Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairly aggressive braking while using AP around town.

iansherwood74

Jan 22, 2021
Winter Garden, Florida
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I've been having with my MY. Maybe there is a setting that some of you have noticed helps this issue. When I drive with AP on and approach a stop sign or red light, with cars in front of me (I don't have FSD) I notice that sometimes the car brakes too sharply. Like much harder than normal regenerative braking would brake. I drove a loaner MS recently around town and I noticed it was much more smooth at braking for the same scenarios. That got me wondering if maybe I am missing a setting or something. Any ideas? I usually have the car length spacing set to around 3-5, and I don't notice much difference when I change the trail distance much. Is there anything else in the AP menu that might help with this? I'm new to using AP (on cars anyway!) and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: PearlShark

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I've been having with my MY. Maybe there is a setting that some of you have noticed helps this issue. When I drive with AP on and approach a stop sign or red light, with cars in front of me (I don't have FSD) I notice that sometimes the car brakes too sharply. Like much harder than normal regenerative braking would brake. I drove a loaner MS recently around town and I noticed it was much more smooth at braking for the same scenarios. That got me wondering if maybe I am missing a setting or something. Any ideas? I usually have the car length spacing set to around 3-5, and I don't notice much difference when I change the trail distance much. Is there anything else in the AP menu that might help with this? I'm new to using AP (on cars anyway!) and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks in advance!

My 3 behaves similarly. It tends to wait too long to brake, then brake too hard. I’ll often disengage AP when approaching slow or stopped traffic for smoother stops.

Automobilist

Feb 18, 2021
Orange County, CA
If I’m understanding your post correctly you are talking about braking behind stopped cars with just autosteer engaged (without FSD).

Technically you’re not really supposed to be using autosteer on city streets. As far as the car is concerned its probably behaving as though it’s braking behind completely stopped traffic on the highway, which is probably why the stopping behavior feels less than ideal for city driving.

babbit

Jul 2, 2020
Los Angeles
What I do is set the follow distance to 4-5. If it is still braking to aggressively, I basically scroll down on the right thumb wheel to reduce the set speed as I’m approaching traffic. I then scroll it back up to my desired speed once the car stops. I find the car brakes less aggressively the slower you set the speed.

iansherwood74

Jan 22, 2021
Winter Garden, Florida
If I’m understanding your post correctly you are talking about braking behind stopped cars with just autosteer engaged (without FSD).

Technically you’re not really supposed to be using autosteer on city streets. As far as the car is concerned its probably behaving as though it’s braking behind completely stopped traffic on the highway, which is probably why the stopping behavior feels less than ideal for city driving.
Awwwwww! I think I see what you are saying. The MS I drove did have FSD so maybe that's why it was better stopping behind other cars around town. OK thanks, yes that is correct. I'm driving on a 2 lane dual carriageway at 45MPH around town. I approach a red light or stop sign with a line up and about half of the time it really gets on the brakes hard. It's not emergency braking, but it's more aggressive that regen braking with my foot 100% off of the gas. My regen braking is set to full / hold.

iansherwood74

Jan 22, 2021
Winter Garden, Florida
What I do is set the follow distance to 4-5. If it is still braking to aggressively, I basically scroll down on the right thumb wheel to reduce the set speed as I’m approaching traffic. I then scroll it back up to my desired speed once the car stops. I find the car brakes less aggressively the slower you set the speed.
Thank you so much for that. I'm going to try that technique some more and hope to have success. Thanks for sharing!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC