Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Door Collided with Front Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, the Tesla Model X sure is turning out to be an interesting example of engineering prowess. :(

Vitold, this rare but "possible if the doors close in just the right manner" collision won't likely be fixable by software unless Tesla actually prevents you from closing the doors the same time, or just aborts. Yuck.

If front door is commanded to close or open and FWd is in 'collision zone' delay opening or closing front door, beep once. Once FWd goes past the zone - continue door command. I would guess the delay would be no longer than 1-2 seconds.

Another way, if there are two motors in FWd, could be to advance rear motor sooner to keep tension on the door frame to keep it from twisting towards the front door.

I've been waiting for the finger pinch comment. I'd seen some video of this happening early on. I pinched my knuckle on my index finger the other day while leaving a Mexican restaurant. Giant metal doors. Door handle protruded far from door. Had my finger on the outside edge and when it passed by the other door there wasn't enough gap for my finger to pass. Still hurts 8 days later. I won't do the same in my X

Yes, my fingers narrowly escaped in the last second while remembering coming across this in the manual:

upload_2016-5-26_22-4-7.png

Speaking of closing front door, it had happened to me once where the driver door was confused. I closed it very gently by pushing it slowing until latched, and was surprised to find the window overlapping the chrome frame on the outside (a la Adam Levines). After a minute of fiddling, opening the door and lower the window got it back to normal again. Since then, I never use the auto close function as I'm pretty convinced the slamming from auto close would either shatter the glass or scratch the frame. I'd prefer auto close to be soft close to have the premium, civilized feel.

• Informative
Reactions: newtman and cwerdna
I had this occur once. I forget the specific circumstance, but the doors grazed each other and pulled on a piece of the trim. I think I had the front passenger door ajar and then closed the FW door. No damage. I picked up my car in mid May. The DS warned me about the possibility of the doors hitting. Based on my early read from this forum - I corrected him and said fingers could be pinched but the doors don't collide. Looks like he was right.

...for the search bots

Marietta Man Escapes Brush With Death In Unexpected Tesla Model X Collision

May 26, 2016

A Marietta man narrowly escaped serious injury when the front door and falcon wing door of his 2016 Tesla Model X collided in a shameless display of inadequate engineering and software programming. @CmdrThor related the harrowing story of near wanton destruction and terror to this reporter.

"I had just parked and plugged in at work and one of my coworkers stopped to check out the car. Her son is in my son's daycare class so I wanted to show off the Falcon Doors and how well it works with our car seat and such. When I was done I pressed the inside switch to close the passenger side Falcon Door and then pulled the inside handle of the front passenger door to show how it closes by itself. And then *WHACK* they collided. The Falcon Door continued closing and the front door stopped a few inches open."

Resident brand protectionists decried the event as "sensationalism".

We'll continue to watch this story closely.

I think the problem is that the driver / passenger doors can also be closed manually. If the FWD is closing and you quickly close the driver's door manually, I really doubt there is time for the FWD to get out of the way and avoid a collision. The only way to be sure it increase the clearance or maybe keep the driver's window rolled down more when open (assuming this is the point of contact).

A software fix should be the solution for doors that have the potential for clashing within their respective arcs. Customer education won't be sufficient in the long run. Used car buyers don't get that sort of walk through of their cars.

We had this issue on the aircraft program I work on. Two mechanized doors had arcs that could clash under rare circumstances. It happened a few times and instructions were changed educating mechanics about the system. It continued to happen. The software was eventually re-written to prevent the scenario entirely. No more clashes.

If trained aircraft mechanics couldn't figure out the procedures 100%, there is no way the general driving public will.

Sorry to reactivate an old thread but this exact scenario just happened to me, so no software fix out that I'm aware of. The FWD doors seem fairly well aligned when closed and have been working OK (except with the hinge snap that is happening as reported by some others as it opens and closes)

And it was a definite CLUNK, and then a SCRAPE...lo
20161023_200726[1].jpg
20161023_200803[1].jpg
l

Sorry to reactivate an old thread but this exact scenario just happened to me, so no software fix out that I'm aware of. The FWD doors seem fairly well aligned when closed and have been working OK (except with the hinge snap that is happening as reported by some others as it opens and closes)

And it was a definite CLUNK, and then a SCRAPE...lo

Sad day :(

Tesla ended up taking care of me by replacing my paint protective film on the door. Luckily I had no paint damage. Hopefully they will get your door fixed. To this day I avoid closing both doors at the same time.