Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Door destroys paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a model x where the falcon doors don't rub off the paint ? Wondering if it not everyone - meaning the doors are just not installed correctly?
I can understand your frustration. ..it haunts I have not seen a definite fix for that. .maybe we should check Elon's. .I remember someone was proudly showing off his doors don't do the same damage as mine.

Mine FWDs are starting to rub off a little bit of paint also near the middle instead of the bottom for a 1 month old car. Since currently there's no major rubbing and the realignment might just cause other issues, I just stick 2 small square layers of 3M clear packing tape on it in hopes to alleviate the rubbing on the paint.

Mine FWDs are starting to rub off a little bit of paint also near the middle instead of the bottom for a 1 month old car. Since currently there's no major rubbing and the realignment might just cause other issues, I just stick 2 small square layers of 3M clear packing tape on it in hopes to alleviate the rubbing on the paint.

Wow. Not 1 person has had doors that don't rub off the paint so far? How is that an acceptable build?

Huh did you get this from exhaustive survey of model X owners? If so include me in your sample. Owned model X for a year now, over 10 K miles. Falcon doors without issue. Have never hit any obstruction or went out of alignment.
Ok good. That what I want to hear that there are some without paint rubbing off. Thanks! You are the only one to say so far.

Gives hope that cars with paint coming off may be from bad builds then. Currently tesla says there is no fix for the doors rubbing and that is just how they are. But if yours aren't rubbing then maybe just bad builds that should be corrected.

i have a two week old X, same issue. I noticed it in the same area you have as well as mid door nearest the window line. I put some Xpel on it, but it probably will need to be replaced. What sucks is otherwise my doors are perfectly aligned, so I'm afraid to even have the SC mess with them.

You guys are funny, in the end what does it matter if a little paint rubs off in the door jams? Every car I have owned rubs off paint where the rubber thingys on the doors or hatch meet the body. Enjoy your car, watch the sunset, smile at a stranger and forget about the door jams.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebfio
Just noticed this marred plastic from the FWD, near the rubbed metal area.
IMG_1379.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
The same long road trip that left dust enough to show the FWD rubbing on the wheel trim also showed the source of the trouble where the the FWD is rubbing off the paint.
pic - 1b.jpg

The depression in the plastic (red dot) does not match the proud painted area and rubs on the shoulder of the depression (red arrow). Changing the shape of this plastic piece should solve the problem.

Attachments

• pic - 1.jpg
    pic - 1.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I can't really tell how this is happening from the pictures. My X is coming home from wrap installer on Friday and i would like to know what to look out for.
Thx
See the image in post #29. The overexposed shiny part with the clear rectangle of wrap material is where the paint in being rubbed off (not what that image was for). In post #30 is the part of the FWD which rubs on the painted part.

I stuck some 3M velcro (soft side) on the plastic door panel which is rubbing the paint off the wheel arch. I had the Vancouver service center adjust my doors for the rubbing issue and also a driver side FWD groan and they are both still issues. I'm not going to bother with bringing it back in again as there doesn't seem to be a fix. I'll probably trade the X back in for another X or the pickup they hopefully be releasing in the near future.

Huh did you get this from exhaustive survey of model X owners? If so include me in your sample. Owned model X for a year now, over 10 K miles. Falcon doors without issue. Have never hit any obstruction or went out of alignment.
The issue is not "hitting obstructions" or "out of alignment", the issue that, when closed, FWD rubs off paint from the body. You have it too.