Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fake "Tesla Model S OEM" spoilers on ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't say with 100% certainty but I suspect there are multiple accounts being used. The Tesla rep mentioned that the real ones have Tesla barcode sticker and are solid construction. The one I received did not have a barcode and it was hollow underneath. The Tesla rep's safety concern was the possibility of it tearing off at high speed due to wind drag caused by the hollow section.

CORRECTION: the sticker has a part number and not barcode as stated above.

Last edited:
spoiler.jpg

Here is the photo of the bottom. You can see that there is open area in between the red double sided tape shown.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a photo of the real one for comparison
IMG_1162.jpg

Gicho,

Have you filed a complaint with eBay? Don't they have buyers protection, especially if bought through Paypal? If it was listed as OEM, and is not, then you could likely file a complaint with eBay, and they would likely take action (most likely change the description.)

I was worried there for a moment. the one I purchased on ebay looks like the OEM rather than the hollow one...nearly exactly. I have put in a request for more information from my seller to see where he/she got it. I would definitely file a complaint with ebay if you haven't already.

Yes I was able to get a refund after filing a complaint but the seller(s) has not updated the description. That is the reason I felt compelled to post here.

Gicho,

Have you filed a complaint with eBay? Don't they have buyers protection, especially if bought through Paypal? If it was listed as OEM, and is not, then you could likely file a complaint with eBay, and they would likely take action (most likely change the description.)

From what I can see in the pictures, and assuming the adhesive is the same, I would not hesitate for a moment to buy the "fake" one if it was priced cheaper than the OEM one. I have a feeling the "safety" concern is just their way of saying they're upset you didn't buy it from them.

That said, I don't think it's right to advertise something as OEM if it is not, they should be advertising it as a pattern or replica part, and I would be pissed if I paid for "OEM" and got something that wasn't.

I was one of those suckers.....received the spoiler and it didn't look like what I remembered from pictures and seeing it at the Tesla service center. There was no sticker inside and like mentioned earlier, more hollow inside. I contacted the seller and he said the sticker was taken off but I can send it back for a return if I like. Also stated OEM in his ad. I mean it's 1/3 of the price and you get what you pay for.

From what I can see in the pictures, and assuming the adhesive is the same, I would not hesitate for a moment to buy the "fake" one if it was priced cheaper than the OEM one. I have a feeling the "safety" concern is just their way of saying they're upset you didn't buy it from them.

That said, I don't think it's right to advertise something as OEM if it is not, they should be advertising it as a pattern or replica part, and I would be pissed if I paid for "OEM" and got something that wasn't.

I +1 this

Yeah I got one too. Then I noticed he has lots of these. That said it is a very good copy. Fits the trunk perfectly and it is real carbon fiber. Extremely light weight as a result. I'm taking the chance since it is very very solidly adhered to the car with the 3M tape and low profile like the original so I expect the shear forces aren't **that** bad. It doesn't budge in the slightest. Now seeing its a knock off I don't feel so clever for having gotten it for around $400. Grrrr/grin.

I was one of those suckers.....received the spoiler and it didn't look like what I remembered from pictures and seeing it at the Tesla service center.

you're fairly new here with a join date of Apr 2014. You might not know that the "standard spoiler" now is has a matte black finish but the early owners (me) the original spoilers were glossy carbon fiber. I can't tell from that pic if it is the glossy or matte version. You may have seen one somewhere but got the different one but there are most definitely two different versions of the spoilers.