Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairfax County property tax appeal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Jalopnik review today included the sticker for the P85D in the comments section, and it lists the base price as $69,900, essentially making the car a 85 with the "P" and "D" being options. Has anyone here had any discussions with VA property tax people for the D and what they're assessing it at? If they're actually going by base price, the sticker is pretty clear:

ye2fJC5.jpg

The Jalopnik review today included the sticker for the P85D in the comments section, and it lists the base price as $69,900, essentially making the car a 85 with the "P" and "D" being options. Has anyone here had any discussions with VA property tax people for the D and what they're assessing it at? If they're actually going by base price, the sticker is pretty clear:

ye2fJC5.jpg

I mentioned it in my letter to them, they ignored it ultimately. I do think the whole situation requires a coordinated approach as they still don't really get it.

Looks like the 100% raise didn't go through yet -- recommend they give the board members the same pay raise rate that the teachers get.

A message from FAIRFAX COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Sent on behalf of School Board Chairman Tamara Derenak Kaufax:

The Fairfax County School Board has scheduled a public hearing on April 9, 2015, to solicit public input on the topic of the amount of the annual salary paid to School Board members. The Board is scheduled to take action on the topic later that evening on April 9 at its regular business meeting.

The Code of Virginia requires that any change in the salary of School Board members must be approved by the School Board prior to July 1 in the year in which there is a School Board election and by a recorded vote of a majority of the School Board members present at a public meeting. Such change affects the salary only of these School Board members elected in the new election (for example, the election is scheduled in November 2015, and those elected will take office effective January 1, 2016). A sitting school board cannot raise the salary for its own incumbent members and, therefore, the salary increases being proposed are for the next School Board (2016-2019 term) and not the current School Board (2012-2015 term). Salaries for School Board members were last increased in 2007 from $12,000 to $20,000 per year, and prior to that in 1999 from $8,000 to $12,000 per year. If a salary increase is not approved by this School Board by June 30, 2015, the next opportunity would be in 2019, in accordance with the Code of Virginia.

Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is the 10th largest school district by student population in the nation, and with over 188,000 students is the largest school district in Virginia, being more than twice as large as the next largest Virginia district. The School Board oversees an annual operating budget of more than $2.5 billion, a five-year capital budget of $856 million, and serves over 1.1 million constituents.

Fairfax County School Board members set general school policy, approve the annual budget, and hire the Division Superintendent. Board members spend many hours throughout the year (weekdays, weekends, days, and evenings) attending Board, school, PTA, and community meetings, visiting schools, reviewing meeting materials in preparation for Board meetings, attending required professional development programs, and communicating with students, parents, staff, and community members. Board members deal with a breadth and complexity of issues at the constituent, school, local, state, and federal levels.

The public hearing regarding School Board members' annual salary is scheduled on Thursday, April 9, at Jackson Middle School, 3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church, at 5:30 p.m. To sign up to speak at the public hearing, please click here:
http://www.fcps.edu/schlbd/meetings/requestspeak-online-ph.shtml The speakers' list will close in any event on Wednesday, April 8, at 4:30 p.m.

Just got my tax bill for 2015, value assesssed at $71,300. car was received (new) 12/8/14, registered 1/22/15, listed as a 2014. Shouldnt the value be $69,900 or less based on the window sticker? im sure we'll have more people questioning the valuations as these are rolling in this week.

Just got my tax bill for 2015, value assesssed at $71,300. car was received (new) 12/8/14, registered 1/22/15, listed as a 2014. Shouldnt the value be $69,900 or less based on the window sticker? im sure we'll have more people questioning the valuations as these are rolling in this week.

I just got mine, 2013 P85+ assessed at $88k for 2015, unbelievable.... We need to go as a group to fairfax, They advised me last year it would be high this year, but this is just insane.

So I heard back, it's better for 2014 than 2015, believe it or not. As follows this is what I received:

'The $95,000 assessed value for tax year 2014 was obtained from the 2014 Edition of the Black Book CPI (Cars of Particular Interest). However, the value used was not as of January 1, 2014. Therefore, because the average trade-in value as of January 1, 2014 was not available, we are changing the assessment for your vehicle based on 90% of MSRP in order to remain uniform in our assessment methodology. We use 95% for first year models and 90% for second year models. NADA is showing that the MSRP based on the VIN pattern of your Model S Performance Tesla vehicle is $84,900, so we are reducing the assessment amount from $95,000 to $76,410. .

Please note however that this change is being done simply out of concern for uniformity. While this complies with our statutory mandate, it is evident from the year-to-date information that this is in actuality giving you a below market break for tax year 2014. NADA’s market information indicates a 4th quarter value for 2014 of $93,500. As of January 1, 2015, the Black Book pricing guide reflects an average trade-in value of $88,100. This value will be used as the basis for your 2015 assessment. It does not reflect value appreciation over the 2014 assessment, but rather that the uniform methodology appears to have understated the market value in the first year to your benefit.'

So looks like I'll get s##%##% this year.

This is what they told me for last year and they basically followed the rule as explained. Consistent but just plain overvalued.

$71k for ~10 months though, not all year, right?

I have yet to receive mine, but this year shouldn't be bad... only got the car in June.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got mine, 2013 P85+ assessed at $88k for 2015, unbelievable.... We need to go as a group to fairfax, They advised me last year it would be high this year, but this is just insane.

Isn't that what a used P85+ goes for nowadays?

the tax is prorated on 11 months, the assessed value is what the tax works off of. So the assessed value is not dependent on the time. Either way, unless im understanding wrong, FFX bases the property tax on the value of the BASE MODEL WITH NO OPTIONS, which for my car was $69,9k so that should be the maximum assessed value one would think..... it seems they are just making all sorts of numbers up based on what ive read from the past posts on this thread.

$71k for ~10 months though, not all year, right?

I have yet to receive mine, but this year shouldn't be bad... only got the car in June.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that what a used P85+ goes for nowadays?

If I could get 88k for a 2013 not AP p85+ with 23k miles I'd be happy, tax assessments are always supposed to be on base product(no option models and then a % off KBB) they are treating Tesla drivers differently, this is the problem.

the tax is prorated on 11 months, the assessed value is what the tax works off of. So the assessed value is not dependent on the time. Either way, unless im understanding wrong, FFX bases the property tax on the value of the BASE MODEL WITH NO OPTIONS, which for my car was $69,9k so that should be the maximum assessed value one would think..... it seems they are just making all sorts of numbers up based on what ive read from the past posts on this thread.

I remember reading about the base model with no options too... But I thought I read somewhere in this thread that due to the VIN number the 85kwh battery isn't an option, it's a type of car according to FFX DTA. So your base price should be $79,900.

Here ya go, straight from the director: Fairfax County property tax appeal - Page 5

If I could get 88k for a 2013 not AP p85+ with 23k miles I'd be happy, tax assessments are always supposed to be on base product(no option models and then a % off KBB) they are treating Tesla drivers differently, this is the problem.

Tesla is selling used CPO P85+'s with about 1/2 your mileage for about 88k. But you're right, as a private sale you'd be taking a hit.

I guess I'll get my bill in the coming days... if I'm not billed for my few months at an assessed value of 75k (base 70D), I'll complain. Might also complain next year due to higher than average mileage driving.

Hmm... didn't get the bill today, though got my wife's car and my sold car. Not showing up online either, don't think they added me yet...

Last edited:
I bought my 2014 P85+ loaded with every option for $75K in March - private party sale... not sure how FFX is making this stuff up?? I don't get it..

I'm up for paying a visit to DTA. We should give channel 7 on your side a call as well - I bet a lot of people - not just Teslas are getting screwed and don't even know it. The demand going up is BS too - snap a photo of the 60 used Model S's sitting over at the Tysons SC... that crap as well.

I bought my 2014 P85+ loaded with every option for $75K in March - private party sale... not sure how FFX is making this stuff up?? I don't get it..

I'm up for paying a visit to DTA. We should give channel 7 on your side a call as well - I bet a lot of people - not just Teslas are getting screwed and don't even know it. The demand going up is BS too - snap a photo of the 60 used Model S's sitting over at the Tysons SC... that crap as well.

Im not sure how much leg i have to stand on since mine is brand new, but if i can help, let me know.