Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair Nema 6-50 Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am in the market of getting a Nema 6-50 outdoor receptacle installed to charge my Model Y. I know pricing/quotes have many factors, I will try to discuss a few. But I have read some forums of fellow EV owners getting ripped off in pricing. Because I am new to this, I thought I would get some second opinions. My run is exactly 5 feet from the breaker box to the outside of my home, and I have space for a 50 Amp 2 pole breaker. The electrician will need to drill about three holes, 2 studs, and brick. Most likely, I will have the electrician bring the parts. Any thoughts, tips, and what I need to look out for would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

Hello Acentre,

In the state of Indiana we do, I believe the permit and inspection together is $70. I will need to do some research.

In order to get a permit, some sort of paperwork, plans perhaps, load calculations, etc. has to be prepared. Then there is the time it takes to go and wait to get the permit issued (could be less if your Authority has some sort of on-line submittal process). In addition, your electrician will have to have someone present onsite to meet the inspector at the end of the job (and sometimes they don't show up on time, etc.)

The point is that just because it costs $70 to get a permit and inspection doesn't mean that an electrician can charge you that much (because of the work they have to do and the time they have to spend).

In order to get a permit, some sort of paperwork, plans perhaps, load calculations, etc. has to be prepared. Then there is the time it takes to go and wait to get the permit issued (could be less if your Authority has some sort of on-line submittal process). In addition, your electrician will have to have someone present onsite to meet the inspector at the end of the job (and sometimes they don't show up on time, etc.)

The point is that just because it costs $70 to get a permit and inspection doesn't mean that an electrician can charge you that much (because of the work they have to do and the time they have to spend).
Thank you Randy, 100% the quote/final cost will not be anywhere close to $70. I just wanted to get an idea so I personally have some knowledge about pricing.