Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair warning: Autopilot limited to the posted speed limit in latest update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just posting this here to inform potential buyers who may be considering an order based on the capabilities of Autopilot of some important developments being discussed in the model S driving dynamics forum.

In a recent update, Autopilot use in areas that were previously limited to 5mph over the posted speed limit are now limited to 0 over.

This is generally meant to be non divided roads, but as many have experienced, the system often makes questionable designations. Not all areas of the country match the assumptions set in California.

I would advise anyone ordering or buying inventory based on a test drive, to confirm the system will suit their needs on the roads they will using (daily commute, etc).

Has anyone been able to have a carte blanche test drive? I was allowed to drive the car twice in 15 minute increments (mostly because 3/4 of the test drive was going over car features). I'm sure I could've gotten more test drives in but I'm curious if you can just ask to have the car for 2-3 hours to take it through various areas in which a driver frequents. Even then I'm not sure someone would be able to fully appreciate the nuances of the way autopilot operates because, situationally, the same roads can change based on weather/climate/sunlight.

Has anyone been able to have a carte blanche test drive? I was allowed to drive the car twice in 15 minute increments (mostly because 3/4 of the test drive was going over car features). I'm sure I could've gotten more test drives in but I'm curious if you can just ask to have the car for 2-3 hours to take it through various areas in which a driver frequents. Even then I'm not sure someone would be able to fully appreciate the nuances of the way autopilot operates because, situationally, the same roads can change based on weather/climate/sunlight.

Yes, they have had opportunities for overnight test drives, once as a promotion and they are available occasionally.

The Tesla rep sleeps in the back (ok, just kidding about that part).

I really don't see the point of this thread... At all... What are you trying to prove or demonstrate exactly?

These decisions are all about reacting to safety and real world use experiences. People questioned Tesla for the original "wide open" release and now are questioning them again because they've introduced additional safety features after seeing just how irresponsible some owners can be. You can't have it both ways...

Ignore this thread, buy the car, it's freaking amazing.

Jeff

This tread is specifically in the ordering sub-forum because many people considering the vehicle purchase look here and may not notice the discussion in other sections. They need to be aware that recently an update has been made to some cars (it will eventually be applied to all) that for some users will greatly affect the value of this feature. They should probably also be aware of the recent history we now have of Tesla changing function in a negative way after purchase.

Of course, for some people, Autopilot is a novelty or even something they are scared to use regularly. But for many people like me, it was a huge improvement to my commute and the #1 reason for my purchase. That is now being threatened, so everyone should know and consider this situation in their purchase decision. If you have many secondary roads and Autopilot is made worthless for these (55mph = worthless), then between your test drive and your delivery, you might have a big disappointment.

Reactions: Gwgan
The feature still does what it always did...

This statement is completely incorrect. The feature currently allows me to drive a state highway at 60mph. Traffic flows at 60-65 in this area. I travel this state highway 30-40min TWICE A DAY. The latest update would limit the vehicle to 55mph. That would make me an obstruction to traffic (and since it's a Tesla, a 'rude' obstruction) and result in not being able to use Autopilot. Perhaps that is the idea...

Jeff, I understand that the changes haven't had an effect on your situation because you travel on divided highways or you travel more slowly. The car was developed very close to you, and most of the engineers are probably very familiar with the roads you travel regularly. The result is the Autopilot system still functions well in those areas, and you may think nothing meaningful has changed. Please have some perspective that around the country we have many different roadway differences. If you can imagine for example, travelling a straight, flat, two-lane road across Kansas for 4 hours, your proposal is to do so at 55mph, or not to use Autopilot at all? I think most would agree that makes the Tesla and Autopilot much less useful in that area.