Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair tug of war?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the Twitter version of the F150 tug of war? Was that a 2WD F150 vs a 4WD Cybertruck? Didn't look like the front tires were spinning under a torque load, but couldn't see the Tesla tires since it was taking the F150 to the drive thru for lunch....
Dzm

Both trucks have enough torque to spin their wheels attempting to tug of war, so torque is not an issue. The vehicle with the most weight on its drive axles is going to easily win. A 2wd traditional pickup has very little weight on the rear wheels by default.

I haven't seen the weight of the Tesla, but the thick stainless skin alone is going to outweigh the aluminum Ford not even taking into consideration the weight of an Electric vs Internal Combustion drive train.

If the weights were equal, than _maybe_ some anti-slip all-wheel drive technology would be useful. A typical anti-slip rear axle with the transfer case and front hubs locked on a typical 4wd truck is still gong to end up spinning the tires vs. static traction.

• Informative
Reactions: MagnusMako
Does it help that the Tesla's weight is down low in the batteries and the motors.
Not significantly unless there is some shifting/tilting/squatting going on.
The height of the pulling attachment point does matter. If the back of one vehicle shifts upwards (perhaps with the help of an adjustable air suspension), you can generate down-pulling force on the one vehicle and up-pulling force on the other vehicle, stealing its traction.

Reminds me of my favorite mechanical engineering interview question: Theoretically, if you have perfect tires with 1.0 coefficient of friction, you can only generate as much side force as the weight of the car which results in an acceleration of 1g, max. How do top fuel dragsters achieve accelerations in excess of 3gs when they are propelled forward only by the rear wheels?