Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairing Recovery and Reuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way this will work. Until they do it, and doubters eat crow!

Also, while they are at it, wouldn’t it make sense to have the net over the whole ship (namely the business end where the humans hang out)? Lots of pointy bits to damage there, including the squishy humans.
I get that the fairing would not destroy major structural elements (it is probably quite light relative to its size), but still...

Finally, would a giant net like this affect the ship's behavior in high winds?

That's been my expectation all along. Make them water resistant and just worry about a soft touchdown. I remain highly doubtful about catching them in mid air. Maybe one in 50, but that's not very useful.

If the fairings cost $5 million a pair, and you catch one half 1 out of 50 times, then it is still profitable if the cost per attempt is less than $50k.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
still think a bunch of swarmed drones with a net betweeen them is the way to do this.
Vastly more agile than a ship, and if Elon is saying a soft landing then no great impact force on the net.

The images of Elon with a game console controller (as TBC) flying the net to catch the fairing could be hilarious .