Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairly aggressive braking while using AP around town.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I've been having with my MY. Maybe there is a setting that some of you have noticed helps this issue. When I drive with AP on and approach a stop sign or red light, with cars in front of me (I don't have FSD) I notice that sometimes the car brakes too sharply. Like much harder than normal regenerative braking would brake. I drove a loaner MS recently around town and I noticed it was much more smooth at braking for the same scenarios. That got me wondering if maybe I am missing a setting or something. Any ideas? I usually have the car length spacing set to around 3-5, and I don't notice much difference when I change the trail distance much. Is there anything else in the AP menu that might help with this? I'm new to using AP (on cars anyway!) and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: PearlShark
Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with an issue I've been having with my MY. Maybe there is a setting that some of you have noticed helps this issue. When I drive with AP on and approach a stop sign or red light, with cars in front of me (I don't have FSD) I notice that sometimes the car brakes too sharply. Like much harder than normal regenerative braking would brake. I drove a loaner MS recently around town and I noticed it was much more smooth at braking for the same scenarios. That got me wondering if maybe I am missing a setting or something. Any ideas? I usually have the car length spacing set to around 3-5, and I don't notice much difference when I change the trail distance much. Is there anything else in the AP menu that might help with this? I'm new to using AP (on cars anyway!) and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. Thanks in advance!

My 3 behaves similarly. It tends to wait too long to brake, then brake too hard. I’ll often disengage AP when approaching slow or stopped traffic for smoother stops.

If I’m understanding your post correctly you are talking about braking behind stopped cars with just autosteer engaged (without FSD).

Technically you’re not really supposed to be using autosteer on city streets. As far as the car is concerned its probably behaving as though it’s braking behind completely stopped traffic on the highway, which is probably why the stopping behavior feels less than ideal for city driving.

What I do is set the follow distance to 4-5. If it is still braking to aggressively, I basically scroll down on the right thumb wheel to reduce the set speed as I’m approaching traffic. I then scroll it back up to my desired speed once the car stops. I find the car brakes less aggressively the slower you set the speed.

If I’m understanding your post correctly you are talking about braking behind stopped cars with just autosteer engaged (without FSD).

Technically you’re not really supposed to be using autosteer on city streets. As far as the car is concerned its probably behaving as though it’s braking behind completely stopped traffic on the highway, which is probably why the stopping behavior feels less than ideal for city driving.
Awwwwww! I think I see what you are saying. The MS I drove did have FSD so maybe that's why it was better stopping behind other cars around town. OK thanks, yes that is correct. I'm driving on a 2 lane dual carriageway at 45MPH around town. I approach a red light or stop sign with a line up and about half of the time it really gets on the brakes hard. It's not emergency braking, but it's more aggressive that regen braking with my foot 100% off of the gas. My regen braking is set to full / hold.

What I do is set the follow distance to 4-5. If it is still braking to aggressively, I basically scroll down on the right thumb wheel to reduce the set speed as I’m approaching traffic. I then scroll it back up to my desired speed once the car stops. I find the car brakes less aggressively the slower you set the speed.
Thank you so much for that. I'm going to try that technique some more and hope to have success. Thanks for sharing!

I’m noticing the same aggressive braking on city streets. The car waits too long and then brakes too hard. It used to be much better. I’ve had my Model 3 for four years with the FSD package. This behavior has definitely gotten noticeably worse over time. Perhaps the car is learning poor driving behavior from the fleet?

I’m noticing the same aggressive braking on city streets. The car waits too long and then brakes too hard. It used to be much better. I’ve had my Model 3 for four years with the FSD package. This behavior has definitely gotten noticeably worse over time. Perhaps the car is learning poor driving behavior from the fleet?
FSD is quite good for keeping the car center in middle of a lane, especially in curvy roads.
But FSD don't seems to be able to modulate speed depending of the situation.

For example, when I can see a little far away a red traffic light,
I like to start to decelerate and cruise a little bit.

But FSD keeps going going at the posted speed limit untill braking hard
when approaching the red traffic light, like a beginner car driver would do.

Idem when approaching a curve.

So, when using FSD, especially in city driving,
I constanly adjust the speed manualy using the knob on the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54