Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake leather: like or hate it?

What your thoughts about Tesla fake leather?

• I like it

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • I don't like it

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • I can't stand it

Votes: 6 8.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seat ergonomics and design are far more important than if the material is leather. I really disliked the first Tesla seats because they were not very ergonomic but the current seats are awesome. If anyone still disagrees, take a current Tesla on a test drive. You will love the look and feel of the seats!

Unfortunate for me and for my body, Tesla driver seat is plain horrible. I feel the metal bar/stick that goes across the bottom cushion and that is actually painful to drive.

Driver seat: metal bar in the middle is pushing after just 1 month

Umm, no... Even low-to-mid-tier furniture has leather seating surfaces, and I'm certain vehicles under 100K did as well when I was shopping around before purchasing my X. You may have to spend $125K to get a vehicle where the dash, bolsters, console, etc. are real leather, but the seating surfaces are still leather in anything decent.
Leather-ish. ;) There's stuff that's partially leather, like split leather and other stuff, as well as full on synthetic.

Are your car seats actual leather?

I'm having a hard time following here, you ended up agreeing with me?
Vented = holes in material
Ventilated = Vented + fan for airflow through holes in material
Cooled = Ventilated + actual cold air source for airflow through holes in material

Vented is always worse than solid in my experience.
Ventilated might theoretically be able to be better than solid with enough flow, but is worse in 2016 Signature X.
Cooled is certainly better than solid.

Vented = holes in material
Ventilated = Vented + fan for airflow through holes in material
Cooled = Ventilated + actual cold air source for airflow through holes in material

Vented is always worse than solid in my experience.
Ventilated might theoretically be able to be better than solid with enough flow, but is worse in 2016 Signature X.
Cooled is certainly better than solid.
In your terminology, I was talking about "cooled". Chilled airflow to get rid of the heat from the area. Not perforated surface material, I mean what's that going to do when the battery is heating your ass? :p

EDIT: Also had in mind a version that works, rather than the one that Tesla has had occasionally available on some variants that it sounds like does a poor job of even circulating the air.

In your terminology, I was talking about "cooled". Chilled airflow to get rid of the heat from the area. Not perforated surface material, I mean what's that going to do when the battery is heating your ass? :p
"My terminology" is properly used by automotive manufacturers, but not most 3rd party sites and owners. However, it is technically necessary in order to know what you are getting when you purchase a vehicle, because all of those functionalities actually exist in stock vehicles. So, yes, I agree with what you meant, but no, I don't agree with what you said (vented is better than solid).

ETA: Also, I didn't comment on the battery heat vs the seat because I don't know how much of a difference it makes. In my experience, the car and seats are pretty cold in the winter if driving without heat and heated seats even when preconditioning is used to warm cabin and battery prior to trip.

However, it is technically necessary in order to know what you are getting when you purchase a vehicle
1) One would hope not so much when reading a post that provides other indication otherwise.
2) I've not found any "vented seat" differentiation? Still seems like your own distinction there. :( Actual word seems to be "perforated".
3) Why/how you'd manage not to circulate cabin air, that is cooled as per your OP, is kinda lost on me.

1) One would hope not so much when reading a post that provides other indication otherwise.
2) I've not found any "vented seat" differentiation? Still seems like your own distinction there. :( Actual word seems to be "perforated".
3) Why/how you'd manage not to circulate cabin air, that is cooled as per your OP, is kinda lost on me.
1) I clearly missed the indication that would make it obvious you meant cooled seats.
2) Perforated is a common and accurate term, and so is vented. Vented means there are holes that allow airflow. Ventilated means there is forced airflow. Moreover, if my memory serves me correctly:
  • A 1994 Monte Carlo window sticker will read "Vented Seats" if the seats are perforated (they don't have a fan)
  • A 2016 Model X Signature window sticker will read "Ventilated Seats" if the seats are perforated and have fans (the same was true of several luxury tier vehicles when I was shopping for my last vehicle)
  • A 2006 M45 window sticker will read "Cooled Seats" if it has the appropriate package (seats have a direct cool air source)
3) For starters, I'm not OP. However, I think we are miscommunicating here, too. See additional clarification:

When I say cooled seats, I mean there is a direct cooling effect provided to the seats. In the 2006 M45, it is a peltier element in the seat with a fan blowing over it, and it will only cool your butt and the lower portion of your back. In a 2012 Cadillac CTS it about has to be direct ducting from the A/C, because those cooled seats are awesome and cool everything. However, the A/C in the cabin of an X can not reach under the seat at a cold enough temperature to do any good when it is even remotely warm outside (see my many comments in Miraculous air conditioning). This isn't just theory, either, I did actually drive a 2016 P90D Signature several hundred miles last summer; the A/C was set at 66 or 68 and the ultra white ventilated seat was set at 3 (highest setting). The seat was hot and miserable, it was more hot and miserable than the ultra white solid seat in my 2017 100D has been at any point this summer including hotter temperatures closer to the equator.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Hate them. My 2013 Model S had the tan leather seats and they were like new after 5 years and 100,000 miles. My new X has the black "fake leather" and they are not nearly as nice IMHO. Oddly, every little thing seems to stain them. I'm not talking about the known sunscreen stains... just drops of water leave white marks that I have to scrub out. Plus they feel "plasticy" compared to the leather. Oh well, my first car had vinyl seats and I guess so does my current one.

This was just posted in another thread regarding Model X ventilated seats:
The ventilated seats down blow, they suck air in (similar to Audi’s approach) to wick moister away.

But yes, they are only slightly felt on the high 3 setting at best. 1-2 feel like nothing.
It explains why I don't feel cooled when they are on, but quite frankly, they were worthless regardless of the intent of the design.

Personally, I hate synthetic leather because it doesn't transfer heat away the way real leather does. My number one preference would be real leather, number two would be cloth. The ultra white is pretty and cleans easy, but I'd prefer function over form.
No, this is a problem that has always existed in all vehicles with synthetic leather seats. My X has ultra white interior without vented seats, and I have driven signature series Model X with ultra white seats with perforation and ventilation. The ventilated seats in the 2016 signature series are actually worse even with the fan on because you simply end up with less surface area to absorb/transfer heat and don't get that much airflow. Vented and ventilated seats suck in every experience I have had with them. Cooled seats (peltier element with some air flow) are better than unventilated seats, but properly cooled seats (A/C source and major air flow) are awesome.
Umm, no... Even low-to-mid-tier furniture has leather seating surfaces, and I'm certain vehicles under 100K did as well when I was shopping around before purchasing my X. You may have to spend $125K to get a vehicle where the dash, bolsters, console, etc. are real leather, but the seating surfaces are still leather in anything decent.

BMW and Mercedes have been shipping synthetic leather on their cars for years now, as standard equipment.

Teslas are not "luxury" vehicles. Their high cost is not for luxury. It's for technology.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
mercedes' MB Tex is really good, looks a lot like the real thing with the pebbled leather grain. they've always offered a leather upgrade though. and i wish tesla would continue to offer it for those that want it, but i can see why they don't for green reasons and to streamline ordering/production.

Reactions: spectrum
Did you read any of those articles? The first one only says "some models" when of course the base models of the lower end are going to have pleather seats. The second one specifically says the seating surfaces are leather as I stated upthread. The third one indicated that there is a pleather option on some vehicles. The fourth one indicated that some small percentage of people stuck with the base pleather option in their MB and BMW while most upgraded to leather. I didn't say they don't come with pleather, or that they do all come with leather. I said "but the seating surfaces are still leather in anything decent." I stand by that statement and would argue that base model MB/BMW cars with pleather seats are probably not "decent" IMO. However, my main point was that pleather sucks. Some people may be fine with it, but for people who don't like it in the Tesla (myself included), odds are they wouldn't like it in the MB or BMW, either. I also never said Tesla is a luxury vehicle, and you will see me point out that it is only a premium vehicle in other threads. However, my second, third, and fourth to-last vehicles were all only premium (not luxury) brands, and they were all flagships of their brands, and they all had leather seating surfaces.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum