Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon 9 FT Block 4 - Zuma - SLC-40 (changed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
There is a placeholder launch set for Cape Canaveral. The license for the launch was okayed. No real details as yet.

Launch Date: November 10th

Speculation is that this is a NROL launch. The license mentions an RTLS. The last NROL SpaceX launch was an RTLS.

The next launch after this is CRS-13 on Nov 28th and is very likely a return to SLC-40.

Last edited by a moderator:
OT
Northrop Grumman
Every time I see this name, I cannot help but have this pop into my mind's eye:
image.php

I used to work in a shop that maintained those trucks.
Today, you know many of them as “the food truck”.

The history of Northrop Grumman: Grumman - Wikipedia
They made some awesome planes like the F4 and the iconic F14 Tomcat
And you know, this thing:
Lunar_Module_diagram.jpg

Sorry, back to regular programming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikxice
The launch date has been pushed out to the 16th. There were also rumors it was moved to the 15th for a while.

Launch Date: November 16th
Launch window: TBD
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Landing type: RTLS

So this will very likely be a LEO launch based on the fact it is an RTLS. The payload was made by Northrop Grumman. It is technically a commercial launch with oversight and support by the government (or a government agency) as some sort of initial test. Perhaps Zuma is part of a larger program that the government will activate if this payload is successful. This launch will use a new Block 4 booster. It is speculated that this new booster was originally intended for the 4th Iridium launch but re-prioritized for this launch. That is why Iridium is choosing to use a previously flown booster instead of waiting and being delayed waiting for a new booster. Zuma is the 17th F9 launch of the year and, if successful, it will be the 20th recovered booster.

This will probably be the last launch out of LC-39A until the modifications to the pad and TEL are finalized to allow for Falcon Heavy. The timing (2 months) for that has been downgraded to a month because of all the modifications that have happened while the pad was active.

No sweat. I'm a grammar/spelling Nazi myself. Typing "hanger" when you meant "hangar" drives me bonkers.
With Vandenberg available, there's no pressing reason for polar orbit flights from Florida. They have done so in the past, however:
Tiros 9 - 22.01.1965 - inclination 96,4°
Tiros 10 - 02.07.1965 - inclination 98,6°
ESSA 1 - 03.02.1966 - inclination 97,9°
ESSA 2 - 28.02.1966 - inclination 101°
ESSA 9 - 26.02.1969 - inclination 101,8°
Robin

Launch delayed 24 hours.
"SpaceX is now targeting Thursday, Nov. 16 for launch of the Zuma mission. Both Falcon 9 and the payload remain healthy; teams will use the extra day to conduct some additional mission assurance work in advance of launch. The launch time and window remain the same for Thursday, opening at 8:00 p.m. EST and remaining open until 10:00 p.m. EST."
Source: Nasa Space Flight Zuma mission public updates thread

Last edited:
I wonder what “mission assurance work” means? I can only make deeply uninformed guesses, so I will refrain. :cool:

I read that to mean: The customer is checking something on their end and so we have to wait 24 hours. Since we have to wait we'll check some of our stuff, but really we're ready to go. :)

It is 24 hours.

Launch Date: November 16th, Thursday
Launch window: 20:00-22:00 EST (01:00-03:00 UTC on 17 November).
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
Landing type: RTLS