Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake News Hurting Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's best friend jumped on the reservation bandwagon 3 years ago on day one. Not necessarily a person very knowledgeable about cars - just wanted to be in on the next big thing and maybe had friends/family encouraging her to get in on it.

We did not make a reservation but kind of were regretting it through 2017, and even vacillating early 2018. Every so often we'd check in with our friend about her reservation and whether she'd heard anything.

Fast-forward to 2018 - Consumer Reports writes a report on the braking distance issue. We check in with her, and she no longer wants the car. "Elon's crazy. Tesla's going bankrupt. The car isn't that great, has all sorts of problems. Look at this report about the brakes!"

I told my wife her friend has no idea what she's talking about and that we should go ahead and place a reservation because this will be the car for us and that she'll love it. "Oh, so I should listen to you over someone who actually HAS a reservation and has been following all of this?!"

The remainder of the story is self-explanatory, but I do think the negative press and fake news scares a lot of people away, just like our naive friend.

Reactions: Arpe and Pkmmte
My wife's best friend jumped on the reservation bandwagon 3 years ago on day one. Not necessarily a person very knowledgeable about cars - just wanted to be in on the next big thing and maybe had friends/family encouraging her to get in on it.

We did not make a reservation but kind of were regretting it through 2017, and even vacillating early 2018. Every so often we'd check in with our friend about her reservation and whether she'd heard anything.

Fast-forward to 2018 - Consumer Reports writes a report on the braking distance issue. We check in with her, and she no longer wants the car. "Elon's crazy. Tesla's going bankrupt. The car isn't that great, has all sorts of problems. Look at this report about the brakes!"

I told my wife her friend has no idea what she's talking about and that we should go ahead and place a reservation because this will be the car for us and that she'll love it. "Oh, so I should listen to you over someone who actually HAS a reservation and has been following all of this?!"

The remainder of the story is self-explanatory, but I do think the negative press and fake news scares a lot of people away, just like our naive friend.
Is said friend enjoying her Ford Fusion?

I hope you destroyed her life! She should be living in personal hell!

I think Tesla is hurting themselves as much as the fake news. Tesla needs to sort themselves out, clarify there policy and messaging. Having news trickle out in blog posts and twitter is not a platform. It just creates chaos and confusion, it just adds fuel to the fake news fire. Tesla has hurt themselves more in the last couple weeks more than the fake news. Only Tesla would piss off their most loyal supporters in the run up to a new reveal.

I think Tesla is hurting themselves as much as the fake news. Tesla needs to sort themselves out, clarify there policy and messaging. Having news trickle out in blog posts and twitter is not a platform. It just creates chaos and confusion, it just adds fuel to the fake news fire. Tesla has hurt themselves more in the last couple weeks more than the fake news. Only Tesla would piss off their most loyal supporters in the run up to a new reveal.

Undoubtedly true. There is a great deal of disorganization and the main/only PR person is Elon himself. I don't know how big Tesla's marketing team is, but they can definitely stand to improve and streamline their messaging. It has been low-priority due to the cost considerations, but now that they're hoping to sell to the masses, they need to rely less on their customers being well-informed people.

Maybe there will be marketing opportunities for some of the store employees affected by closures...

Reactions: ord3r
There is another elephant in the room, one not addressed in the article...

And that is the politics. Tesla is a 100% AMERICAN car company, and as such should be celebrated as a prime example of American innovation and hard work. Literally the rebirth of the American auto industry, which was all but dead several years ago.

The problem? It's associated with Silicon Valley. It's associated with liberals and liberal causes. It's associated with California. It shouldn't be, but unfortunately that's a mental hurdle for a lot of people. These factors are of course exploited by the large companies and industries being disrupted.

It's associated with liberals and liberal causes.
It is unfortunate and I am a conservative, just happen to love Tesla's
On the plus side if I'm traveling through Portland when protests are going on I should be able to just roll down my windows and yell "F N Rebulicans" and they will just wave me through, haha!

There is another elephant in the room, one not addressed in the article...

And that is the politics. Tesla is a 100% AMERICAN car company, and as such should be celebrated as a prime example of American innovation and hard work. Literally the rebirth of the American auto industry, which was all but dead several years ago.

The problem? It's associated with Silicon Valley. It's associated with liberals and liberal causes. It's associated with California. It shouldn't be, but unfortunately that's a mental hurdle for a lot of people. These factors are of course exploited by the large companies and industries being disrupted.
On an unrelated note I noticed your handle @woodisgood and had a good laugh at "its Walnut Beech" I used to build custom cabinets back in the day and its how I got started in the Construction business, I used to have the email "[email protected]" Had to sift through a lot of offers for lets just say "adult oriented" items just to retrieve my emails, haha!

They are terrible at communications for sure.

On an unrelated note I noticed your handle @woodisgood and had a good laugh at "its Walnut Beech" I used to build custom cabinets back in the day and its how I got started in the Construction business, I used to have the email "[email protected]" Had to sift through a lot of offers for lets just say "adult oriented" items just to retrieve my emails, haha!

:cool:

Much respect for old school cab makers! The game has changed indeed. Seems like it's pretty hard to succeed as a small/one-man shop in today's market.

Just a serious hobby for me - enough projects for myself and family that I can get the satisfaction without having clients.

Reactions: gilscales
:cool:

Much respect for old school cab makers! The game has changed indeed. Seems like it's pretty hard to succeed as a small/one-man shop in today's market.

Just a serious hobby for me - enough projects for myself and family that I can get the satisfaction without having clients.
I had to transition out of that field many years ago, I am a general contractor now and my business model is flipping my own homes, wife is a Realtor for over 30 years so between the two of us we have it covered, best thing is not dealing with unreasonable clients!

Reactions: woodisgood