Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Crunch 2 - The Obstacle Strikes Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Wohmman just took me aside and said she had to tell me about something that "happened with the car." Never what anyone wants to hear. She took me over to the passenger side FWD, and there was a dent and scratch. She parallel parked, there was a street sign. My son opened the door and the door cleared the post but smacked right into the sign.

Please excuse me while I continue to hate these doors.

IMG_2089.JPG

That's painful to look at. I need to get over it and realize that at some point my kids are going to put a scratch or dent into the car. When it does happen, I'm really hoping that the wrap will protect it from scratching, and any remaining dent can just be popped out.

Ouch!!!!!! That is awful...really need a door shade now. Is that a dent or a scratch? Hopefully it won't be $$$ to fix. Do you think xpel wrap would prevent this damage?

Really have to be careful with these doors

Wohmman just took me aside and said she had to tell me about something that "happened with the car." Never what anyone wants to hear. She took me over to the passenger side FWD, and there was a dent and scratch. She parallel parked, there was a street sign. My son opened the door and the door cleared the post but smacked right into the sign.

Please excuse me while I continue to hate these doors.

View attachment 183667

That's rough. You are obviously a huge Tesla supporter. You've defended Tesla when you thought they were unfairly criticized. You spent plenty on this. Tesla needs to determine whether this is a fixable problem (long term), or sales will come to a screeching halt.

The cost of re engineering a conventional door would be huge, but might be the only answer.

June has been a rough month for Tesla. They certainly have their plate full with potential suspension problems, continuing drive unit problems, the SolarCity acquisition, now the AutoPilot failure. Hopefully they won't forget the customers that brought then this far, as they pivot to engineering the Model 3.

Wohmman sounds like a keeper as she continues to make time to schedule visits to the service center!

Thanks for the well wishes, all. It's a dent and a scratch, and the car isn't wrapped. It looks deep enough that I really don't think a wrap would have saved it, though it might have been a little better. We'll see what the body shop says about how it needs to be fixed.

I've never had my kids open a traditional door into another object, so this is new to me. I've been clear with my son that it's not his fault, since he couldn't see what was behind and above him when opening the door (a traditional door would have opened past the pole without a problem - it was the sign on top that caused the issue).

The lesson, really, is just to be careful when parallel parking, and observe what's next to the space. Just because every other car on the road can open its door safely doesn't mean the X can. It's one more nuance to the ongoing ingress and egress conversation required with your passengers. The main phrase you need to learn is "I've got the doors, don't touch them."

I also want to point out that I, too, am slightly annoyed with the title of this thread. Sure, you haven't mentioned it. But you thought about it, then thought better considering the topic material. Should it be Falcon Crunch IV? Probably. But since this was the sequel to Falcon Crunch 1, that seemed like a jump. Attack of the Obstacles might have been better, but the reference is kind of vague. Plus, Empire is the best.

Not that I care.

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes, all. It's a dent and a scratch, and the car isn't wrapped. It looks deep enough that I really don't think a wrap would have saved it, though it might have been a little better. We'll see what the body shop says about how it needs to be fixed.

I've never had my kids open a traditional door into another object, so this is new to me. I've been clear with my son that it's not his fault, since he couldn't see what was behind and above him when opening the door (a traditional door would have opened past the pole without a problem - it was the sign on top that caused the issue).

The lesson, really, is just to be careful when parallel parking, and observe what's next to the space. Just because every other car on the road can open its door safely doesn't mean the X can. It's one more nuance to the ongoing ingress and egress conversation required with your passengers. The main phrase you need to learn is "I've got the doors, don't touch them."
The first time hurts the most. After that, I kinda get numb. That's why I'm debating whether to spend the money on a wrap. It is inevitably going to get dinged up. If it was me, and it may be in a few weeks, I'd consider not even fixing it. Battle scars....just a matter of time.

Reactions: Rytis
My son opened the door and the door cleared the post but smacked right into the sign.
Sorry to hear this. I know both your son and spouse (Wohmman) feel terrible. My spouse will not even drive the car in fear of something like this happening.

I am having a bit of trouble visualizing what actually happened. Was the sign that was impacted by the door on top of the post that the door missed? So the sign stuck out may 6" to 12" from the top of post and the door opened OK to avoid the post but then impaled itself on the sign? If so that is an artifact of doors that swing up. It is going to be very difficult to guard for that and none of us have that model in our brains at this point.

Sorry to hear this. I know both your son and spouse (Wohmman) feel terrible. My spouse will not even drive the car in fear of something like this happening.
My wife was very surprised that I had a minimal reaction. I just asked for details and talked about the changes we could make to avoid it happening again. I mean, it's a car. I'm not going to devalue the relationship I have with my family over a car.

I am having a bit of trouble visualizing what actually happened. Was the sign that was impacted by the door on top of the post that the door missed? So the sign stuck out may 6" to 12" from the top of post and the door opened OK to avoid the post but then impaled itself on the sign? If so that is an artifact of doors that swing up. It is going to be very difficult to guard for that and none of us have that model in our brains at this point.

Correct. As my wife describes it, the sign was perpendicular to the street like you'd see with most parking signs. If the post was merely that - a post - it wouldn't have ever hit. However, the sign protruded into the space above the door and that's where it made contact.

Essentially, don't park close to signs, but if you do, make sure that your passengers exit street side when possible.