TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Faint Double-Image Through Windshield

Discussion in 'Model X' started by jshnyc, Mar 23, 2016.

1. jshnyc

jshnyc Member

One of the issues I noticed with my Model X when driving was that there is a faint double-image of everything through the windshield. It's really faint, but for example, when I look at the car in front of me, I can see a ghost double of the car right above it.

Is this unique to my glass or does everyone else have this and just not care / notice?

2. quartzav

quartzav Member

Maybe it is the effect of the tint being reflective at the top portion?

3. PGeer

PGeer Member

This is most noticeable at night, IMO. Definitely present and below the area of tint.

4. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

I did not notice it.

My guess is that it is related to the refraction of the light through the glass, the angle and thickness of the glass would be important parts of the equation.

5. jshnyc

jshnyc Member

It's definitely present across the whole glass -- both the tinted and non-tinted areas.

I think refraction can only create a double-image in a birefringent material like calcite. I guess glass can sometimes exhibit double refraction, but you'd have to do some weird combination of polarizing it and subjecting it to stress.

Maybe that's what's happening? Is the windshield polarized? I didn't check.

6. pvogel

pvogel Member

The upper portion of the windshield is most definitely polarized. The clear part is not.

7. Drivin

Drivin Member

are you wearing polarized glasses by any chance?

8. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I absolutely see this but mainly at night. I (and passengers) see double or even triple tail or headlights depending on how far away the vehicle is.

I assumed it is the layers of different material in the glass and the gentler slower than in other vehicle windows. I did try to take a picture of it with my phone but it does not show up in that image that I could tell. Perhaps the prescription glasses (and coating on them that I'm wearing).

In the lower 1/3 part of the window (if I scrunch down) it seems to go away. Seems weird because there seems to be just as much of an angle/slope down there as in the middle. I'm 5'11" and it is worse for me than my 5'3" wife.

I made a note of this with the service center so it is documented incase a solution is found (replacement window).

9. thimel

thimel Member

My guess would be that a small fraction of the light reflects on the inside surface of the glass and then a small fraction of that reflects again on the outside surface of the glass. This would produce a second image that is much dimmer than the main image and offset at the windshield by a fraction of an inch.

10. proven

proven Member

I haven't noticed--and now I'm upset I've read this because now I'll look for it!

11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I was thinking the plastic interlayers was reflecting the light differently. Can't explain the middle area working different than lower area.

[​IMG]

12. Spidy

Spidy Member

13. JPP

JPP Active Member

I was down at my local service center for a minor fix today, and had time to chat with the service manager there (long time Tesla employee, very experienced (both in the SF Bay Area and also in the EU, very friendly and helpful). We discussed some customer complaints (some posted here in other threads), among other issues, and specifically talked about the Model X windshield issue. He specifically noted to me that the model X windshield ghosting issue is well known at various levels inside Tesla. He says that there is currently no fix/new windshield, and that when they figure out the answer, all affected customers will be addressed. He noted that the service managers actually have a ‘script’ from corporate to basically read to the customer. He acknowledges that this is suboptimal, and that some customers have been less than happy when told that this issue cannot be corrected immediately. Not fun for him, not fun for those affected. Don’t shoot the messenger.

• Informative x 2
  14. OzSimon

OzSimon Member

Somewhere else on this forum it was reported the autopilot 2 vehicles have windscreens from a different vendor. Hope that's true!