Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair price for PPF + Ceramic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
Hey guys, I was just quoted 3300 for full front PPF (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors) plus rockers, 5 year ceramic coating and matching tint for the two front windows. Does that sound like a fair price for the North East corridor?

I had XPEL full front package (hood, headlights, bumper, quarter panels, a pillars, mirrors) with XPEL Tint on the front two windows for $2400 in Metro Detroit less than a year ago, NE prices are probably higher and driving to Detroit and spending 3 days here would eat up any savings you may have from coming to the midwest, I'd say 3300 is fair but not the best price you'll find.

I had XPEL full front package (hood, headlights, bumper, quarter panels, a pillars, mirrors) with XPEL Tint on the front two windows for $2400 in Metro Detroit less than a year ago, NE prices are probably higher and driving to Detroit and spending 3 days here would eat up any savings you may have from coming to the midwest, I'd say 3300 is fair but not the best price you'll find.
Wow and that included ceramic as well? I’m also getting 5 year ceramic with my bundle.

You guys realize you can apply ceramic yourself for well under $100 right? You literally wipe it on and then wipe it off. I did mine and it was $21 on Amazon and there’s enough product to do it 4 times.

Clean, clay, ceramic on a new car. If your hand is able to go in a back and forth motion you have the necessary skills to do it.

You guys realize you can apply ceramic yourself for well under $100 right? You literally wipe it on and then wipe it off. I did mine and it was $21 on Amazon and there’s enough product to do it 4 times.

Clean, clay, ceramic on a new car. If your hand is able to go in a back and forth motion you have the necessary skills to do it.
The Amazon stuff is garbage, so there’s that. But yes, if you can get your hands on a good product and have cover available for curing then it is absolutely doable yourself.

Where in metro detroit did you get that price?

The Amazon stuff is garbage, so there’s that. But yes, if you can get your hands on a good product and have cover available for curing then it is absolutely doable yourself.
Two bottles of Avalon King, enough for 3 cars, IPA prep, and a bottle of Ceramic boost maintenance spray was under $100. It’s as good as any pro ceramic and easy to apply. My wife’s Audi got the $1000 cc quartz pro application and my MYP looks just as good if not better.

Reactions: ZuleMYP
Really you tested all of them? A few of the reviews mentions people that do it for a living use the stuff. I can tell you it worked great on my car. Durability has yet to be seen but I have enough for four applications easily. I think the people that do it for a living just try to justify their high prices and it’s a bunch of snake oil. Unfortunately a lot of Tesla owners are not car people so they can barely do anything themselves. So they pay high prices for ppf, ceramic, and wraps.

No point of ceramic coating because it will wear off in a few years. If your car gets in a crash or gets damaged, the coating needs to be applied again. Just use graphene ceramic spray and it will last about a year. I pay a mobile detailer $175 for wash, clay, and graphene coat. If I do that for the next 7 years, it's still way cheaper than permanent ceramic coating.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Really you tested all of them? A few of the reviews mentions people that do it for a living use the stuff. I can tell you it worked great on my car. Durability has yet to be seen but I have enough for four applications easily. I think the people that do it for a living just try to justify their high prices and it’s a bunch of snake oil. Unfortunately a lot of Tesla owners are not car people so they can barely do anything themselves. So they pay high prices for ppf, ceramic, and wraps.
The problem with Amazon is it’s become little more than a Chinese flea market. There are some good products, and a lot of cheap crap. The reviews are largely useless, too, because people pay review farms to write good reviews and jack the ratings.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZuleMYP and z335is
My understanding is that more than the coating itself the prep is the key and is more than most home DIYers will do themselves. It strikes me like doing an epoxy coat on your garage. You can do it yourself, but the equipment, time and effort are more than most people have and without proper prep the end result is poor.

Reactions: z335is
Tested plenty of them and yes, all garbage. Talk to me in 6 months and let me know how it’s working. You get what you pay for.

I’ve owned cars that are well beyond the MYPs price point and would never again let the Amazon junk touch it. To each their own though. If you like it, that’s all that matters.

You really said someone isn’t a car person if they don’t use generic, Amazon, penny-merchant chemicals on their 70k+ car? Weird flex, but ok!

• Funny
Reactions: PeteOC and tkram82
Two bottles of Avalon King, enough for 3 cars, IPA prep, and a bottle of Ceramic boost maintenance spray was under $100. It’s as good as any pro ceramic and easy to apply. My wife’s Audi got the $1000 cc quartz pro application and my MYP looks just as good if not better.
Yep, far far superior to a lot of the high end things. I applied it myself to my last BMW, got lazy and paid for a professional 5yr coat on my Mach-E. Guess what, my DIY job on the BMW was better, and I don’t think that’s my skill but the product applied.

The new MYP will get Armor Shield IX… Just gotta motivate myself.

Reactions: csrpenfab
The problem with Amazon is it’s become little more than a Chinese flea market. There are some good products, and a lot of cheap crap. The reviews are largely useless, too, because people pay review farms to write good reviews and jack the ratings.

Well I can tell you I used it and it worked well. I have a good BS meter, and can sift through the fake reviews.

You really said someone isn’t a car person if they don’t use generic, Amazon, penny-merchant chemicals on their 70k+ car? Weird flex, but ok!

Lets read what I wrote one more time.

"Unfortunately a lot of Tesla owners are not car people so they can barely do anything themselves. So they pay high prices for ppf, ceramic, and wraps."

Was I not clear or did you not read? Buy whatever ceramic you want. Or overpay some person to do it for you. Most Tesla owners are not car people and can clearly tell reading these posts.

Tested plenty of them and yes, all garbage. Talk to me in 6 months and let me know how it’s working. You get what you pay for.

I’ve owned cars that are well beyond the MYPs price point and would never again let the Amazon junk touch it. To each their own though. If you like it, that’s all that matters.

So I will apply again in 6 months.... It was $21 for a bottle and its enough to do the car four times at least. My car is shiny, slick, and sheds water. Isnt that what ceramic is supposed to do? "You get what you pay for." Yeah I paid $21 for a product that does exactly what I wanted it to do. If it lasts 6 months then oh well. I can apply it again. Spend more if it makes you feel better. Teslas are not special cars. Its the same build quality as a KIA from 2010 with a big battery and electric motors. People treat them like its a Bugatti or something. I love my car but just brutally honest on what it is.