Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Falcon 9 Debris Found on Washington Farm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A piece of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that broke apart when returning to land was found on a farm in central Washington, local authorities said last week.

The Grant County Sheriff’s Office tweeted details about the discovery.

“SpaceX recovered a Composite-Overwrapped Pressure Vessel from last week’s Falcon 9 re-entry,” the tweet said. “It was found on private property in southwest Grant County this week. Media and treasure hunters: we are not disclosing specifics. The property owner simply wants to be left alone.”

COPVs are used to store helium to pressurize the propellant tanks of the Falcon 9’s upper stage. 

The Falcon 9 rocket was used on March 4 for the Starlink 17 mission that launched from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The wreckage discovered was part of the company’s second-stage booster. The main booster returns to Earth for a landing, while the second stage is usually set on a trajectory to burn up in the atmosphere above the Pacific Ocean. A malfunction of some sort through the second stage off course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
By luck, my kids and I were on a beach, and got to watch the re-entry, zoom across the horizon. I thought it was a meteor at first, but retrospectively moved much slower . As it was heading towards the States, I think my view was somewhat before most videos in the link. Initially was one bright spot in sky, then "blew up" which left the 'streamers" behind it.

Literally a buddy of mine (our kids were playing on the beach) were discussing Elon for like 20 minutes immediately before this happened, with him taking some stance of we cannot leave it to the 'uber-rich' to save the world., and going on about how ridiculous it is to try to colonize Mars. Once I found out it was space X debris..,I noted 'that's the first warning shot, across the bow, ". Never go against Elon.

there are some decent vids in the twitter thread (click on map) by far the coolest thing i have seen in the sky.

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare and e-FTW
This probably the same COPV (though a different size) that's going to be the the new Roadster SpaceX option. The fact that it can survive an uncontrolled reentry does make you think it'll be OK in a car crash. :)

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
A piece of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that broke apart when returning to land was found on a farm in central Washington, local authorities said last week.

The Grant County Sheriff’s Office tweeted details about the discovery.

“SpaceX recovered a Composite-Overwrapped Pressure Vessel from last week’s Falcon 9 re-entry,” the tweet said. “It was found on private property in southwest Grant County this week. Media and treasure hunters: we are not disclosing specifics. The property owner simply wants to be left alone.”
Continue reading...
Yikes! That COPD would have killed someone if it had hit them. And its all due to a failure of second stage to execute a reentry burn. It's the first S9 MVAC engine failure I'm aware of, and based on that, the probability of failure is less than ~4% ( 1 failure in ~25 LEO insertions). Not as low a failure rate as I would have assumed.

Yikes! That COPD would have killed someone if it had hit them. And its all due to a failure of second stage to execute a reentry burn. It's the first S9 MVAC engine failure I'm aware of, and based on that, the probability of failure is less than ~4% ( 1 failure in ~25 LEO insertions). Not as low a failure rate as I would have assumed.
Hasn't the F9 flown over 100 flights? And this is the first issue of this sort AFAIK. That makes the failure rate <1%.

By luck, my kids and I were on a beach, and got to watch the re-entry, zoom across the horizon. I thought it was a meteor at first, but retrospectively moved much slower . As it was heading towards the States, I think my view was somewhat before most videos in the link. Initially was one bright spot in sky, then "blew up" which left the 'streamers" behind it.

Literally a buddy of mine (our kids were playing on the beach) were discussing Elon for like 20 minutes immediately before this happened, with him taking some stance of we cannot leave it to the 'uber-rich' to save the world., and going on about how ridiculous it is to try to colonize Mars. Once I found out it was space X debris..,I noted 'that's the first warning shot, across the bow, ". Never go against Elon.

there are some decent vids in the twitter thread (click on map) by far the coolest thing i have seen in the sky.

That is a release of LEO satellites by SpaceX for Starlink internet service. We had something almost identical in North Texas the week of April 5, 2021.

Reactions: Ocelot
Hasn't the F9 flown over 100 flights? And this is the first issue of this sort AFAIK. That makes the failure rate <1%.

I recall reading somewhere a week or two ago that this is the fourth anomaly with second stage re-entry. Can't find it and don't know if the anomalies are unrelated.

What are the odds that a piece of COPV would hit anyone? Pretty small, I'd think. Not the top of my list of worries.

Regulatory limit is something like 1 in 10,000 in a 4m^2 area.