Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair Price Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what everyone thinks a fair price would be for:

2018 Model 3 LR AWD Blue
24,000 miles
18 inch wheels
Full Xpel wrap since it was brand new
side and rear windows tinted with Photosync
Acceleration Boost
Full Self Driving
Chrome Delete using vinyl
Chrome Delete on Tesla logos with paint
No pets, no smoking, etc

Have two sets of the 18 inch wheels and Titan 7 wheels to go with it. I'm thinking about switching to a Y, but I was curious what everyone thinks this car should sell for.

Thanks for the advice.

2018 Model 3 LR AWD Blue
24,000 miles
18 inch wheels
Acceleration Boost
Full Self Driving
No pets, no smoking, etc

Have two sets of the 18 inch wheels and Titan 7 wheels to go with it. I'm thinking about switching to a Y, but I was curious what everyone thinks this car should sell for.

Thanks for the advice.

$20.00; I’ll give you 100% over asking price and offer $40.00
(Joking!)

In all seriousness though, many of the things you list are essentially valueless. Wraps, chrome removals, tints, etc don’t really factor into the sale price of a used car.

Best bet is to shop the car to Carvana, Vroom and maybe locally and see what you get. Data from us here is meaningless; it’s very market-specific, area-specific and based on what sells where you are. Those websites will account for all that - we won’t here.

Reactions: whitex and dhrivnak
$20.00; I’ll give you 100% over asking price and offer $40.00
(Joking!)

In all seriousness though, many of the things you list are essentially valueless. Wraps, chrome removals, tints, etc don’t really factor into the sale price of a used car.

Best bet is to shop the car to Carvana, Vroom and maybe locally and see what you get. Data from us here is meaningless; it’s very market-specific, area-specific and based on what sells where you are. Those websites will account for all that - we won’t here.

Totally get it. I know they have no value selling to a dealer etc. Carvana vroom etc are suddenly offering way way lower than what is normal for them. I'm guessing they have a glut of inventory or the local market here in NJ is crap.

KBB says about $41K
Capture.JPG

2018 Model 3 LR AWD Blue
24,000 miles
18 inch wheels
Acceleration Boost
Full Self Driving
No pets, no smoking, etc

Thanks for the advice.

Aftermarket upgrades do not add a penny to the value of a car.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Totally get it. I know they have no value selling to a dealer etc. Carvana vroom etc are suddenly offering way way lower than what is normal for them. I'm guessing they have a glut of inventory or the local market here in NJ is crap.

Oof / sorry bud, didn’t realize you’re also in NJ. This is one of the worst used Tesla markets (for good reason .....)

Since we don’t pay sales tax on EVs here ..
... and the $5k rebate is likely coming back in June ...

That depresses the value of a used Tesla, but time.

In general, it can be cheaper to buy a new Model 3 than a used one (at least when the 5k rebate is in effect.)

Even more so - make sure you check the terms if you did collect the $5k. I believe you technically owe the $5k back if you sell the car inside 3 years.

Oof / sorry bud, didn’t realize you’re also in NJ. This is one of the worst used Tesla markets (for good reason .....)

Since we don’t pay sales tax on EVs here ..
... and the $5k rebate is likely coming back in June ...

That depresses the value of a used Tesla, but time.

In general, it can be cheaper to buy a new Model 3 than a used one (at least when the 5k rebate is in effect.)

Even more so - make sure you check the terms if you did collect the $5k. I believe you technically owe the $5k back if you sell the car inside 3 years.

Nah, the 5k thing didn't exist when I got the car. I didn't know it was on the way back.

• Disagree
Reactions: JayNJ and dmurphy
Nah, the 5k thing didn't exist when I got the car. I didn't know it was on the way back.

Yeah, talk on the street is somewhere around July or so - they’ll finally get the “off the top” program moving, so Tesla will just knock $5k off - no actual rebate process or paperwork.

In your case though, the used market prices in the rebate, which kills used value. And that stinks!

5750E04E-B8D0-4E95-AAEE-816FAD8D25C9.jpeg

Yeah, talk on the street is somewhere around July or so - they’ll finally get the “off the top” program moving, so Tesla will just knock $5k off - no actual rebate process or paperwork.

In your case though, the used market prices in the rebate, which kills used value. And that stinks!

View attachment 636568

Unfortunately if I remember right, the Y performance wouldn't qualify for the previous program anyway, right? Ah just looked it up. Looks like S3019 and A4899 adds motorcycles. Limited to $30M / yr and no vehicles with MSRP over 55k.

Unfortunately if I remember right, the Y performance wouldn't qualify for the previous program anyway, right? Ah just looked it up. Looks like S3019 and A4899 adds motorcycles. Limited to $30M / yr and no vehicles with MSRP over 55k.

Yeah, the Y Performance is over the line, unfortunately. I remember looking and thinking the Y LR would work equipped the right way... but the Performance, that's going to be too much.

Hadn't heard about the motorcycle thing - that's good (I love seeing EVs adopted in any form!) and bad because it reduces the pool. Ah well.

Just curious, how much is Carvana/vroom offering you? I sold my 2019 SR+ (no upgrades at all) last year to Carvana in July, that's after NJ's rebate already started, I still got 37k for it, and I paid 40k 1.5 years prior, factoring in federal tax credit, it was close to free tesla for 1.5 years for me.
O, all those upgrades, unfortunately don't matter much in additional value. I mean if Tesla buyers are ok with panel gaps...... tiny dents here and there won't turn minds off.
FSD is really hit or miss because it may worth 10k to you, but worth 1k to me. I have FSD, the only thing I use is auto lane change and autopilot. Used car market is not kind to those that have purchased FSD and expect a return on that.
Good luck on your decision, let us know how it goes. I'm on the fence to upgrade to Y as well, especially if Biden admin pass the 7k incentive.

Just curious, how much is Carvana/vroom offering you? I sold my 2019 SR+ (no upgrades at all) last year to Carvana in July, that's after NJ's rebate already started, I still got 37k for it, and I paid 40k 1.5 years prior, factoring in federal tax credit, it was close to free tesla for 1.5 years for me.
O, all those upgrades, unfortunately don't matter much in additional value. I mean if Tesla buyers are ok with panel gaps...... tiny dents here and there won't turn minds off.
FSD is really hit or miss because it may worth 10k to you, but worth 1k to me. I have FSD, the only thing I use is auto lane change and autopilot. Used car market is not kind to those that have purchased FSD and expect a return on that.
Good luck on your decision, let us know how it goes. I'm on the fence to upgrade to Y as well, especially if Biden admin pass the 7k incentive.
Carvana and Vroom both offered 34 even. A month ago they were offering 38. I periodically check. This is the first time I've ever ran a car through those sites and it was far lower than KBB. I've actually sold above book value to them before.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I know PPF and such doesn't. raise the value, my point in mentioning it was the car is mint since it has been protected since the day it was purchased.

Yep, some people could value FSD, some won't. :).

Also I can't figure out why someone disagreed with my post saying that the NJ 5,000 incentive didn't exist when I bought my car. That is just a fact. I love this site.

Carvana and Vroom both offered 34 even. A month ago they were offering 38. I periodically check. This is the first time I've ever ran a car through those sites and it was far lower than KBB. I've actually sold above book value to them before.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I know PPF and such doesn't. raise the value, my point in mentioning it was the car is mint since it has been protected since the day it was purchased.

Yep, some people could value FSD, some won't. :).

Also I can't figure out why someone disagreed with my post saying that the NJ 5,000 incentive didn't exist when I bought my car. That is just a fact. I love this site.
What about KBB offer? I haven't try their instant cash offer but it doesn't hurt to try.

no rush to sell. This was just a feeler asking the community their thoughts on the current market since I figured people here were more in touch.
One thing to watch out for is the potential upcoming 7k federal incentive and the return of NJ 5k rebate. Brand new model 3 long range sells for 47k+1.2k for destination in nj. factor in those 12k incentive, it's down to 35k, on top of that, NJ has no sales tax on EVs.
If I'm in the market for a tesla model 3 long range, would I choose a brand new car for 36.2k without FSD or a 3 year old car with FSD for 35k+2k in tax?

I'm literally hawking the fed rebate development, the moment there's any concrete development, I'm selling my car to lock in current price and then order a brand new model Y. Ideally, the fed rebate doesn't come live until June and stacks with NJ rebate. Which in this case, I'm selling my car in May timeframe for the maximum gain.

no rush to sell. This was just a feeler asking the community their thoughts on the current market since I figured people here were more in touch.
The fact you have Full Self Driving, I would recommend trying selling your car directly to a third party,
because FSD might be not transferred when using a dealer.

Wait also for the V11 FSD delivery, which is still in Beta stage (until end of 2021 ? from Elon recent tweet),

The fact you have Full Self Driving, I would recommend trying selling your car directly to a third party,
because FSD might be not transferred when using a dealer.

Wait also for the V11 FSD delivery, which is still in Beta stage (until end of 2021 ? from Elon recent tweet),

I don't think that's correct. FSD will follow the car as long as it doesn't go through Tesla. If it gets sold back to Tesla, it's anyone's guess whether they will resell it with or without FSD. That being said, one will always get more money by selling directly to another user than to a dealer.

View attachment 636568

Thanks for the update dmurphy. I am also in NJ and waiting for the return of the 5K rebate (Phase 2).

I read that it specifically states it WILL NOT apply to any vehicle purchased between the end of Phase 1 (Dec 15, 2020) and the time Phase 2 starts up (July 2021).

I was wondering if in this case "purchased" means actually taking delivery or just placing the order. That is, can I order it now and delay delivery until the NJ rebate is turned back on in order to qualify?