Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Door Collided with Front Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my assumptions are correct about Tesla having a young engineering team (and they might not be), this is actually one of the few advantages other car manufacturers have over Tesla -- more experienced engineers. Not smarter, just more experienced. They've already moved past those kind of mistakes.

Maybe it was an old engineer who dismissed young engineers suggestions on the account that he is more experienced . :)

• Funny
Reactions: Softwizard
Watching doors close it seemed the "explosion", I mean baby kiss would be between the front door window tip and the FWD. I noticed you can stop the FWD in any position by pressing the Key fob. I will try to stop the FWD in the vulnerable area and move the front door to see if it's a possible problem. I'm not sure from photo what two points Kissed.

Watching doors close it seemed the "explosion", I mean baby kiss would be between the front door window tip and the FWD. I noticed you can stop the FWD in any position by pressing the Key fob. I will try to stop the FWD in the vulnerable area and move the front door to see if it's a possible problem. I'm not sure from photo what two points Kissed.

I think the movement of the doors introduces additional variables which make it possible to happen. I spent not a ton of time but 5 minutes or so trying just the same thing (and I have the scar to prove where the glass hit) and wasn't able to reproduce.

I'll never understand the obsessive need for some on here to manage the message. It's incredibly pedantic and fanboy-ish. The doors collided. Maybe next time they will do damage?
An accurate description of an event is always preferable to an exaggerated description. You are welcome to disagree.

They really said that? So YOU were doing it wrong - I think it's time to open Tesla University. Unbelievable.

I sure hope that they say that to buy some time to fix it with software.

Yep. They didn't blame me though, they said they didn't realize it until after cars started shipping so now they are trying to educate customers on the possibility.

I agree with others that possible some design changes for future vehicles and possible software changes for existing vehicles may be in the works. In fact they could probably just roll the front door window down an extra 1/4" when it is open and this likely wouldn't occur at all.

Please point out exactly where I exaggerated.
Correct me if I'm wrong by saying a hit to the tip of the tempered glass could cause it to explode. I've done this many times to dispose of tempered glass. It would be funny to point out the proper Tesla language vs normal common sense language. Oh sir, your doors didn't collide. They just bumped because your not pressing the button right. Please review the 32,000 word document before you try to open your door. Be sure to educate anyone coming near your vehicle.

A software fix should be the solution for doors that have the potential for clashing within their respective arcs. Customer education won't be sufficient in the long run. Used car buyers don't get that sort of walk through of their cars.

We had this issue on the aircraft program I work on. Two mechanized doors had arcs that could clash under rare circumstances. It happened a few times and instructions were changed educating mechanics about the system. It continued to happen. The software was eventually re-written to prevent the scenario entirely. No more clashes.

If trained aircraft mechanics couldn't figure out the procedures 100%, there is no way the general driving public will.

How did the Wiki author conclude that this was not possible? I'd have to examine the doors, but it could easily be possible. Depending on where the vertical plane of the front door hinge is and how the front door is shaped, part of the door could swing rearward when opening, easily putting it in the FWD path. This isn't necessarily an issue of tolerances, depending on how much of the door is inside the plane of the hinge it could swing rearward by a couple to several mm.

By "plane of the hinge" I assume that the hinge is vertical (so that the door doesn't raise or droop as it swings), and consider a plane that passes through the center of the rotation of the hinge, parallel to the axis of the hinge and perpendicular to the swinging motion/direction, and extends straight forward and backward. Basically, this plane would slice off the side of the car down the entire length if it was a real object. Any part of the door will be at its most rearward position as it passes through that plane. If any part of the front door is on the inside of that plane when the door is closed, then that part of the door *WILL* swing towards the rear of the car as it opens reaching its most conflicting position as it passes through that plane.

Most cars that I've seen have parts of the car door that are interior to the vertical plane of the hinge, especially where the top of the door curves in to meet the roof line.

So, is all of the front door entirely outside the vertical plane of the hinge when it is fully closed? If not, then it will swing back and the amount that it swings back could easily be greater than the distance between the two.

A simple experiment to try would be to very carefully set up a camera perpendicular to the rear of the front door and take a video of the door as it swings open and see if any part of the door swings towards the rear and by how much (i.e. does it overlap the view of the FWD?). Anybody with a really accurate compass want to try that? Alternately, open the door and take a picture aimed directly at the hinge, aligned along the longitudinal axis of the door (the line that would be straight front/back if the door was closed) and see if any part of the door is on the "interior" side of that plane.

How did the Wiki author conclude that this was not possible? I'd have to examine the doors, but it could easily be possible. Depending on where the vertical plane of the front door hinge is and how the front door is shaped, part of the door could swing rearward when opening, easily putting it in the FWD path. This isn't necessarily an issue of tolerances, depending on how much of the door is inside the plane of the hinge it could swing rearward by a couple to several mm.
I believe they got a statement from Tesla and people manually tried a comprehensive set of archs with their cars and couldn't find a point where the two doors would collide. No one was able to get the doors to collide (the point was only brought up because of some warnings by DS).

However, manufacturing tolerances and differences in the arch when motorized vs manually operated may account for this happening.

col·lide
kəˈlīd/
verb
  1. hit with force when moving.
    "she collided with someone"
    synonyms: crash into, hit, strike, impact, run into, bump into, meet head-on, cannon into, plow into, barrel into
    "the trains collided with each other"

You obviously haven't seen how fast the front doors close on Model X. The window "hit" the Falcon Door with "impact". The "strike" caused damage to the door. I suggest if you don't believe me, place your fingers in the door jam of a Model X front door and tell it to auto close. If you don't feel like the door "collided" with your fingers, then I will have a mod edit the title of my post.

col·lide
kəˈlīd/
verb
  1. hit with force when moving.
    "she collided with someone"
    synonyms: crash into, hit, strike, impact, run into, bump into, meet head-on, cannon into, plow into, barrel into
    "the trains collided with each other"

ped·ant
ˈpednt/
noun
  1. a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.
    synonyms: dogmatist, purist, literalist, formalist, doctrinaire, perfectionist; More
Give it a rest fanboy. His doors collided.......

Another update, just heard back from my service center and the factory has been able to reproduce the collision and it is now a matter of customer education that a collision is possible if the doors close in just the right manner.
Ah, the Tesla Model X sure is turning out to be an interesting example of engineering prowess. :(

Vitold, this rare but "possible if the doors close in just the right manner" collision won't likely be fixable by software unless Tesla actually prevents you from closing the doors the same time, or just aborts. Yuck.