Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake grill decal Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
I‘be been considering getting a fake grill.
I like the thin one resembling the S’ grill, similar to but not necessarily the one shown below
Quick web searching shows many merchants, and styles.
Has anyone found a good quality fake grill, from a reputable merchant they’d recommend?
Thanks

AF7E079F-B88C-4AD8-9C44-8DE276DB4A0B.jpeg

There are a couple of firms out there that do these. I think to be any good they need to 3m or similar grade materials. There needs to be no reflective material in them as it possibly effects the radar sensor. It's a pity they are totally flat so up close they are obviously a big sticker. However from a few feet they are quite convincing. They do at least protect one of the most vulnerable stone chip areas at a modest cost. I plan on trying one but still researching.

Getting it lined up was a lot harder than I thought, and I know it’s not perfectly straight, but it’s cheaper than buying an S, and if I hate it, I’ll just remove it
3F5A7642-3FFA-4227-8196-E23FD7D0BDB7.jpeg
there are many styles, but this one most closely resembles the S grill

Reactions: CheapBastid
While they are many vendors, I found this one and am pleased with the quality.
There are eight options

06E4DFE3-3D46-4E4B-AF5A-FE3475C44DB6.jpeg

Took me a while to figure this out (Reminded me “Find the difference” - Highlights magazines, in the doctor’s waiting room)
In the left column, the black has a lattice design, (which is more realistic looking) on the right, it’s solid.
The ”V”, on the top two in each column, is narrower, which, I believe was the look of the older S body. I wanted the wider “V”, to resemble the 2021 S.
The real S has a T logo on the grill, but since the 3’s frunk has a chrome T near the bottom I thought it would look ridiculous (having two logos). You can get the T on the fake grill for more realism from some vendors.
Finally, each pair (for example, O and Q) differs by the chrome trim. The chrome on the first of the pairing is all around, the second of the pairing only has the chrome on the bottom. From looking at photos of the S, the grill, which is three feet off the ground, appears below the eye level of most viewers. As such viewer is looking down and won’t see the top chrome as prominently as they would for the bottom chrome. I believe Q was the most visually accurate.
Then again, it’s only $99, so it won’t be my first, nor worst, stupid financial decision

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m definitely not a fan of any of the front grille decals. There are a few that don’t look too terrible... at least on paper, like the one shown below. However, when I’ve seen a few of these in the wild, they always look worse in person.
Hard pass for me. But, if you like them and want to be a little different, then I say go for it! 👍

1684464834179.jpeg

Yeah, I’m definitely not a fan of any of the front grille decals. There are a few that don’t look too terrible... at least on paper, like the one shown below. However, when I’ve seen a few of these in the wild, they always look worse in person.
Hard pass for me. But, if you like them and want to be a little different, then I say go for it! 👍

View attachment 939066
I would say at least the ones with the original Tesla logo removed from the hood looks better. It looks odd when there is a Tesla logo on the hood also.

Cars, for about the last 80 years have had “faces”, some funny and goofy (vw bug), some mean and menacing (Dodge Charger), but it added a bit of levity to the roads. Without a grill, the car’s “empty billboard” makes the face look like a cyborg (and a goofy one, especially the Y), or like whales

Until there are tons of grillless EVs on the roads, rendering cars “faces“ (and personalities) relics of a bygone era, I’m okay with my 3’s mock S fake grill. (A pencil thin mustache)
1684482519521.jpeg

Tesla is all about making driving fun, so why not?

Reactions: 804son