Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair Price for Air B&B L2 Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please... Ben Sullans does this. He lives in Southern California, has 2 powerwalls and has solar.

I am not watching the video... But I suggest you watch it again very closely and see if anywhere, at ANY TIME the person says "I charge from the GRID overnight to fill my powerwalls, and I have solar". You wont find it. Its interesting to me that you are stating this as fact and dont even have the product.

I am not watching the video... But I suggest you watch it again very closely and see if anywhere, at ANY TIME the person says "I charge from the GRID overnight to fill my powerwalls, and I have solar". You wont find it. Its interesting to me that you are stating this as fact and dont even have the product.

OK. He says he does it at ?t=459 seconds, but it's fine.
We are all wrong sometimes. Doesn't matter if it's you or me.

OK. He says he does it at ?t=459 seconds, but it's fine.
We are all wrong sometimes. Doesn't matter if it's you or me.

When I go to that spot, he says " If I didnt have solar....."

I am not a person who has to be correct, I dont mind being wrong, but in this case I am not wrong and I am 1000% sure of it, since I have the product, have been using it for almost a year, and am also a pretty heavy participant here in the tesla energy section where some of the smartest people I have ever met talk about our solar and powerwalls. In THIS specific case, I know I am correct.

You are getting confused with "using the grid as your backup battery using NEM (net energy metering)" which is not using the powerwall as a backup, its selling solar to the grid... and way off the topic of this thread, but I stand by what I said. There is no charging from the grid when you have solar + powerwalls except during stormwatch. Dont confuse that with Net energy metering which is not the same thing at all (thats selling solar to the utility and using the utility as the backup, and has nothing to do with powerwalls at all). Thats what he is talking about from the 4 minute mark to 5:50 or so when I stopped listening.

I'm sure this was touched upon in the long thread, but why would the guy have a separate line item for EV charging? Increase your price by $25/night and don't rile the masses up. Then market it as having free destination charging.
The guy should smarten up.
When I charge my customers for something I don't add in a fuel surcharge, 9/11 fee, Covid fee, etc. My price is my price and it's up to me to cover my costs and make a little margin.

If milk was $20, you won't complain?

I would just not buy it.

I've seen $20 milk for sale on a remote bahamas island. If someone really wanted milk, they could get it. That is the beauty of the capitalist system. If the seller starts making a lot of sales (and profit), competition will jump in - driving down the price.

I'm sure this was touched upon in the long thread, but why would the guy have a separate line item for EV charging? Increase your price by $25/night and don't rile the masses up. Then market it as having free destination charging.
The guy should smarten up.
When I charge my customers for something I don't add in a fuel surcharge, 9/11 fee, Covid fee, etc. My price is my price and it's up to me to cover my costs and make a little margin.

Exactly. Itemizing it is an obvious no-win situation, even if it were $10 (reasonable). I'd simply pad the rental price and not itemize. Everyone wins.

I would just not buy it.

I've seen $20 milk for sale on a remote bahamas island. If someone really wanted milk, they could get it. That is the beauty of the capitalist system. If the seller starts making a lot of sales (and profit), competition will jump in - driving down the price.

Yes of course. But, have you ever not bought something and also informed the seller that they were way out of line? This happens on forums all the time. Someone is selling something, the price is way out of line, and people are happy to let them know about it.

This case is different, because my girlfriend drives a Tesla and has booked the Airbnb for a future date—and that is why I'm involved. I've continued to help the owner over the last few days. His tone has become much friendlier as he realizes I'm really just trying to help him. He's ordered a Chargepoint EVSE that I recommended (plug-in or hard-wired options) which will work for his existing NEMA 14-50 outlet....which is upside-down. This is another thing he didn't know even though he had it professionally installed.

There was no EVSE mounted on the wall that would benefit from an upside-down NEMA 14-50 installation so it was likely just installer error. The NEMA 14-50 top hole looks a lot like the 'ground' hole in a normal outlet. The installer has probably been installing these upside-down for a while now. Should be an easy fix though.

The J1772 connector can be used by pretty much every EV driver who'd want to rent this unit, so it's the much better option all around. No need for drivers to provide their own cables or adapters, assuming they even have 'em. If it were me as the Airbnb owner I'd want to know about my mistakes as soon as possible and would welcome any corrections/feedback.

You're not wrong that the market will correct this behavior, maybe, but this creates a mystery to be solved by the Airbnb owner which may be beyond his ken for a while as an EV neophyte. I'm trying to help him out since he's making an effort to accommodate EVs, even if he's clearly new to EVs and their care and feeding right now.

He doesn't actually own an EV but he's considering one for the future. I recommended a Tesla, of course.

It's amazing how far I will go for someone to use my referral code. KIDDING! :D

Last edited:
Not those who have no need to charge. Only a few win.

Almost no one would look at a listing and see "EV charger included in price" and think "I wonder how much they are charging me for this because I dont have an EV". A small few would, but most would not. They would just either ignore it entirely, or think "this place must be pretty tech friendly, they have EV charging even though I dont have one... must be fancy!"

So, yeah I am going to have to disagree with you on this one, about others losing, because they would never know (just like no one really thinks about the cost of theft in their neighborhood going into the cost of stuff at their grocery store).

Almost no one would look at a listing and see "EV charger included in price" and think "I wonder how much they are charging me for this because I dont have an EV". A small few would, but most would not. They would just either ignore it entirely, or think "this place must be pretty tech friendly, they have EV charging even though I dont have one... must be fancy!"

So, yeah I am going to have to disagree with you on this one, about others losing, because they would never know (just like no one really thinks about the cost of theft in their neighborhood going into the cost of stuff at their grocery store).

Just don't rent it and go with the place $10.00 less expensive. Maybe just disable the plug and save everyone the grief.

Just don't rent it and go with the place $10.00 less expensive. Maybe just disable the plug and save everyone the grief.

Maybe that advice is directed at the OP of this thread? I am not renting anything, just participating in a discussion about fair costs for charging in short term rental properties that was started by the OP of this thread.

Not those who have no need to charge. Only a few win.

You can't seriously believe this? Why would anyone look at a price, see EV-charging included, and assume they're getting ripped off by some unknown or invented amount? That's like seeing that a hotel includes a complimentary XYZ, you don't care about XYZ, and thus you're annoyed that you're being dragged over the coals?

Even if this were the case, it would be a vanishing minority of people who are pennywise and pound foolish, and why would the Airbnb owner want to have to police who drives what and charges for how long? Talk about cost/benefit. The only logical solution for the owner is to simply pad the price a little and spread that cost to everyone.

Now, if the price were WAY out of line one might think this, but $10 a night padding? No way. Plus, the incidence of EVs is going up and it's California. Having this added value is well worth the strange few who would find a way to be insulted by inclusive EV-charging in an EV-friendly state like California.

This is not the way. Should all hotels cancel complimentary continental breakfasts because someone complained about having to subsidize a few bucks worth of food that they 'won't use'? How about people who suspect their gas prices are higher because gas stations provide free water and squeegee to clean windows along with complimentary paper towels and use of a bathroom? This 'invented cost' scenario is absurd, and difficult customers like that shouldn't be and probably aren't the target market.

Consider too that there is competition. If they have added-value (EV charging among other things), that puts them at an advantage. Simply not having EV charging is foolish. Let the 1% of people with unjustified anger over included EV-charging rent another place. The added value of EV charging should remain.

You can't seriously believe this? Why would anyone look at a price, see EV-charging included, and assume they're getting ripped off by some unknown or invented amount? That's like seeing that a hotel includes a complimentary XYZ, you don't care about XYZ, and thus you're annoyed that you're being dragged over the coals?

Even if this were the case, it would be a vanishing minority of people who are pennywise and pound foolish, and why would the Airbnb owner want to have to police who drives what and charges for how long? Talk about cost/benefit. The only logical solution for the owner is to simply pad the price a little and spread that cost to everyone.

Now, if the price were WAY out of line one might think this, but $10 a night padding? No way. Plus, the incidence of EVs is going up and it's California. Having this added value is well worth the strange few who would find a way to be insulted by inclusive EV-charging in an EV-friendly state like California.

Just book the place down the street that is less expensive. Free market at work. There is a reason to set your price at what you do. Competition is a major one.