Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair warning: Autopilot now limited to posted speed limit in some areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just posting this here to inform potential buyers who may be considering an order based on the capabilities of Autopilot of some important developments being discussed in the model S driving dynamics forum.

In a recent update, Autopilot use in areas that were previously limited to 5mph over the posted speed limit are now limited to 0 over.

This is generally meant to be non divided roads, but as many have experienced, the system often makes questionable designations. Not all areas of the country match the assumptions set in California.

I would advise anyone ordering or buying inventory based on a test drive, to confirm the system will suit their needs on the roads they will using (daily commute, etc).

Just to understand.... is this the Offset setting in the Driver's Profile? If so, mine is set to "0" because on surface streets, I don't want to drive significantly over the speed limit due to traffic. I only use full Auto Pilot on limited access highways, so the offset speed setting is irrelevant in my case.

That setting is what speed you want a reminder tone...and though it is poorly documented it also controls the speed the cruise control defaults to.

The new limit is for Autopilot use on non-divided highways and other roads deemed secondary. In 7.0, there was no limit to what you could set as the target speed. In 7.1 and 8.0 until now, the limit was 5 mph over. Now it is 0 over(!).

I have to admit I've been shocked today at the percentage of people on this forum that actually go the speed limit. Were you guys clogging the motorway in Priuses before you bought a Tesla?

J/k...but I sure hope you guys stay out of the left lane.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and davidc18
That setting is what speed you want a reminder tone...and though it is poorly documented it also controls the speed the cruise control defaults to.

The new limit is for Autopilot use on non-divided highways and other roads deemed secondary. In 7.0, there was no limit to what you could set as the target speed. In 7.1 and 8.0 until now, the limit was 5 mph over. Now it is 0 over(!).

I have to admit I've been shocked today at the percentage of people on this forum that actually go the speed limit. Were you guys clogging the motorway in Priuses before you bought a Tesla?

J/k...but I sure hope you guys stay out of the left lane.
@u000mem9. Don't conflict setting the speed limit offset at "0" with going the speed limit. For me (and suspect others), I found setting the offset above 5 mph caused the Tesla to try to attain that speed above the posted limit immediately (and for Tesla's that is fast). For example, I found if a winding road was posted at 35mph, and I engaged TACC or Autopilot, the Tesla zoomed to 45mph immediately. Later, after understanding the effect of the settings, I decided "0" was the safest setting for me. That said, I manually adjust the speed on divided highways for the traffic and conditions. If warranted, over the posted limit is fine; however, if I am not confident or comfortable I set to a speed that I would do if drive manually. It is quite simple.... just by raising or lowering the cruise stalk, the set speed will increase or decrease-- one press equals one mph. So it is quite simple to manually change the speed above the posted limit incrementally. I would think Tesla wants the DRIVER to manually adjust the speed beyond certain limits on secondary roads.

The state of AP software is a constant speed setting. Although TACC "sees" and adjust to traffic, it does not adjust to curves, rain, fog, sun glare or construction zones where one might slow due to conditions not associated with traffic. Hopefully, with AP 2.0, they will get there in time, there are a lot more inputs to determine surrounding conditions in 2.0. Maybe in my next Tesla X.

Last edited:
Just to understand.... is this the Offset setting in the Driver's Profile? If so, mine is set to "0" because on surface streets, I don't want to drive significantly over the speed limit due to traffic. I only use full Auto Pilot on limited access highways, so the offset speed setting is irrelevant in my case.

The "offset" has nothing to do with TACC. It simply allows you to change when the car alerts you to exceeding the posted speed limit.

The TACC and Lane Keeping limits (nags) can not be changed by the end user (unless you are WK057 or Ingineer)

Reactions: u00mem9
The "offset" has nothing to do with TACC. It simply allows you to change when the car alerts you to exceeding the posted speed limit.

The TACC and Lane Keeping limits (nags) can not be changed by the end user (unless you are WK057 or Ingineer)

Just FYI, the alert setting is also the default for cruise, even if you have alerts turned off in the settings and the +5 or whatever is grayed out. For example, if you have that setting at +5, and you are in a 55mph zone, and you pull the TACC lever, cruise will set at 60mph. Give it a try. I haven't seen it documented but that is a little hidden feature.

But again, this thread is really about a separate issue with the latest update that wants to cap autopilot use at the speed limit regardless of you set speed (on non divided).

For many of us, the idea of poking along at 55mph is a non starter. You can say "just drive yourself " as some have in another thread...but that isn't acceptable as it works fine on 7.1

Here is the Owners Manual on TACC.... Note: the part that says it will adjust to the speed limit and any OFFSET you have set in your profile. See Page 80: I have verified this several times. That is why I keep the offset at "0".

Cruising at the Speed Limit Traffic-Aware
Cruise Control makes it easy to cruise at the speed limit. Once you've initially
set a cruising speed, you can adjust the speed to cruise at the speed limit that is currently
being determined by Speed Assist (see Speed Assist on page 99). To do so, pull the cruise
control lever toward you and hold momentarily (about half a second). When you
release, your cruising speed is set to the speed that is automatically or manually being
determined by Speed Assist, taking into consideration any offset you have specified.

If you are already driving faster than the speed limit when you pull and momentarily hold the
lever, the set speed does not adjust to the speed limit—it adjusts to your current driving
speed.
Note: When you adjust t

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9