Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairing Recovery and Reuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It landed in the ocean nearby and Ms. Tree picked it up. It was not supposed to get caught. Only one fairing was planned to be caught. Now that it has been done and they have a decent idea of how to do it, then SpaceX will compare the differences between the two and decide whether to get another ship to catch the second fairing.
Thank you for the information.
- Do you think SpaceX/Go will have boats both in the Pacific and the Atlantic, so a total of four boats?
- I read that Ms.Tree ("Mystery") got a third set of arms and net?
Do you know if the the second set was damaged, or it it was replaced by a smaller or a larger set?

Thank you for the information.
- Do you think SpaceX/Go will have boats both in the Pacific and the Atlantic, so a total of four boats?
- I read that Ms.Tree ("Mystery") got a third set of arms and net?
Do you know if the the second set was damaged, or it it was replaced by a smaller or a larger set?

Second set was presumably damaged in rough water. Ship returned to port back in February from an attempted catch with only 2 arms.

SpaceXFleet Updates on Twitter

My son is the guy who gets the fairing half out of the ocean. He was out on Go Searcher. They were 5 days out and haven't got in yet, but I understand that everything went as planned. Go Searcher is the ship designed for recovery of the Dragon Crew Capsule but it has been doing fairing recovery too. M.Tree caught one in the net ant Go Searcher retrieved the one in the ocean.

My son is the guy who gets the fairing half out of the ocean. He was out on Go Searcher. They were 5 days out and haven't got in yet, but I understand that everything went as planned. Go Searcher is the ship designed for recovery of the Dragon Crew Capsule but it has been doing fairing recovery too. M.Tree caught one in the net ant Go Searcher retrieved the one in the ocean.
Cool.

How do they know so accurately where will the fairing drift and fall? Unlike propulsive landing, with wind and so many parameters, the thing could land several miles away.

I wonder if the fairing parachute is controlled autonomously or if it has a fly by wire human pilot?

Is Ms Tree autonomous?

If yes to both, what an elegant and awesome software system!
My understanding is the fairing is self guided and the recovery ship is too when the fairing is in range (fairing feeds projected landing point based on trajectory and may attempt to steer toward ship)

Reactions: Grendal
SpaceX just acquired Ms. Tree's sister ship renamed Ms. Chief! Now they'll be capturing both fairing halves.
68745336_10158771518105760_9080926848027721728_n.jpg