Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon door upper roof seal ripped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 17 MX has a broken roof seal. See attached pic. I tried to use silicone adhesive to reattach it, but it did not work. Not much to attach to. When I contacted the SC, they initially said the seal could be replaced by mobile service. About two hours later, they changed their mind and said the car had to be at a SC. And, they said that the glass and the rubber seal had to be replaced as the seal is "bonded" to the glass. Cost $1,500. The seal is listed as a separate part in the parts cataloge.This is extremely disappointing. Has anyone had a positive experience they can share to help me minimize the $ damage. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220623_092443.jpg
    20220623_092443.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 189
I dont have a positive experience regarding the rubber weather trim. They had to keep my 2019 MX for two days at the SC because they had to replace the rubber weather strip. I was told the same when mine was replaced. Fortunately mine was covered by warranty.

My 17 MX has a broken roof seal. See attached pic. I tried to use silicone adhesive to reattach it, but it did not work. Not much to attach to. When I contacted the SC, they initially said the seal could be replaced by mobile service. About two hours later, they changed their mind and said the car had to be at a SC. And, they said that the glass and the rubber seal had to be replaced as the seal is "bonded" to the glass. Cost $1,500. The seal is listed as a separate part in the parts cataloge.This is extremely disappointing. Has anyone had a positive experience they can share to help me minimize the $ damage. Thanks.
I contacted Tesla Service through my mobile app for my 2018 MX and they provided mobile service, replaced both rubber strips on the roof of the falcon wing doors and did it all for free. Service took about an hour. Give it a try!

I contacted Tesla Service through my mobile app for my 2018 MX and they provided mobile service, replaced both rubber strips on the roof of the falcon wing doors and did it all for free. Service took about an hour. Give it a try!
Wow!!!! I originally went through the app and they responded with replacing the seals on the mobile service. But two hours later they messaged me that it was SC only and replace one glas and one seal -----$1,500. Did they do this under warranty for you?

Wow!!!! I originally went through the app and they responded with replacing the seals on the mobile service. But two hours later they messaged me that it was SC only and replace one glas and one seal -----$1,500. Did they do this under warranty for you?
Maybe it was under warranty--I had the MX for less than 3 years. Similarly, they mentioned to me that they would need to replace the glass and the seal because they were one piece (the seal couldn't be installed without the glass), so I received two (left and right) new glass panels with the new seal. There was still some residue on the ceiling panel exterior, but I was able to scrub it off. So far so good...the seals are not deteriorating or falling off. It's been about 6 months.

Had same issue of worn out/missing roof rubber seals on my 2018 Model X; Just paid Tesla $2500 to replace the two glass panels. They don't replace the rubber itself, but have to replace the entire glass panels. Terrible waste and costly. Now even the new panels, the rubber is not completely covering the gaps. Terrible design Tesla and poor customer service, making your loyal customers pay for your design defects. Hopefully water won't seep in the Seattle rain.

Had same issue of worn out/missing roof rubber seals on my 2018 Model X; Just paid Tesla $2500 to replace the two glass panels. They don't replace the rubber itself, but have to replace the entire glass panels. Terrible waste and costly. Now even the new panels, the rubber is not completely covering the gaps. Terrible design Tesla and poor customer service, making your loyal customers pay for your design defects. Hopefully water won't seep in the Seattle rain.
The roof rubber seal on the X is very thin and therefore is subject to tearing. This is made worse if the glass roof panel is not aligned perfectly with the rear trim. On my car the passenger roof is aligned perfectly and consequently the rubber seal is fine. On the drivers side, the glass panel (with the seal attached) is fractionally lower than the trim piece that it is supposed to align to, which causes the seal to eventually tear. The challenge is that the falcon doors are quite complicated to align perfectly. Change one adjustment point and something else is off. According to the service manual there are adjustments for the glass itself. Since you just spent big $$$$ to replace the glass/seall, you may wish to check that the glass panels and rear trim pieces are exactly at the same level. On a positive not, they are not likely to leak even if they don't align perfectly.