGriz