Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair Warning: From "Air Suspension Needs Service" --> Total Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I left a Tesla Service center a couple of months ago after a complete tire swap-out for my MX 90D, I noticed an "Air Suspension Needs Service" warning. But after I made a stop on the way home, the warning disappeared.

Then I saw it again several times, and it rarely stayed on for more than one drive. I looked at it as an irritant more than anything, until recently it displayed continuously and wouldn't reset. Then I noticed that the car was unusually springy when going over uneven road surfaces. A call to Tesla Service suggested there was no real urgency -- that I could bring it in a few weeks later at the next available service appointment at the local SC.

My visit to the Service Center brought me very bad news:
  1. All four air suspension modules had leaks (how do all four fail at the same time?! -- I drive only relatively smooth roads)
  2. The main suspension air pump failed because it was overworked compensating for the leaks.
  3. My car, with 52,000 miles on the odometer, is JUST BARELY out of warranty.
  4. The repair damage: $5,100, give or take.
I feel like I have no choice but to fix it, given the ride of the car is horrible in its current condition.

My only hope is that the first error indications show up in the car's logs (Tesla says they'll look through the logs), since they occurred BEFORE the warranty mileage had passed.

Let this serve as fair warning, though. Take the "Air Suspension Needs Service" warning seriously -- especially if you are nearing the end of your warranty. This is a very expensive repair.

My visit to the Service Center brought me very bad news:
  1. All four air suspension modules had leaks (how do all four fail at the same time?! -- I drive only relatively smooth roads)
  2. The main suspension air pump failed because it was overworked compensating for the leaks.
  3. My car, with 52,000 miles on the odometer, is JUST BARELY out of warranty.
  4. The repair damage: $5,100, give or take.
Sorry to hear about that issue. The many mechanical complexities of the X compared to most cars (Flacon Wings, powered front doors, air suspension) are why I will buy the Tesla extended service warranty just before my X reaches 50K miles.

The many mechanical complexities of the X compared to most cars...are why I will buy the Tesla extended service warranty just before my X reaches 50K miles.

Yes, that was my plan too...but the warranty mileage crept up on me, since 50,000 miles came a lot faster than 4 years did (2.5 years to be exact). Given their connected-car telemetry, I was surprised not to have gotten a notification and offer from Tesla shortly before I hit the warranty wall. Then again, they stand to make a lot of $ from my having neglected it!

By that time, I was over 50,000 miles.

Looks like you are not far past the grace period as well: Extended Service Agreements can be purchased up to 30 days or 1,000 miles / 1,600 km after your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.

Maybe they will grant you an additional extension to purchase the extended warranty if you were under 51,000 miles when you notified Tesla of the error messages.

@BizJet thanks for the heads up. But I keep coming back to the million dollar ($5000) question from your original post: what is the root cause of all four bladders failing at the same time? This is not a scenario that would have a high probability of random occurrence. On the other hand, I can't think of a scenario where a SC mistake could cause this with the possible exception of trying to lift the car without using "jack mode." I'd be curious to hear the SC's opinion on the root cause.

Actually I would EXPECT them to all fail together. After they are all used exactly the same amount. I am thinking it would more unusual for them to fail at wildly different times. In any event I think I would want to replace all of them, unless there was specific damage to one corner.

Actually I would EXPECT them to all fail together. After they are all used exactly the same amount. I am thinking it would more unusual for them to fail at wildly different times. In any event I think I would want to replace all of them, unless there was specific damage to one corner.

Depends on if we think of it as a designed MTBF or if it was a premature failure.

I’d imagine in a premature failure scenario only one would have failed. All four failing a the same time would imply that everyone else can expect the same failure rate around the same mileage and usage scenarios as it would be more likely a design failure.

Good lessons here in not ignoring persistent warnings and making sure any potential faults are addressed within warranty!

It does seem a bit odd that all 4 units were found to be leaking at such a relatively low mileage. They are known to be troublesome (I mean air suspension units in general, not just Tesla) but I would push hard for goodwill on this repair, regardless of the expired warranty. Especially since they told you it wasn't an urgent issue when you eventually reported it.

WOW. I am within a few hundred miles of 50K. Until I read this, I was going to forgo the extended warranty, but I have an early VIN X - which has been great - but have had this nagging feeling there is a big repair in the not too distant future - suspension, falcon wings, dynamic spoiler, MCU, screen, etc. and the fact that it was an early build. I asked at both Dedham and Waltham about the warranty and they both recommended it. Waltham specifically called out the road condition in the area and suspension issues. I agree that the roads are not great in general and I see the OP is from Boston.

WOW. I am within a few hundred miles of 50K. Until I read this, I was going to forgo the extended warranty, but I have an early VIN X - which has been great - but have had this nagging feeling there is a big repair in the not too distant future - suspension, falcon wings, dynamic spoiler, MCU, screen, etc. and the fact that it was an early build. I asked at both Dedham and Waltham about the warranty and they both recommended it. Waltham specifically called out the road condition in the area and suspension issues. I agree that the roads are not great in general and I see the OP is from Boston.

FWIW I would consider the extended warranty a no-brainer on a car like the X! It will pay for itself very quickly if anything does go wrong and there is plenty of potential for that!